Elk unit help

marley

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Jan-12-16 AT 11:06AM (MST)[p]I have 7 PPs and have been dying to hunt elk in WY. I am a nonresident. Id be fine paying the special permit fee. I'd be fine hunting with a bow or rifle. I'd be fine hiring an outfitter for a wilderness hunt. In fact, I'd probably prefer it. I want to hunt the WY back country. Back pack or horseback. I would like a unit that I'd have a legit chance at seeing 330+ type Bulls.

What units would you consider if you were in my boat? What outfitter would you recommend? I've never hunted Wyoming before but would love to this year.

Not sure what it takes to draw the 16-2 tag with the special, but Q Creek Outfitters is probably as close as you'll get to a guaranteed 330+ type bull. And as far as guided hunts go, this one is reasonable for the opportunity and the amount of land you'll get to hunt. 16 is one of the top areas in the state in my opinion.

>Not sure what it takes to
>draw the 16-2 tag with
>the special, but Q Creek
>Outfitters is probably as close
>as you'll get to a
>guaranteed 330+ type bull.
>And as far as guided
>hunts go, this one is
>reasonable for the opportunity and
>the amount of land you'll
>get to hunt. 16
>is one of the top
>areas in the state in
>my opinion.

There were only 3 tags in each of the 2 PP draws. The Regular was only a 25% draw with 8PPs and the Special had 1 taken with 9PPs and the other 2 with 7PPs.

Area 16 is not a backcountry hunt. 4WD

These days, the true wilderness hunts between Dubois and Jackson Hole are producing trophy bulls (350+) every year. Those are general hunts you could have been taking advantage of for a while. Several good outfitters there, wouldn't take much research.

A horseback wilderness hunt would be an unforgettable experience.

graysage and jm77 both gave good advice. If you want to burn those points I would look to 61 and Trailswest. After that you can look to some of the gen units mentioned by jm77. I would also suggest Dustin Childs with Trophy Mnt. I've seen your results, you combine that with a top notch outfitter in a good area and you could be hunting great bulls every couple of years. Good luck.

I'd take 16 over any of the Jackson/Dubois areas. Especially since you'll probably be one of the few guided hunters during the 16-2 hunt on the Q. However, if yer set on wilderness, 61 is one of the best choices up there. Hunted 61 myself last decade one drainage over from Sundeen's camp. I was just talking with a friend the other day who guides out of the Thorofare. He was saying quality has definitely dropped off in recent years due to the wolves. Another outfitter to consider is Gene Carrico south of Rawlins. He's a bit more expensive, but also takes some smoker bulls.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-12-16 AT 04:16PM (MST)[p]16-1 is a far better hunt for bigger bulls than 16-2, especially if you're going guided. I know the guys on the Q and their biggest bulls come on the early hunt. The owner of the ranch has approximately 150,000 acres blocked off for his landowner tags and you cannot access that on the guided hunt. Their biggest bull this year went 347. By the 2nd season the really big bulls are on the 150,000 acres and they don't come off.

Good feedback in these posts. As a Non resident without much experience in Wyoming i am often asking questions. Answers like these are very helpful in giving a place to start looking without giving up someones favorite unit or a spot. A lot of the time, we dont always know the right way to ask the question.

Since i dont have 7-8 points, i wont be jumping in front of 30hart on these specific ones but i wanted to give a nod to the folks willing to give helpful answers to someone asking.

I have 7 for Elk don't know where to go . I burnt my 20 in Az. last year Wyo. is next, but dont have a clue. Maybee. Any ideas for 7 points?........BUll

I cashed in my max points last year at the good advice of people that post on here. 16-1. I hunted the Q Creek the second week of the season. Tad and his staff were great. We were into bulls from morning to night. They were still vocal and my guide called 2 different 6x6's into 30-40 yards and I passed on these as well as a ton of other bulls. I finally shot a nice 320 bull on the 4th day and he was smaller than the ones I'd been passing on. I've learned along time ago that it's not the inches that count, it's the people and the experience.
Great lodging, great food, great people,and lots of good bulls.

Take a look at last year's regs and you'll notice that there is a fraction of cow plus either sex tags during the 2nd season. A lot of elk get spooked on the Q but they wander back and forth. There also is some isolated country that doesn't get as much hunting pressure. It can snow during the later season and a lot of guys don't tend to wander far from their pickups!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom