Elk in the Bighorns?

torowy

I am planning on hunting Elk in the bighorns this fall. Mostly archery. I don't know the country up there. I was wondering if anyone could give me a few pointers on what might be some good areas to scout. I used to hunt the western part of the state.

I will be mostly hunting on foot. But I might have access to horses to pack stuff out.

What unit did you draw and what dates do you plan on going? The BigHorns cover a lot of different units!

I have a general tag. Right now I was looking at unit 37. I plan on hunting the archery opening week for sure, and whatever I need to after that.

I assume you are a non-resident if you have a tag already...the General season opens for archery Sept. 15th, so the hope is for area 37 is no snow has hit the Big Horns by then (hopefully the snow that is up there now melts off by then too), most the elk will head to the face on private grounds if it snows. If it has not snowed by then, area 37 can be a good hunt, lots of elk and decent bulls roam the area!

just get away from those roads. there is plenty of roads to access stuff. lots and lots of people drive the roads and bugle and drive on and repeat.i drive over highway 14a every weekend during the summer and highway 14 or 16 during the winter to go home and i see a good share of elk.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-06-11 AT 12:28PM (MST)[p]
All big game in Wyoming is by draw and then in the case of elk, deer, and antelope if there are any leftover licenses they go on sale OTC on certain dates. There are very few archery only permits issued and I will have to check on 37 and see if it's one of them. For the majority of the licenses you either apply for a specific unit or for a general elk tag and if you get drawn you can then buy an archery permit to hunt that special season. I'll make an addendum as soon as I check on 37.

ADDENDUM: Unit 37 is under the General Elk tag and also has a Type 9 LE Archery Only tag that is separate in the draw and only good for an area south of Wolf Creek Trail (USFS #001)off the Bighorn National Forest. Therefore, he will be able to buy the separate archery permit to go along with his General tag and that hunt is 9/15-9/30 in unit 37. He can also use it in any other general tag area, as well as in the rifle seasons that have varying dates if he doesn't fill it with his bow. He cannot bow hunt in the adjacent unit 38 as that entire unit is a Type 9 Archery tag in a separate drawing like the one section of 37 he won't be able to go in either.

Topgun has it right, there is also area 36 (south side off area 37) in the Big Horns that is a "General" area, that follows the same basic regulations as 37. I believe that these are the only two areas in the Big Horns that can be hunted with a General tag, all other areas are LE draws and can not be hunted via "General tag". Both General areas (36&37) have plenty of elk and can be very good hunting.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom