Elk antler poacher fined, loses hunting privileges for 3 years

Liontamer

Apr 16, 2024 - Jackson Hole News and Guide

Just weeks before the legal antler hunt season on public lands opens May 1 for Wyoming residents and May 8 for others, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service announced stiff penalties against an antler poacher.
An Idaho man who illegally took elk antlers from the National Elk Refuge and Bridger-Teton National Forest and tried to sell them has been fined $6,000, banned for three years from Wyoming public lands and lost all hunting privileges worldwide for three years, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service said in a news release.
“The defendant pled guilty to a felony charge of the attempted transport and sale of more than 1,000pounds of poached antlers, valued at roughly $18,000,” the release said. “Illegally collecting and selling antlers is a violation of the federal Lacey Act, which prohibits the transportation and sale of illegally obtained wildlife. The state of Wyoming also forbids offseason antler collection from public lands west of the Continental Divide.”
In Wyoming, antler collection is prohibited until May to protect winter-weakened wildlife from the stress of human presence. Antler collection is illegal at all times on the National Elk Refuge.
Fish and Wildlife worked the poacher case with the U.S. Forest Service and the Wyoming Game and Fish Department. They announced the penalties with the hope of deterring others from flouting shed antler collection rules.
“These types of violations are an ongoing problem; as the market value of antlers keeps going up, we are experiencing more theft and trespassing on the Elk Refuge,” Fish and Wildlife’s David Bonham said in the release.

Worldwide ban in places such as Africa?? Hahahahahahaha apparently the judge is pretty naive when it comes to how things work outside of North America.
It may be a conditional plea? If he goes hunting during that timeframe the judge can then throw the book at him. Kind of like probation.

Apr 16, 2024 - Jackson Hole News and Guide

Just weeks before the legal antler hunt season on public lands opens May 1 for Wyoming residents and May 8 for others, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service announced stiff penalties against an antler poacher.
An Idaho man who illegally took elk antlers from the National Elk Refuge and Bridger-Teton National Forest and tried to sell them has been fined $6,000, banned for three years from Wyoming public lands and lost all hunting privileges worldwide for three years, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service said in a news release.
“The defendant pled guilty to a felony charge of the attempted transport and sale of more than 1,000pounds of poached antlers, valued at roughly $18,000,” the release said. “Illegally collecting and selling antlers is a violation of the federal Lacey Act, which prohibits the transportation and sale of illegally obtained wildlife. The state of Wyoming also forbids offseason antler collection from public lands west of the Continental Divide.”
In Wyoming, antler collection is prohibited until May to protect winter-weakened wildlife from the stress of human presence. Antler collection is illegal at all times on the National Elk Refuge.
Fish and Wildlife worked the poacher case with the U.S. Forest Service and the Wyoming Game and Fish Department. They announced the penalties with the hope of deterring others from flouting shed antler collection rules.
“These types of violations are an ongoing problem; as the market value of antlers keeps going up, we are experiencing more theft and trespassing on the Elk Refuge,” Fish and Wildlife’s David Bonham said in the release.
God, I can think of three Wyoming residents who are punching a hole in the drywall or beating their wife because it’s not an Utah resident! 😂😂

I read an article about another Douche Bag that got caught in the same area Twice. He is or was an antler dealer / dog chews . He got busted in 2016 & again in 2021 same closed areas both on Federal lands !! He had Felony & misdemeanor charges was also banned from stepping onto ANY Federal lands, then did it again !!!! Guess it's true you can't fix Stupid !!

I read an article about another Douche Bag that got caught in the same area Twice. He is or was an antler dealer / dog chews . He got busted in 2016 & again in 2021 same closed areas both on Federal lands !! He had Felony & misdemeanor charges was also banned from stepping onto ANY Federal lands, then did it again !!!! Guess it's true you can't fix Stupid !!
name is Joshua Anders Rae...real POS of a human. lives up in montana now and I wouldnt be surprised if he still tries ****. . Years ago he sucker punched a local in the back of the head in the alley behind a bar, left him for dead. Guy hasnt been the same since, and he got off pretty easy for what it was.

name is Joshua Anders Rae...real POS of a human. lives up in montana now and I wouldnt be surprised if he still tries ****. . Years ago he sucker punched a local in the back of the head in the alley behind a bar, left him for dead. Guy hasnt been the same since, and he got off pretty easy for what it was.
Sounds like he Aint to smart !! I would have thought the 2nd time he was busted they would have thrown his azz in prison. Since it was a repeat Felony offense & was on Federal property !! Hell I know guys here in Idaho that have poached animals for years & years & have NOT been caught !! Last year a couple of local Idiots finally got hammered, but I would almost guarantee that doesnt stop them from doing it again !!!

Off topic, but who the hell started the marketing campaign that made antlers out to be good chew toys? I have a garage full but I'd never let my dog chew on one. Might as well let your dog chew on a rock. Probably a vet trying to drum up business to fix broken teeth.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom