Elk unit 39 concern...

tenaciousC

Starting October 15th I have a rifle elk tag in unit 39. I know this is probably one of the toughest seasons to kill a good bull. Does anyone have any advice on the unit or any advice on hunting bulls that time of year? I am nervous because i have never hunted elk that late in the year. I have taken a six bulls with my bow but only in august and september. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Oct 15th is early by most standards, here in OR our early hunt starts the end of Oct. on the 15th the bulls should still be talking, I doubt you're going to call them but you can use it to locate them.

Post rut elk hunting is much harder than rut hunting, but that's why tags are easier to get.

Stay thirsty my friends

If possible I would be there a few days before the opener to do some glassing and try to pin point a bull or two to go after on Oct. 15th.

Thanks, it seems as though the elk I have been hunting around home started rutting a little later then normal, so hopefully they will be still be talking a little and maybe even with the cows too. It will definitely be a challenge but I am looking forward to it. We are going four days early so hopefully I can find a bull before the hunt starts. Anyone ever hunted this unit?

I grew up in wyoming. we usually hunted the wyoming range growing up so not the same area as 39. I have never heard a elk bugle after about the 5th of October. You need to find out if the deer season was open before the elk season, if it was find deep dark timber to hunt. If not they can be all over, they should be alone or in bachelor group in wyoming by the 15th.

Well sorry to those who drew a bull or any tag (including my dad), the wonderful g&f has put out this year an early cow tag. It opens the first and when people start shooting the elk kinda move out.

We've lived with that for years and it does make a difference. what it reallt does is move the elk away from the roads and in the brush a little deeper, but since most cow hunters aren't too ambitious they don't chase them very far.

Stay thirsty my friends

440 this is the first year the cow tag starts on the first in 39. Yes cow hunters don't go far off the road but I do personally know people taking horses in for the early tag. Weather is something to watch closely.

I suppose it matters a lot on how many tags there are, in your area I don't know.

When they started the early cow hunts here I expected more negative effects on the first bull hunt than I ended up seeing, but I won't deny it didn't help.

Stay thirsty my friends

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom