Ever sell a gun to Cabelas?

DonVathome

Very Active Member
Has anyone ever sold a gun to Cabelas? I do not know if they deal in used firearms.

If you did was the price they gave you fair? I am looking to sell one rifle and buy another and I have a lot of Cabelas points so I could do it for no money out of pocket if they buy my other rifle.

Thanks!

I inquired about it a couple of months ago. I won a pistol at a banquet, that had come from the very same Cabela's store. It was still NIB, and I was hoping to trade it for something else. They will give you 70% of what they think it is worth. I figured I could do better in the private market on a NIB gun.

I went to Bass Pro shops and they tried to undercut me drastically, imagine Cabelas would be the same.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer? See Zeke for prime example....

They weren't fair in my case. I took in several guns to try to work a trade+cash for a Mark Bansner rifle. They told me they offered the 70 or 75% of value. The dude offered me 500 bucks for my Weatherby Lazermark in 300 WBY. I literally laughed at that. I walked out of there and sold the rifle without blinking for $1250. I realize they gotta make their buck but don't tell me that you were going to put a Lazermark on the shelf for around 700 bucks.

I would imagine they will do it just like a Pawn shop would. They are a business and have to make money if they were to buy it from ya. Sell it privately and you will come out with alot more.

Be prepared to turn over grab your ankles and bite the pillow if you try and sell them a gun.

who farted?

LAST EDITED ON Nov-14-12 AT 07:32PM (MST)[p]Selling a gun for what you think it is worth is always a challenge, but if you have the time to shop it around you will always make a better deal doing it on your own. At least that is my experience. Then you can use your points to get you a new gun and maybe even a scope to go with it.
Good luck

I had a part time job in the gun dept. at another major retailer and I bought a lot of guns. Our policy was if the gun we were buying was going towards a trade in we could offer up to 75% of the retail value of the gun depending on how "nice " of a gun it was. On a straight gun buy out we offered up to 60% of the guns value. Try selling it on your own, better way to go.

I'm not up on my Ohio gun laws but in Mt. we can sell them through the local paper. For private sales all I would keep track of was a bill of sale and the serial number on the gun. I keep track of the serial number just in case the gun is ever used in an illegal situation and can be traced back to you. Gunsamerica.com and a few other sites will provide an outlet for you to sell your gun but if you ship it you will need an FFL license to ship to. Check your local sporting goods store or google Ohio guns laws they should know the laws on local sales.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-15-12 AT 01:38AM (MST)[p]Gunbroker dot com. Works well.

You can get around the FFL nonsense easily too.

Thanks guys, I also have a handgun to sell (Ohio). How do I know if I am selling to a felon? What do I need to do? Ideas?

Don,
I am sure that Ohio has some kind of Concealed Carry permit. If so, only sell it to someone who has one. Then you know they have passed a background check.

You don't need to do anything. As long as you don't knowingly sell to a felon, you're fine. And you're not compelled to ask.

Post them up for sale here on the classifieds. I have bought several off here with out a hitch.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom