elk howler

M

mmbeeeer

I just received my E.L.K howler in the mail yesterday and like it already. It seems to have good pitch and volume. All I need to know now is what kind of series do you use? I hd a tape that tells how to use a howler but cant find it anywhere. I am going tomorrow to hunt (try and call) coyotes and would appreciate some help. Thanks in advance, Brian

Brian,
I wish I had some more expirence using the howling stuff. I've tried it a little in combination with some distress but I think in the next month howling will be the best way to get them in. Randy Anderson produces tapes called "The Verminators" that explain calling and such. Another resource is www.predatormasters.com who have a board all about calling. Good luck and keep the inbreds updated on how it goes.

Ed, www.swhounds.com

Well, I tired it for the first time last night on the extreme west side of the white tank mtns west of Phoenix AZ. I didnt get any coyotes to come in but think I heard a lion growl at me. I never saw the thing but heard noise about 75 ards or so away in a gullies/canyon and then heard a growl. I have heard lion growls/roars on tape and this sounded similar. But who knows. Like I said I never saw it. But it sure was good coyote country and the wind and everything was perfect. Sure couldnt believe I didnt call anything in. Thanks for the info and I am already registered at Predator masters. :O) It is a good site with a lot of god info. Later, Brian

Hey Brian,

That is a good howler! I have a modified version of that call, from Rich Higgins. He uses the mouth piece and attaches it to a cow horn, then adds some cool metal accents in the shape of a sunburst and coyote head. I will try to post up a picture.

Ed steered you to a great site with lots of info. Search on howling and you will come up with a ton of info. There area bunch of good videos out that show some howling.

Right now coyotes are beginning to pair up to mate. I think the best two howls you can use now are the yip-howl for locating and the lone howl for calling them in. The lone howl used in conjuction with a distress call works well...especially in areas where there is calling pressure and guys do not normally howl.

Search that site and you will find TONS of info...good luck!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom