ELK - 348 PB or 580 HydraCon?

2_Point

Very Active Member
I have an elk hunt coming up the end of Sept. on a LTD unit here in Utah. I will be using a 50 cal TC Hawken with a Green Mountain barrel. Just wondering if anyone has had experience with the aerotip 348 gr Powerbelts? I have tried them and they group well. I just don't know much about how they will hold up.

Also wondering about the HydraCon, by Parker Bullets. Anyone have experience with them?

I have always had great results shooting round balls for deer in my old TC 50 and a custom 54, but I don't feel as confident firing a .54 round ball at a mature bull elk.

I think you will be just fine with the 348's. That is what my brother is shooting this year. I am shooting the 405 powerbelts.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

LAST EDITED ON Aug-25-04 AT 08:45AM (MST)[p]That 348 with your Hawkens moderate powder charges will be fine. Powerbelt expansions are more of problem with magnum powder charges 120-150. A little slower Belt (100 grains) usually opens up/works correctly. One that's moving too fast goes thru soft tissue & exits without opening or explodes upon impact sometimes.

You may want to try the 405 Belts if you can find them in ATs. They will bench-hit an inch or two lower on your 100 yard target... real close to the 348s & offer you more devasting knockdown power/size.

Also... just the thought of squeezing the trigger with a 580-grain bullet in a bore the size of a 28 gauge makes me flinch at my computer desk...lol

............."KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY".............

Thanks for the responses. I will try the 405s Powerbelts if I can find some. I am using 100gr of FFF black. I usually use 90gr for round balls. I want to keep the shot within 120 yards. I always hate changing to bullets that I have no experience with. I have heard both good and bad concerning the PB. I sure don't want to be chasing a wounded mature bull elk with a ML.

Triple- Yeah that 580gr coupled with the steel buttplate on my Hawken sounded like a little too much for my shoulder also.

Just like anything else, you hit them right and they will go down. Pb's are good bullets no matter what they all say, just shot 348's today out to 200yds thru an inline though and I like them so much I hate to take the time to clean it once in a while, 120gr of trip7 *sweet* My hawken is my backup gun and I like 295's with 90gr of double F, There both goin to CO with me next week, and hearing about the snow makes it even better!

If you'd like to shoot a connical check out no excuses.com they make a fine bullet that should shoot VERYgood in your hawken . good luck on your hunt... Dan

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom