Fatal Hunting Accident in Carson NF

GoBigorGohome

Did anybody else hear about this fatal hunting accident? It was in the news yesterday on KOAT 7. Two hunters thought they had seen and elk and shot it rite away and it was a guy on a 4 wheeler that they shot. the guy was killed instantly. Im still looking for the news info from last nite. pretty sad to hear about.

I do not understand the mentally that shoots at whatever moves and look like it might be an animal. I remember what got me into bow hunting. I was in the jemez and 3 guys with gun barrels sticking out the windows and beer cans all through the car stopped on a forest road I was hunting and asked me, have i seen anything. I thought to myself, a couple more beers for them and I may start looking like a elk. I left immediately and have been bowhunting since. My friend from church had his brother shot and killed up in 53 I believe about 15 years ago. They should also do a inbreed test prior to giving license. It is beyond me why anyone would not make a positive id before pulling the trigger.

I remember elk hunting in 6A a number of years ago. We came across a couple of hunters from PA who got some "sound shots" off. We tried to explain that we don't do that hear. They looked rather puzzled at why you wouldn't want to shoot at where the sound was coming from.

BTW- I hope those two hunters are charged with murder.

i think that men were charge with volutary manslaughter.im trying to find it on the KOAT website but nothig yet.the news was at 6oclock yesterday. thier are some hunters that dont know how to be patience

Jeezus, what is the point of wearing orange if you got guys out there mistaking quads for elk.

At least if your wearing camo maybe they wont see you.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-13-11 AT 11:36AM (MST)[p]Anyone that is so careless and stupid enough to do this shouldn't be allowed to have a weapon much less be allowed to hunt. The reports I have read all say Gilbert was under the influence of a number of prescription drugs. Come on people if you are using prescription drugs that may or may-not impair your judgment please keep you're a** out of the woods. If you're in that much pain or discomfort stays home and rest, don't put everyone in the woods at risk.

As a hunter who knows of someone that was shot at well hunting I hope they through the book at this idiot (Gilbert S?nchez). A family friend of ours was hunting in Northern New Mexico when he had killed a deer and was field dressing the animal, when some idiot shot the deer he was field dressing and then started running towards the deer. When the idiot out of stater made it around the corner he was surprised to be looking down our friend?s rifle barrow pointed at him and informed him what he had done. The idiot through his rifle and took off running. The only reason he knows the information about the guy is because he reported the incident to the State Police and they run the Ser #s on the rifle and contacted the owner how claimed his rifle had been stolen a few weeks before the incident. I don't know whatever became of the charges or anything like that. Our friend has since moved and don't keep in touch as much anymore.

GUNS DON?T KILL PEOPLE, IDIOTS WITH GUNS KILL PEOPLE

LAST EDITED ON Oct-13-11 AT 02:00PM (MST)[p]Stupidly tragic! When I go to see my maker and leave my family behind, I wouldn't mind being in the mountains hunting, but I sure don't want to go that way. A lot of hunters need to realize the importance of making sure what you are shooting at as well as what's beyond your target. The consequences of not understanding that SIMPLE safety concept are just too great. I have seen and heard way too many stories of hunters being cavalier in their shooting safety. No one's life is worth the reckless chance someone may have to kill an elk or deer. My prayers go out to the deceased guy's family. I head out in a week for my elk hunt...praying for any retards like this guy to stay home and watch a football game or wash his car, etc.

Wow how can mistake a guy on a quad for a elk. Two family have been changed for ever because of ONE guy stupid mistake.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

67 years old & he does something this stupid?!?!?!!!
How did he live this long?

Was his prescription for piotie (sp?)?

That's very sad to say the least.

Ok Guys I don't want to spread rumers but the guy that got shot
is a close friend of a guy that works for me.This is what I know.
He was in the sage very early (limited light) the IDIOT shot him in the back ! There was no 4 wheeler involved.It's a very tragic thing and I hope it will open some peolpes eyes about
the importance of target ID. Drunks and pill popers don't belong in the woods.
If I get more info I'll post it up.But your thoughts and prayers should go to the family, its a very rough time for them.

CC

Incredibly sad.

I know a little bit about what the victim's family is going through and all I can say is it's going to be a long time before they get over it.

Lost my grandfather when someone took a skyline shot at a deer, and after traveling for several miles, the bullet landed in my grandfather's heart as he was sitting on a rock overlooking a canyon, killing him instantly. I doubt that whoever took that shot will ever know how much tragedy and pain they caused.

It's not enough to know what you're shooting at--you also better be able to see that your bullet is going to land in a harmless backstop.

Please think about this the next time you see that monster bull or buck topping over a ridge and you raise your rifle and all you see is sky behind him...

May God be with and comfort the Sanchez families.

Terrible tragedy. Apparently G. Sanchez was to impaired to make a safe and proper I.D. of his target. My deepest condolences to the C. Sanchez family.

Eldorado

Sad to say this totally can happen. I guided a guy who laughed when he told me the story of hunting deer and seeing movement and shooting at it only to hear another guy yelling from where he was shooting at. He shot a couple shots at him before he figured out he wasn't a deer. He tells the story as if it was a funny one! BTW, I stopped guiding after that.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom