First coues tag--unit 35A late

R

ram100

My partner put us in for 35 A late and we lucked out and got the tag. Neither of us have ever even seen a coues whitetail but we are excited all the same. Does anyone have any advice or thoughts on this hunt? Is it a good opportunity to take a matture buck? I would greatly appreciate any help or information from more expereinced coues hunters than myself. I am also interested in where to get maps for the unit? and where to start this adventure. It will be a nice break from the Wyoming winter!

The First thing you should do is find a map. There is a store down here called Wide World of Maps. You might want to search for them on the net. I bet you could order one from there. Your gunna need good bino's with a tripod. A stool to sit on while glassing is nice too. These deer are very sneaky compared to mule deer and elk. They are harder to spot and hunt but it is loads of fun! Learn to shoot your gun at long distances and know how much the bullet will drop at 100 yard intravels. I have shot 2 of these deer now and they both were from around 300 yards. These deer are very small and hard to hit. If you have any questions just ask and good luck. Oh yeah glass your eyes off!

This is off the Arizona Fish and Game site and should help:

White-tailed Deer
Overview: Whitetail hunting throughout the unit is good. Habitat conditions resulting from near average rainfall amounts during 2001 allowed fawn survival to improve over past years. Therefore, the number of 1-2 year old bucks entering the population should be quite high, resulting in good harvest success. Unfortunately, the winter, spring, and summer of 2002 has resulted in below average precipitation causing poor habitat conditions. It is predicted that 2002-2003 fawn recruitment will be well below average. Even though the overall whitetail population has declined, due to drought conditions, over the past 6-7 years, bucks are still available in good numbers throughout the Huachuca Mts., Canelo Hills and Mustang Mts. Trophy quality bucks are still available, but hunters must be persistent and patient if they expect to harvest one of these elusive animals.

Area: Take I-10 to Hwy 90, south to Sierra Vista allowing access to the east side of the Huachucas. I-10 to Hwy 83 to Sonoita, east on Hwy 82 to Mustang Mts. or south on Hwy 83 to Canelo Hills and west side of Huachuca Mts.

Access can be obtained by purchasing USFS maps. Additionally, state land and topographical maps are helpful.

As with all hunting, scouting is important to a successful hunt. With whitetail hunting, scouting is a prerequisite if one wants to put the percentages in his favor. If a mature buck is your goal, any hunt can produce a trophy but knowing the area and the habits of your buck are paramount to success.

The range of the mule deer overlaps that of the whitetail. Every year some hunter accidentally harvests the wrong species. Therefore, it is important to accurately identify the buck to species, prior to shooting. The only reliable means of identification is the tail. The mule deer tail is narrow and black tipped at the end. The whitetail is broad, long and gray/brown in coloration. When alarmed, whitetail will sometimes lay their tail on their back, or flag, showing a white underside and a white rump. It is important to note that not all whitetail will flag. Therefore, if not absolutely sure of which species you are looking at, do not shoot. Also, remember that one characteristic alone is not a totally reliable means of identifying a whitetail from a mule deer. For further information, along with illustrations identifying differences between whitetail and mule deer, please review the 2002-2003 Arizona Hunting Regulations.

Hunting the Coues whitetail entails owning a quality pair of optics and knowing how to use them. Whitetail, inhabit all habitat types found throughout the units, particularly the oak-juniper woodlands. They do not venture long in open areas. Rather, they remain secluded in the woodlands. Therefore, it is imperative for the successful hunter to locate an adequate vantage point and glass diligently for long periods of time. The adage of glassing more than you walk is paramount in successfully locating whitetail. Look for parts of the deer rather than the entire animal while glassing. It is also helpful to arrive at your vantage point well before first light and remain in the field until dark. Whitetail, are active at first light and at dusk but also can be found feeding and moving to shaded bed sights during the middle of the day.

During the early archery season glass from high vantage points at first light looking for feeding bucks. Observe, until the buck beds and air currents stabilize, then attempt a stalk. Unlike their eastern cousins, Coues whitetail do not pattern well, but water holes and deer trails can be productive, particularly during dry periods.

The October general firearm hunt usually finds the whitetail in the lower elevations and foothills. Active periods are early, middle and late in the day, as temperatures are still fairly warm.

The November hunt will usually find the bucks moving out of the bottoms and working up the mountains, preparing for the rut. Weather conditions vary from warm in the day to cold at nights.

The December hunt finds weather conditions more to the deer's liking, and as the rut nears, they become more active for longer periods of time. The younger bucks are the first to accompany does. The mature bucks will be in the vicinity, but do not venture far from thick cover. Harvesting a mature buck takes luck, skill and determination.

The January archery hunt is the ideal time to locate mature bucks chasing does, since the peak of the rut begins sometime during the middle of the month. Since the bucks are constantly on the move, chasing or looking for does, it is often times difficult to locate the buck during the final stalk. During this time, grunt calls and rattling can prove effective.

NOTES: The Coronado National Memorial administered by the National Park Service is located at the Southeast end of the Huachuca Mountains. It is closed to hunting and the taking of any wildlife species. Additionally, all weapons, including archery equipment, must be cased, unloaded and incapable of being readily discharged while traveling through the memorial. For further information phone (520) 458-9333 or 366-5515.

The possession or use of motorized vehicles off forest system roads and trails is prohibited. This law is also pertinent to all public lands, as well as, private lands if permission from the landowner has not first been obtained. Off road travel in washes is not allowed unless the wash is part of an existing road. For further information concerning this or any other laws administered by the USFS contact the Coronado National Forest, Sierra Vista Ranger District at 5990 S. Highway 92, Hereford, AZ 85615. Phone (520) 378-0311.

Prior to accessing or hunting lands owned by the Babocomari Ranch, contact the ranch manager at (520) 455-5507.

The National Audubon Research Ranch is located within the unit. Much of this is private and closed to hunting. For further information call (520) 455-5522.

Some areas within the San Pedro riparian area are closed to the use of firearms. For information relating to BLM lands along the San Pedro River contact the BLM Sierra Vista office: San Pedro RNCA, 1763 Paseo San Luis, Sierra Vista, AZ 85636. Phone (520) 458-3559.

Obviously Couesfanatic knows what he is talking about. I had my first w/t hunt last year, and was planning on going again this year, but the gov't won't let me. I was ready to mortgage my kids college education in order to get some great gla$$, but it looks as if that is unnecessary now. The advice I would give is glass, then glass some more, then glass some more... and look at the octillo. Good Luck.

I've hunted & guided in 35a for years.
My partner lives in the heart of those Mts.& is one of the best Coues Hunters around.
Give me a call, I can help.
Dave 602-493-8740.

I WOULD GET A MAP OF HUACHUCA PEAK FROM WIDE WORLD OF MAPS, I ORDERED MINE ONLINE, I HUNTED THERE LAST YEAR FOR THE FIRST TIME IN OCT., ANY INFO YOU CAN GET WILL BE HELPFUL, ALSO THERE ARE MULE DEER IN THE AREA SO BE CAREFUL, WE SEEN QUITE A FEW OF THEM ALSO, GLASSING IS KEY, GOOD LUCK

KEITH

Thanks you guys for all the info. I'll definitely get a map and I have some good glass as a result of several sheep hunts. I will contact some people as well. No one has mentioned what kind of buck I should hope for. Is the area a good area ? One question I have is how we should stay. Is a camp the only way to go or are their amenities close by to where a person could hunt out of a motel? I could back pack in if necessary? Or use a wall tent? What type of things do you have to worry about in the desert? snakes scorpions, etc? ANy advice of any kind will be appreciated.

Thanks

Ramm100,

Hello there!

There are some good bucks in the unit. You will see more does than anything else. The bucks are around though. Just be patient, persistent, and look for anything that looks like deer, not the entire animal because they are hard too see.

Camping is a good idea although there are plenty of dirt roads around that will allow you to rent an RV if you like. I wouldn't stay in a motel or the like since it's tough to get at it early enough, especially if it starts to rain.

Good luck and maybe I'll see you in the mountains!

I have the early hunt and heck, I'll be happy to give you on the spot details after my trip back as far as what to expect of any leads. E-mail if you wish.

Regards,

Chef

I have been scouting up there in 35a since we found out about the drawing results cause w eput in there 1st choice every year. During the scouting we have seen lots of deer in the middle of the day right out in the open grazing in the open plains on the edges of canyons ust make sure they arent muleys cause we have seen more mule deer there than were we go muley hunting up north.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom