Elk units -11 NR points

Wiszard

Long Time Member
Well, I was looking up to see how many points I have for all the species in NV and was a bit surprised that I had 11 elk points. I didn't know that I have some shots at some elk units now. I don't want to blow the points on a sub par unit and had always heard that the 60's and 70's (Jarbridge area) are the best. I'm not a big elk hunter and I'll need to do a lot of research before really trying to draw a tag. I have noticed that the early seasons for those areas are harder to draw. Are they bugling in the early season? Easier to locate, etc? If you were in my shoes, would you hold out for a northern NV elk tag? Thanks in advance!

Steve

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

WISZ........SAME HERE, 11 POINTS FOR ELK,SHEEP,DEER,AND LOPE. MAYBE SOME OF THESE FELLAS WILL GIVE US SOME ADVICE, I AM NOT GETTING YOUNGER AT 63, ANY ELK UNIT WOULD DO FOR ME. WE HAVE A BUNCH OF $$$$$ TIED UP IN THE POINT GAME, I APPLY BUT NADA SO FAR. ........THROW US A BONE......THANKS...........YD.

I think almost any unit in Nevada now can produce a good bull. Personally though, I think the 11's, 22's, and 231 constantly produce more big bulls than the 6's, 7's, and 8 up north. The terrain in northern NV is more forgiving though than that in Eastern NV, outside of Jarbridge. If you looking for better odds at a big bull I'd personally stick to the central eastern side of the state.

Gohunt has the NV odds because they obtained the complete drawing odds for all 5 choices for everyone. I have 11 points for elk also and have looked at the odds. I won't give them up, but I would say don't plan your fall around a elk hunt. The NV true odds are some if not the worst out there.

Rich

YD- What unit for deer are you holding out for? 11 points is a lot to be holding on to. Same with antelope. You must be a pretty picky fellow. :) Get out there and hunt. I'll tell you what, I'll burn mine then we'll share yours. How does that sound?

Steve

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

HE,HE......I HUNT EVERY YEAR IN SEVERAL STATES, I AM AFTER ELK AS OF THE LAST FEW YEARS MOSTLY. KINDA OF SAVING MY DEER & LOPE POINTS FOR WHEN I AM A BIT OLDER & THATS ALL I CAN DO. I HAVE POINTS IN 6 STATES FOR SHEEP, ELK, DEER, AND LOPE. SOME DRAWS CURRENTLY @ A %100......BUT I NEED TO CHASE BULLS NOW WHILE I CAN !!!!

I HAVE BEEN APPLYING TO THE EAST SIDE OF NEVADA FOR NEVADA ELK.

PICKED UP THE BOW 4 YEARS AGO, AND THATS OPENED UP MORE HUNTS FOR ME AS WELL...........YD.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-24-17 AT 11:56PM (MST)[p]I've helped on a bull hunt in 076-079, 081 and we had a very fun hunt. Biggest bull we saw was probably a 340's class bull, though I'm positive there are bigger. We killed a nice 6x6, but nowhere near the biggest bull my buddy could have shot.

I personally drew 231 early rifle bull with 13 points. Since I had a torn meniscus, I pretty much hunted from my truck. The first 69 elk I saw were bulls, some of which were outstanding. I had an opportunity to kill the biggest bull of my life, bigger than my 386" New Mexico bull, but I screwed it up. I ended up killing a 348" bull, which I'm very happy with under the circumstances.

I have a buddy who arrowhead a 403" bull in unit 221.

If it was me, I'd be focused on the units in eastern Nevada, in the general area around Ely, clear on down to Caliente.

THANKS CAELKNUTS.....I HAVE FOLLOWED SOME OF YOUR HUNTS, AND YOU HAVE HAVE SOME GREAT HUNTING ADVENTURES. SEEMS YOU DO QUALITY HUNTS IN SOME GREAT UNITS, THANKS FOR THE PICS & STORIES.

HEY ROB,......SEND ME A PM TOO !!! I AM NOT GETTING YOUNGER........THANKS.......YD.

I'm at 15 pts (NR)for NV elk and never plan my fall around a tag there. Between the way their draw process works (which I love) and the few tags give for each unit, the chances of drawing are very, very slim. I only apply for archery hunts in three units and there's about 7 to 8 tags given out total for the three units and there are approx 1,300 applicants for those tags. It's not uncommon for guys with 3, 4, 5 or 6 pts to draw a few of those tags every year while us higher point holders keep on waiting.

>I'm at 15 pts (NR)for NV
>elk and never plan my
>fall around a tag there.
> Between the way their
>draw process works (which I
>love) and the few tags
>give for each unit, the
>chances of drawing are very,
>very slim. I only
>apply for archery hunts in
>three units and there's about
>7 to 8 tags given
>out total for the three
>units and there are approx
>1,300 applicants for those tags.
> It's not uncommon for
>guys with 3, 4, 5
>or 6 pts to draw
>a few of those tags
>every year while us higher
>point holders keep on waiting.
>
+1

LAST EDITED ON Jan-25-17 AT 09:06PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-25-17 AT 08:53?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Jan-25-17 AT 05:47?PM (MST)

You got to love Nevada!Drew a Nr bear, cow elk ,and then they sent me a bull tag in September in 2015.Bull tag was NE and had 13-14 points.Ended up passing several in the 340" and shot this one the first evening.It was hard to pull the trigger the first day but what do you do?I think you can find a good/great bull in a lot of different areas with some luck.

I am pretty much done in Nevada as there is a long waiting period but in 14 years I drawn deer, antelope,bear,and elk but will continue to buy a license.
IMG_2354_zps7q862xwb.jpg

My dad with the mount.
IMG_3019_zpsxootvrb4.jpg

Nevada buckle bear-
DSC_0025-2_zpsuuu0uewr.jpg

Wow Mak....you can't pass a bull like that on the first day. I'm sure some on here could, but I'd be tickled with a bull that big. Congrats!

Steve

I have hunted all the units you mentioned above and seen good bulls in all of them but you will not beat the quality of 111-115 and 221-223 way more top end bulls in these units regardless of season.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom