Elk fighting?

gb22

Very Active Member
On a TV program, LIFE AT TABLE MOUNTAIN, they just showed a hunter arrow a good-sized bull that was locked in a fight with another. Was better than MUST-SEE TV. They repeatedly said, "I've never seen ANYTHING this before...not even on TV".

Have you (or similar)?

I once shot a big five point, that was fighting with a 6x6 that I didn't think was as large. My son and his buddy were up real close to two big (I was far away watching) bulls that were fighting real hard...scared the crap out of them (they were 12).

I called a small 6x6 in to a distance of about 1 foot. He stayed there for well over a minute. My (rookie) son-in-law thought that bull was going to fight us!! (Scared the crap out of him....almost literally.)

Within the shadows, go quietly.

I sneaked to within a couple of little raghorns in CO 2 years ago that were just pretending but I got to within 12 yards or so and then passed on them. Just wanted to see how close I could get.
They were a 4 and 5 point.
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

I had a cow tag a few years ago and as I was working in on some cows and in th eprocess I snuck in on two huge bulls which at that moment started fighting. I got to about 10 yards and believe me I didn't want anything to do with getting any closer. It was a HUGE thrill and scary as hell to watch an actual fight so up close you could almost touch it. Rocks the size on my fist come flying threw the dust until finally one bull knocked the other off his feet. The bull that fell rolled back up on his feet and got the heck out of dodge. After it was all over (about maybe 2 minutes) and the bull that won walked off with a bugle I turned to go back in the direction I came from and a dang cow was standing there less than 15 yards watching me! I was too shook up to get a shot if she would have offered it. What a thrill that was.

GBA

I seen the show too. It was really cool. I've seen that twice on tv now and both times the bull didn't know it was even hit until is legs collapsed.

Elkoholic.gif

Not bad at all... I like this one too...

Fight is at 3:00... just watch...

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

There is an awesome fight scene on one of the McClendon Awesome Bulls videos. It is either awesome bulls I or Awesome bulls II. If I recall the bow hunter shoots 3 or 4 times from about 15 yards before he finally hits one. The elk had no idea anyone was around and watching. One of the coolest things I have ever seen on a hunting video.

On my Wasatch archery hunt I had 2 bulls fighting right in front of me. In fact, I got peppered with dirt and sagebrush several times before they broke it up. When the fight ended, the losing bull ran right past me at about 3 yards. One of the most impressive things I have ever witnessed before. I have seen several elk fights before but this is the only time I felt like I was right in the middle of it.

It's always an adventure!!!

I saw that episode as well. Pretty cool!

I was wondering how come he shot the smaller of the 2 bulls?

Either way though, one heck of an experience I am sure.

I have never been that close but I have watched a couple of mulies fight through the spotter.

"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

I've seen multiple elk battles-probably avg one a day- in prime Arizona units but have only seen one every couple years in OTC Co units

"In nature there are neither rewards nor punishments; there are consequences"
Robert Green Ingersoll

Not an elk but a whitetail...

Quite a few years ago I was whitetail hunting in Iowa and the group I was with came across 2 bucks with 6 does duking it out in the center of a plowed corn field. One buck was a beautiful 17 inch wide 8 point with tine length to match (kind of a pretty boy) and the other was a scrappy 14 inch 8 point with hardly a point over an inch long left on his head gear. We thought we would put a stalk on and see what happens. We snuck to within about 100yds using a fence line and small hill rises and waited. Both animals were frothing at the mouth with steam pouring from their breathe. Corn stalks, dirt, and fur was flying through the air with neither buck giving any ground. Finally after over an hour of battling the beauty buck turned and broke away towards my partner and was soon harvested. The scrapper buck stood his ground for a long minute looking around catching his breathe with his legs stiff and the hair on his back raised showing his tough stuff. He turned and made a bead line toward me and shortly there after his fate was sealed too and I had just harvested an old warrior. His face and body was filled with scars and his fur was grey with age. Tough old bugger he was. My coolest whitetail to date.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

Wow cool story! You guys killed both combatants! This is proof that fighting over a girl is harmful to your health! LOL
Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom