Field Judging

gdluck413

If you were drawn back on a Bull, what is the first thing you look at to judge his size? I was told to look at the thirds and fifths then how much belly his G1's and G2's have to them. What do you look for?

-Brian

Thirds and fifths are a good starting point. But remember all it takes is 1 inch added to each point to go from a 340 bull to a 350 bull. It depends what your looking for I guess. Just look at as many racks you can get your hands on like your local taxidermist and try to get a good idea what you want. Main beam length is important as well.

I agree, a Trophy is in the eyes of the hunter. I would shot a 330 Bull if it has beautiful dropping Whale Tails over a 350 Bull with straight beams I think.

I like em dark and heavy...... like my women.

Actually my wife is light and thin, but, I do like my bulls dark and heavy.

I like DARK N HEAVY also....but the thirds usually tell the story most elk in NM have weak 3ds if you see one with long 3ds he's probably a good one... also very long brow tines. I think to many guys get excited on long whale tails and the rest of the rack is just average. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder....

CC

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom