Fear the Grizz?

troutsniffer

I didn't draw the tag that I thought I might this year, so I am thinking about joining the circus in the Island Park archery elk hunt. I have Sept. 10-17 off to hunt. My dad's family is from down the road in Ashton and we have a cabin I could stay in I.P. I have spent a lot time when I was growing up in Island Park, but I have never hunted there. I have never hunted in grizzly country. What precautions do those of you take that hunt in grizzly country? Should I be nervous? Bear spray or large pistol? Those of you that hunt I.P., how often do you have a grizzly encounter?

I have wondered about grizz down in lower 48. Magazines like Eastmans Hunting or Bowhunting Journal mention at times if you aren't scared or don't mind hunting in grizz country this or that unit has great trophy potential.

Which got me wondering, are grizz down in the lower 48 that much more dangerous or prevalent that the fact that they are in this or that area can determine if you will or will not hunt in certain for fear of running into them??

Up here in AK rarley do I have run ins with grizzly bears and when I do they are always high tailing it. Sure the is a slight chance for a charge, but if I was to not go hunting here based on where I might see a grizzly I simply would never go hunting up here. :D

I haven't had any trouble (knock on wood) of grizzly messing with meat at a kill site left overnight due to me not being able to get to it on the first load and what not. Personally I think people over think the whole grizz thing. If you want to pack a handgun along while bowhunting go for it, its not a bad idea for the extra piece of mind and I would likely do the same thing. However, don't let it determine where or where not you will hunt.

Good luck on your hunt. I hope to be in Idaho chasing deer this November and haven't researched where the grizz are or aren't, but maybe I should if these grizz are meaner than our AK ones :D

I too would doubt the Idaho grizzly is any meaner than the Alaska grizzly. I've hunted areas that have a lot of black bears in it and they have never bothered me. Maybe the hair raising stories I've heard of grizzly confrontations are extremely rare if you are paying attention to what you are doing. I'll be sleeping in my cabin, so I won't have to worry about them messing with my camp at night or while I'm hunting. Thanks for the reply.

Depends how close to the park you are...alot of grizzlies from yellowstone loose their fear of man. One the kids that grew up in my home town was hunting bears last year got attacked by a grizz only reason he is still here is his brother was packing a pistol. I havnt encountered one but i have encountered a pile of poo...and lets just say the size made me not want to meat its owner.

47e9fcb352ad748f.jpg

has anyone seen my kittie

You need to ask yourself this question, if you encountered a grizzly, whether a sow with cubs or one protecting recent kill. I have read lots of books and have been within 25 yards of a sow with 2 cubs. Ok back to my question, if you had a real pissed off grizzly running at full speed and they can cover alot of ground in no time at all, do you feel confident in your skills at hitting a grizzly charging you??? with that said if your deadset on packing a firearm then I would believe that a 12 or 10 guage shot gun with 00 buck would be your first choice. When ever I am in grizzly bear country I am packing two cannisters of bear spray. I have handled shotguns, rifles, pistols all my life and I know I couldn't keep my cool long enough to put a charging grizzly down. Good luck and don't let them deter you from hunting trophy areas.
Chuck

I don't think the area where you plan to hunt has a high concentration of griz. That being said, contact Idaho fish and game and talk to the local warden and biologist for further insight. Not sure about the packing of a firearm during archery season either, but definately take Counter Assault spray!
I've hunted in the griz area west of Cody, Wyo. with a rifle and you will find yourself on full alert.
Good luck.

Thanks for all your replies. I think I am going to give it a try this year. Now I just need to talk a brother or a buddy to go with me.

LAST EDITED ON May-22-10 AT 03:49PM (MST)[p]not positive they change the rules all the time they just barely made it legal to carry a handgun while bowhunting. It also was never stated that you couldnt either but this was in the mid 90s.I know i have hunted there i wouldnt want the added weight of a shotgun and i believe its not legal to have one...There are plenty of bears there. The closer you get to yellowstone the higher your chances of seeing one is gonna be especially if you have an animal down

47e9fcb352ad748f.jpg

I spend half my time from April through November in Island Park. There have been 4 grizzly attacks on humans in the last couple of that I know of. All of these incidents are documented Three were hunters. A bear hunter got nailed last spring near Lyle Springs, a hiker got attacked on Targhee Creek, and an elk hunter was bit by a bear he called in near Big Springs. The fourth encounter involved a bear on a hunter's elk kill on Bishop Mountain.

Trust me, these bears have no enemies, hence no fear of man. They migrate out of Yellowstone, and have never been hunted. Be very careful if you hunt here. You will be in the heart of grizzly country.

the bear hunter was the one i talked about know his family personally...he got chomped on wasnt out of work too long. Like i said only reason he wasnt a casulty is his brother and a pistol.

47e9fcb352ad748f.jpg

I read through the regs and I'm not real sure if it is or is not legal to carry a pistol. Anybody know for sure? If I do carry a pistol, how big is big enough? Is a .357 enough, or should I buy a .44 mag? If I down something, I'll be packing something for the packout!
What was the time frame on these 4 grizzly attacks? Was it 4 attacks in 1 year?

The attacks were over a couple of years. I carry a .44 and a can of spray. If I am retrieving meat I also bring along a shotgun.

As mentioned earlier, better practice a bunch with the handgun. Chances are a bear charge is going to take about 2 seconds.

Call fish and game get the name of who you talked to if possible in writing....they change the laws all the time...but as far as i know last year they for sure passed a law you can carry when bowhunting a pistol...I got a .45 even that is gonna possibly kill a grizzly if placed perfectly..mostly its either gonna scare then or your gonna have a pissed off beast on your hands.

47e9fcb352ad748f.jpg

>I read through the regs and
>I'm not real sure if
>it is or is not
>legal to carry a pistol.
> Anybody know for sure?
> If I do carry
>a pistol, how big is
>big enough? Is a
>.357 enough, or should I
>buy a .44 mag?
>If I down something, I'll
>be packing something for the
>packout!
>What was the time frame on
>these 4 grizzly attacks?
>Was it 4 attacks in
>1 year?

I wouldn't buy a .44 just special for this one time going hunting archery to see a grizz. If you like your .357 and proficient with it will be much better than a .44 you aren't proficient with. Plus by and large .357s are lighter and smaller than .44s so the chances are better that you'll have it on ya when ya need it. The peace of mind it'll give ya while hunting is worth it IMO.

I can promise you it is fully legal to carry a pistol with you in Idaho while you are bowhunting. I've hunted the area for the last couple years and I only pack bear spray, no pistol. You have a much greater chance of hitting something with the spray than a pistol in my opinion.

As for last springs incident, you buddy missed the bear that was chomping his brother. It was a collared sow and she did just fine the rest of the year.

Actually.....its legal to carry a pistol in EVERY state while bowhunting. We have to right to keep and bear arms.....that can not enforce this in court. 2nd amendment is our protection.....
When in doubt, pack iron....but spray does work well too.

I slept in Grizz country in Canada while filming a stone sheep hunt, and all i had to pack was a can of spray....I felt VERY vulnerable. I slept next to grizz tracks with just a bivy sack for 11 days. Feel better with a rifle/pistol tho.....just hope wind is not spraying in your face when you use the spray!;-)

I know he didnt hit the bear..but it was enough to keep him from doing further damage. I have been sprayed more then once..i am not gonna trust my life on pepper spray...kinda the tigers hate cinnamin they like pepper kinda thing....i think you might as well add salt with your pepper and at least give the bear a tasty treat..

47e9fcb352ad748f.jpg

Don't let fear guide your hunt, but let "respect of dangerous animals" dictate your decisions. With that said, I always carry when I'm archery hunting here in Idaho. But I dont walk around afraid that I might see bear, lion, wolf etc. And yes, its legal. I'm torn on using spray, but if you add it to your sidearm it couldn't hurt.

www.elk101.com

+1 Bugler. Respect the grizz, the mtns, and mother nature. Be prepared and be aware of your surroundings. Enjoy your hunt!!! You have to worry about a broken leg in the back county more then an encounter with a grizz.

Be prepared and alert and if you see a grizz count yourself lucky!!! Chances of it being an encounter are slim!!!mainly store your food wisely and once your game is down is when the chances are likely to grow. However, at that time your not hunting anymore and can pay more attention to your surroundings and think about what you need to do to avoid any conflicts!!!

Enjoy your hunt!!!

This pic was taken off my bait in Island Park yesterday. The bear is standing next to a 55 gallon drum. You decide if you need to fear it.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-06-10 AT 06:05PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-06-10 AT 06:04?PM (MST)

Yesterday morning, Island Park, Idaho. Bear is standing next to a 55 gallon drum.

8078pict0030.jpg

Damn! that is a big ol'bear.. wouldn't have said Grizz for sure until I saw the "look at the claws". no doubt there.

You ever have one come into your bait when you are in the stand?

That would make for a nice hike out after dark I suppose.

"That would make for a nice hike out after dark I suppose."

Hike out my azz!!! I'm staying in the tree til daylight and then setting a new land speed record to the truck!!!
:)

I would love to bump into that bear this Fall from about 500 yards away looking at it through a spotting scope! He makes that barrel look like a 5 gallon bucket.

FlyFool, I had a sow and cub black bear come in the same night the grizz hit the bait. They showed up about an hour after dark, and he came in at daylight the next morning.

Cross another thing off the list. No hunting that place and walking out after dark. Man he's a big bear.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

add one more encounter to the list...some poor fool just got eated by a grizz near the east entrance of yellowstone.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom