First good goat pics

TheFever

I was up Big Cottonwood scouting for Muleys and came across this goat knocking rocks off a ledge to make room for his siesta. I have watched some goat hunts here and there, but I'm no pro on their size. How would he score as far as scoring is concerned?

Had an awesome time taking pics and watching him from 100 yards. Made the hike all worth it even more!

7678mountain_goat.jpg

1815mountain_goat_profile.jpg

7465mountain_goat_zoom_out.jpg

>>>---->
For the love of the game

That is a real good goat.....he would score very well. Hard to tell but it looks like he has both length and some mass.

Good Billy IMO. The 2nd photo with his head in profile shows a long snout that is starting to hump in the middle, sign of a mature Goat. Rough guess 9-1/2 by 5-6/8.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-06-12 AT 09:01AM (MST)[p]super nice goat. shooter for sure. he looks way over 8 inches. my guess is 9 and then some. i tried zooming in the picture to count his rings and the picture got really pixeled up. i counted 5 rings plus his back ends puts him around 6 yrs of age as a my guess.

Goats are some of the toughest critters to field judge but that one looks pretty darn good to me.
My guess is right at 9"... maybe a little more.
The horns always look the biggest when the hair is short so this time of year they show all their horn. It's easy to overestimate the length.
Zeke

Here's a billy that I shot in 2009. It measured 8 4/8" long as I recall.
I think your goat pics shows a bigger goat than mine. Like I said, they're difficult to field judge, especially when the billies are mostly solitary.

Zeke

2087mountain_goat_ut_2009008.jpg

Exceptional billy!

Wow....great mass and length. 9.5"+/-
He's not an old goat, probably 4.5 maybe 5.5, but very blessed with great headgear.

Hey TheFever,
I just posted to joethebowhunter to try to catch up with you. His dad has a tag in that unit. That would make anyone a nice trophy.
When I compare him to mine, I think broomd is right on the money. He's probably nearly an inch longer and has excellent mass.
Zeke

PS: Thanks for sharing your cool pics Mr TheFever

hey my dad has a goat tag up there and i was wondering if you might have the where abouts of this awesome goat. if you would not mind I know hunting areas are hard to tell people but were goat hunting, my deer tag is down south. thanks

Yeah, I'll email you. But for your PMs you can click on "forums" on top and then if you're logged in already you'll see a link above all the forums for your "inbox" where you can view your PMs.

>>>---->
For the love of the game

I've got that tag also. I wouldn't expect that goat to be there 2 months from now but it would be nice to know which basins are holdng animals. If you dont mind please send me some info also.

Thank you

[email protected]

Never recieved it or can't open it for some reason. Maybe if you have time you can try my email address. Thank you

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom