Elk "drives"

virgil125

Is it legal to try and drive elk in Colorado? The reason I ask myself and a couple of buddies went into a big canyon that rarely anyone goes into and has some thick spots and almost always has a few elk holed up in it. Well while we were in there we had a guy just start yelling and hollering at us for driving elk and how it is illegal in Colorado and how he was going to call the DOW on us. Was he right or just crabby because he wasnt seeing any elk either?

It has always been my understanding that it becomes illegal when vehicles are used to drive elk.

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

We ran into a group of guys in Unit 521 that were driving with their horses. The guy said "we are trying to do it like we hunt whitetails back home in Arkansas".

Being from PA...I didnt know if it was legal in CO or not.

Kinda hard to find elk when guys are driving them off the mountain with horses.

I don't see anything wrong with pushing animals around. We all do it wether it's intentional or not. Someone may push every animal there is off a mountian, but who's to say the nuts on the other side aren't pushing other animals to you? When I tag out I usually try to position myself to push animals to my buddies, if there are any there to begin with. I don't know anyone who wouldn't do the same for thier friends. Who cares if it's on a little larger scale? At least you will know where the animals AREN'T going to be! As for the horses, you may want to find some deeper nastier stuff to hunt. The kind of stuff where horses won't be found, because that's where the elk are when the pressure is on. If you're hunting open country, all I can say is good luck.

I don't think it's illegal as alot of guides do it, set up their clients than go drive the timber on horses.

25 or 30 years ago the CO regs said that is was illegal to have game drives or pushing game to other hunters. I don't remember how it was worded but it wasn't allowed. It may still be on the books as illegal but a lot of people do it.

I've read the regs, quite a bit, and don't remember seeing anything like that.

Also, it is standard practice in many states.

Now, that said, I assume that you mean on foot, or horseback. W/an ATVv, jeep, or other mechanized item, there might be something in the books that I missed...as I thought that I wouldn't be doing that anyways.

John 14:6

I looked at the regs last night...under the, "It is illegal to:" section, it only talks about w/vehicles and airplanes...stuff w/motors on em.

So, I'd say that it is legal to do so.
John 14:6

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom