Feral pig in Unit 13B

DonMartin

Very Active Member
Thought I would share this photo with all you folks that have heard about the feral pigs in Unit 13B.

During the August archery hunt I glassed up two herds of about 6 animals each, plus we saw a huge black boar wandering all over the place.

On the late rifle hunt we found a group of 9 pigs and I was fortunate enough to get a photo of them at a water.

96112012_unit_13b_feral_pigs.jpg

Most are 50-75 lbs, but got photos of some big sows and even an old boar.

Last year we found an old boar on a flat but my hunter wouldn't shoot 'em.

Maybe going up in January to take some folks up to "thin" them out just a tad.

These pigs seem to water only at night, and they bed down early, but I think we can "Bring home the bacon" if we do it right!

Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

its called having a huge spotlight and hunt at night

set out some corn piles near the water and wait- they make a lot of noise eating - lol

While the method you refer to is probably one way to do it, we are going to do the old tried and true, Spot and Stalk, when we go up.

I have some great photos of the pigs feeding right at sundown.

I think that is the experience we are seeking.

We want to hunt them, not just shoot them!

Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

Hey don we were up on the 13b hunt also and found 3 diff water sources with at least 20 - 30 pigs using them a piece. We are going up in late january and early feb to have a good ole fashion gun fight with the whole herd. we are hoping for some long shots and some close ones. Nice pics but i have a feeling there wont be to many left here before soon cause all hell is about to break lose around that water and a few others. Lol, good luck to all.

125643:30.jpg

Here is a huge herd from 13b . Hate to break it to you guys, but 13a now has these Feral pigs also . recently got pics of a couple frequenting Carol's Tank this year . Maybe some good News though .... last year while shed hunting on 13b , we came across a fresh Feral pig cougar kill by tweeds point . This may help reduce the # of deer cougar kills !!!

Don't know what they taste like in you neck of the woods. Here in Cali they taste great. If I was you I would fill the freezer. Are they a non game animal in AZ, or do you need a tag?

Bill

My buddy and I have been hunting them hogs with our dogs now for a little over a year down on the strip. We have caught alot and they are good to eat if you can get one under 250lbs. Other than that there are usually alot of people after them things.

Sad to see. Once they get the short end of the wedge in so to speak they take over. I live in South East Texas and it is like a plague here. To the point we have killed them in the rice fields while sitting in a duck blind. I absolutely hate them.

Now is the time to TRY and get rid of them, or you will a texas nightmare up there.
Hunt them until there isn't any more of them.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I kicked a big boar out of the brush on Mud mnt in 2011 while I was helping my friend on his 13B hunt, but I didn't have a gun so I could only stare. My friend also saw a herd with 8-10 pigs in the same area but didn't shoot. When I finally get drawn they better watch out!

You will never get rid of them. You may thin them out some years but they will bounce right back. They are like coyotes, only a lot worse! Keep hammering them!

LAST EDITED ON Dec-12-12 AT 03:54PM (MST)[p]Back in the 1980s, there was a high-fenced "game ranch" right off I15 in Mesquite. It was owned by the then mayor of Mesquite.

I went up there over a weekend to shoot a few pheasants and chukars, which I did behind excellent male and female German shorthairs.

That afternoon Jimmy, the owner, asked if I wanted to shoot a hog. I used my M19 .357 S&W, which is the only gun other than my shotgun that I had with me.

1999feralhog.jpg

The next day, I wound up trading that handgun to the ranch manager for one of his 8-week-old German shorthair pups when I found out the pups were bred by the two I had hunted with the previous day. I named her Ginger, and she was my companion and bird hunting partner for the next 10 years or so. I finally had to put her down when she developed pancreatic cancer.

Anyway, to the gist...quite a few of the hogs on that place had escaped by digging under the fence over a couple years and were wandering in the Virgin River country. I'd bet the farm many now being seen on the Strip are their descendants.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

Anybody have some good ideas for baiting in these pigs? like what type of feed? I was thinkin of just getting some bags of feed from the local feed store? but it would probably be a good idea to have something at the feed pile that they could smell from long ways away? Maybe some syrup on the ground kinda like bear baiting? that way they walk through it and track it all over and the rest of the pigs follow that pig to the pile

My thoughts are I live pretty close to the Virgin River and this time of year it gets pretty boring with no hunts going on. So if we could find the pigs near the river (tracks) then start baiting them in and start supplementing our addiction to hunting by killing some pigs!

Anybody with some insight on pigs in the Virgin River? I hear some random stories of people chasing them with dogs but I've never actually talked to anyone that has seen a pig out there. But I wouldnt doubt they are there those salt cedars are a tangled mess that could hide an army of pigs out there!

hezzy,
Toss a bag of corn out, the pigs will find it. Put a camera up on the corn, and see what time they are coming in. Might have to corn for a couple weeks to get them to hit it in the daylight hours.

We have tons of hogs here and they come to our corn. we are over run with them here

From what I have heard. Again what I have heard is that people have tried to bait them and they are not successful. Why? I don't know but I have talked with people that have done it on the strip and I have yet to hear a true and tried way of baiting them. I understand that baiting is not hard, but let me tell you if I may that these hogs at least on the Strip are smart, too smart if you ask me. I am not trying to discourage you from baiting or trying to do it your way. If you find a way thats great!!! I have learned with these hogs that IT IS NOT LIKE THE TV SHOWS!!! These hogs give us a run for our money. We feel that we are bear huntin because of how far they run on us. Its ridiculous how far they have run on us. I know others have had success spot and stalking them, and we usually do well catching them with our dogs but lately we have been getting our ass handed to us. We have only caught two so far.
Anyways sorry to get off topic. I wish you luck man. Hope you get a few pigs. They do eat good if you can get one under 250lb. Outside of that they stink too much. LOL!!!

Well We will give it a go this winter. If we come across tracks and set up our "stand" I'll share my pics on MM. Thanks

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom