Finding the second of a set

kestump

When you guys find one side of a set, particularly elk, how do you typically proceed to find the other side? Do you start searching in an ever increasing circle? If so, how far from the first antler to you get before you give up and continue on? Or do you make no adjustments and just continue on with your original pattern? I realize they could be feet apart or miles apart, just curious about some of your techniques. Thanks!

I dont spend a whole lot of time,i canvas the immediate area and then move on,usually if they arnt within 100 yards they arnt nearby.

I first look in the immediate area. If that doesn't work I think about what the animal was doing because the match is either where he was or where he is going. I search the most likey places first and the least likely last. If that doesn't work and if the antler is a big one I may rework the area again.
Keep your mouth shut until you find it.

Antlerradar

I circle out a few hundred yards then if that don't work I break it down and do a grid. But I don't waste much time if its small. I just move on.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-20-11 AT 11:05PM (MST)[p]Finding the other side for me is hard. I looked and looked for the other side of this big guy and never found it. My guess is that someone picked it up or its miles amd miles away. Im not too good with guessing the score but I think this shed came off a buck pushing 170in. What do you think?
7197pics_013.jpg

6661pics_018.jpg

Yep id say at least 170ish.I have found the second half to sets sometimes 2 years later and they are usually in REALLY hard to spot locations,just matched up a big elk set that was hiding for two years,it was laying at the bottom of a slash pile along with another shed.

I consider myself an amateur at the game, but I'm learnin'. I try to size up the terrain, and guess path the critter was taking if possible. This year, I found an elk shed of a decent bull in a drainage, spent most of the day up and down the drainage searching to no avail. Two days later, I returned to the spot of the find, decided that maybe the elk climbed out of the drainage at that exact location... hiked up the hillside, paused on the ridgetop, looked into a sagebrush at my feet and found the match! A lot of my finds are just luck like this...but I do try and size up the terrain, and where the animal came from and where he was heading, if possible.

There was one great buck I found several sets form. Two of the sets took me 13 and 14 years to match up. Some of the best sets of antlers I ever found.

Antlerradar

That is one great shed! I would say around 170+. Looks like it may be this years shed. They turn white fast.

"Stalking the wind is an important key in hunting"

LAST EDITED ON Jun-28-11 AT 06:05PM (MST)[p]Windstalker
yes it is this years shed. I found it in the middle of May. It was in an open field off a very highly used trail. I was suprised no one had seen it. Your right they do turn white very fast. That is one of the sheds I found while turkey hunting in Colorado this year. I will start a new thread and post pics of them soon.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom