Fish while Hunting?

sageadvice

Long Time Member
I asked this question a few years ago in a different Forum but i liked hearing some different answers so it's worth asking here. Have any of you guys enjoyed having a pole or two in the water while you were hunting.

The first one that comes to mind for me was over on Eagle Lake, Ca. We used to shore fish for Eagle lakers and would have a few Dekes out in a little bay along side the point we fished out in the lake off of. We'd sit still in our chairs with our shotguns in our laps and our eyes constantly moving from up and down the lake, and our rods. Lots of fun, some decent days shooting, and back then, the average sized Eagle lake trout was near 4 pounds!!

There has been lots of these combo hunts since those days but last year i found a little lake in the high country north of Chester that i really enjoyed. Deer season, i set up my pop-up camper right on the edge of this out of the way "pond" and had my pole out while i glassed for bucks coming to water along the shore. I caught plenty of good sized trout and watched a bunch of does and fawns eating the plants growing in the lake but didn't happen to get a buck in that spot. Still, it was a great little trip and i'm really looking forward to doing it again in a couple weeks when the buck season in this area opens.

How about you guys? One trip covering more than one base at the same time??

Joey

Yep..Especially in the high country...Seems there is a lake every 1/4 mile in the high Sierra's... Panther Martins and Rooster tails, like fishin' in a barrel...

basin.jpg

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Yep! One that comes to mind (probably because of your antelope hunt around Adin) is a place out of Canby just off 139. Duncan Reservoir. Back in the old days Dad and I camped there. We had deer tags, duck stamps, and fishing licenses. You could do all three at Duncan Reservoir. The trout were huge. We would deer hunt early and late and fish during the day. Pass shoot geese comming into the reservoir.

That's where we had porcupine liver and eggs for breakfast one morning.

RIP, pops!

Eel

I always pack a pole when I'm out, even if it's just the little collapsable. Nothing like casting and blasting.

Yes, I drew X-3B a few years back and I was so beat one Sat on a afternoon that I went back to camp to eat some hot food and get a rest. I was in Blue Lake Campgroud close to the little lake and went down to put a pole in. Caught a bunch of probably stockies and maybe a holdover. Much fun, and good eats.

We're planning on taking my drift boat out on the San Juan River for geese and fly fishing in a few weeks. The fly rods will be used mid-day on the Rio Grande in northern NM during our elk hunt. Nothing like cast and blast!

Thanks for the responses guys, all great stuff!!

These days, money is tight so i don't get to make a lot of trips. Deer season, i make exception and pretty much take off to make several 3-4 day trips. When i do, my rig has in it the nessesary implements to cover any eventuality or possibility's in the outdoor sports world that may present themselves.

In other words, i carry a lot of sh#t around :)

Good luck and may your dream hunts and/or trips come true!!

Joey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom