Fix HB 2072!

A

azhunter31

This bill has been a disaster with AZ sportsmen. However, there are some real issues with hunting in AZ that need to be addressed or will need to be addressed to protect the quality of hunting for future generations.

Some of the changes I think they need make are to let hunters/sportsmen have more of a say of what actually goes into the bill, provide transparency into where funds will go and what prime tags we would be giving up (i.e. limit the prime tags that we spend so many years waiting for!), among MANY other things.

What do you think could be changed in the bill to make it work?

1. eliminate the privatization of a public resource concept.
2. include azgfd and the sportsmen in drafting/planning
3. don't attempt to keep 70% of the tag revenue
4. don't make the language read so only 1 group can receive tags
5. have some plan in place to efficiently spend the money on the 4 main priorities.
6. have a qualified lobbying company represent you and not run on their own agenda..........these are just a few ideas.........?

Thanks, Allen Taylor......

Why not just add that 90% of proceeds go to AZFG, with OPEN books subject to audit by the commission?
It seems as though the problem in UT is there is no accountability and no idea where the money goes. It can't be about the tag #s as the actual effect those tags have on the draw is miniscule.

Ed

If you ain't the lead dog,
the view never changes

heres the mentality of those who support it

you are selfish to not want to share these tags wit h those who can afford them!

Dear Representative,

I support HB 2072 and would ask that you do as well. It is good to raise more money for Arizona's wildlife and provide fundraising opportunities that will benefit everyone in Arizona. Many are concerned that the bill will take their tags and thus decrease their odds of drawing a permit, but this is a sacrifice that we must make to provide us with opportunities for years and generations to come. Those who oppose this bill, in my opinion, are selfish and concerned with only their own personal hunting opportunities, and not what is best for the economy and future hunters.

As a guide in Arizona, we need hunters to have permits. To boost the hunting industry and economy, we need "high-profile" clients that can purchase auction and conservation tags in order for us to be able to be employed in the hunting field. This is critical.

Thank you for your time,

--

Austin A Atkinson
Registered Hunting Guide
AAA Outdoors Hunting
Peoria, Arizona
www.AAAOutdoors.com
623-225-8955 phone

LAST EDITED ON Mar-12-12 AT 07:31PM (MST)[p]
From the AAAOutdoors.com website,

"I am integrated with many of the top outfitters and professional hunters across the globe and provide first-hand experience and quality recommendations to many future hunting clients."

From his email to a Representative,

"As a guide in Arizona, we need hunters to have permits. To boost the hunting industry and economy, we need "high-profile" clients that can purchase auction and conservation tags in order for us to be able to be employed in the hunting field. This is critical."

Now tell me who he is looking out for and who is "selfish"?

Bruce

I agree with most of what Bura said. I do believe we need to include all groups in the planning along with G&F. However, I feel as if G&F has sat on their hands for too long and many of the problems we face today are due to them not being proactive with regard to big game management. This HB2072 may have been avoided had G&F taken care of business to begin with. When we lost trapping back in 94 didn't they think their would be repercussions? Look at their very own 3Bar wildlife study and the affects of predation or lack there of had on wildlife. They did a study that had profound results yet they didn't follow the model any place else. Why not?

Too much of G&F's time, money and attention are on non-game animals in my opinion. Big Game hunting is the "milk cow" yet it takes a back seat to ferets, chubs, condor's and need I say, wolves. It's almost like they have a department within a department that does not support hunting. They have created a lot of jobs and expense in areas that don't produce any income for the department. Now they are forced to support these programs on the backs of hunters and fishermen. Don't get me wrong, I support most things wild however, I think it is important not to lose sight of what pays the bills.

I also don't thing we need another Expo. We have two already and one more would just make one or both of the others fail. this is also where Utard's get screwed. The SFW Expo in Utah is how they take all the money create fancy titles and jobs for themselves with big salaries or pass the jobs to friends or grease the palms that help them. Tranparency should be first and foremost when dealing with the funds.

Keep and share all the funds with the stake holders. Have organizations apply for the available funds. Much like a grant.

I kind of like the habitat stamp idea too. Anyone who buys a hunting a fishing license needs to buy a $25 habitat stamp.

Who knows, maybe something good will come out of HB2072?

There is NO need for a 3rd party to take possession of state tags. NO need for a 3rd party to handle the proceeds. NO need.

You want see a primo tag auctioned or raffled? Pass that law and have the state keep 100% of the proceeds. I am positive that the auction tags will draw attendees to one of the existing AZ expos that exists. Yes, auction those tags in AZ rather than ship them out of state. As for any raffle tags, you do not have to be in person to participate.

Of course, having the proceeds go 100% to F&G does not create a welfare system for the SFWs of the world so they will not be pleased. Those of us that are not trying to steal tags will not have an issue.

How many tags should the state set aside? I support 1 tag per species for auction and 1 for raffle. Each tag is good for 365 days.

350 tags is stupid. What do you need that many tags for...oh, forgot, you need the welfare for SFW. Of course. This really is not about the herds or the antis. HB2072 is welfare. HB2072 needs to die.

this argument that the wildlife and the tags belong to the public is a mute point. i think most people agree to one extreme or another.

the fact that people want azgfd to get 100% of the proceeds of a possible large sum of monies for wildlife conservation is despicable. if there is any organization that has failed over the last 15 years in the wildlife conservation effort it is the AZGFD. why give the money back to them? it makes no sense. the only thing attractive about the bill, IMO, is the fact that there is an open avenue for conservation organizations to receive more money to fund projects that will enhance the outlook on the future of hunting in az.

which organization is in charge of such money is not so important to me. it should be the one who can most effectively "manage" such funds, ie. the one that gives the sportsmen throughout the state the "best bang for their buck." IE. how many functional drinkers can XYZ conservation organization build and maintain with xxx amount of money? what group has the most transparency with their funds and can prove to better manage the "publics" money? these are the questions that need to be asked. not whether or not the AZGFD can spend 3 million dollars better or more efficiently than a wildlife conservation group (AES, MDS, ADA, SFW, etc.) we should all know the answer to that question.

huntazido summed it up pretty well. the AZGFD will come in last to all other organizations when it comes to efficiency and protecting and preserving big game hunting in the state of arizona. IMO, the facts are that we need more money put towards wildlife conservation efforts in arizona so we can more predictably preserve out hunting heritage for generations to come. if the money was "well spent" from these tags, there would be a net return on investment in favor of the public by growing big game herds throughout the state that would more efficiently maximize the states carrying capacity of big game = more tags in the long term.

I can't believe so many still are unaware of the systems that are already in place.

We do not need to auction any tags to raise funds and we do not need to involve any third party tag pimps.

We have in place the Habitat Partnership Committee. This body takes 100% of the revenues from the few tags that are currently being sold and allocates the funds to project requests from the thirteen local HPC's. The G&F oversees the project to insure the funds are spent properly and the work is consistent with the project plan. There is a project audit upon completion and all is open to the public. The local HPC's are made up of local volunteers and submit requests from entities such as the Arizona Elk Society, the Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society and volunteer groups that are unaffiliated. Everything we need is already in place with full transparency. The HPC meetings are open to the public and subject to the Open Meeting Law. The local HPC meetings are also open to the public and accept your input.

AZSFWC could participate in the system if they so choose. However they would not be able to use any of the proceeds for purposes other than stated in the approved project proposals. The purpose of HB2072 is to generate income for AZSFW, AZSFWC and the outfitters serving the tag buyers. There is nothing in HB2072 that would improve on the HPC process or add to the benefit of wildlife.

If more revenue is needed for more projects, we can initiate a statewide habitat improvement stamp, much like CO. The one thing I would propose different from CO is that every license holder be required to buy one, not just those succesful in the draw. A $25 habitat stamp would raise over $3 million per year with almost zero cost to the state. That is much more than what AZSFWC is willing to negotiate with G&F under HB2072.

Also, the Game & Fish Commission has started the Sportmens Constituent Group which will have its first meeting on March 22 from 6-9PM at the G&F headquarters. The purpose of this group is to get direct input from "non-affiliated" sportsmen, people that do not belong to any club or organization. Input will be accepted from clubs and organizations only as time allows.

What more could we ask for? Its a low overhead system with complete transparency and input from all stakeholders. Most importantly, it does not start us down the slippery slope of privatizing big game hunting in AZ.

I'm asking everyone to please support our Game & Fish Commission, Game & Fish Department, the Habitat Partnership Committees (both state and local) and the Sportsmens Constituent Group. This is the stated direction of the commission to prevent AZSFWC and any other similar organizations from gaining a foothold in the legislature. ANY BILL in any form will transfer control from the Game & Fish Commission to the legislators and the influence of lobbyists. We do not need to open that can of worms.

@Billy the Kid

I do not appreciate your input. You are not a resident of Arizona and I am offended by the "we" in your statement. There is absolutely to reason to take money away from legitimate wildlife organizations like the Arizona Elk Society, the Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society, the Yuma Rod and Gun Club and other organizations that do not support SFW, and give that money to SFW for private gain. Every dollar kept by SFW detracts from real progress in AZ.

Please put forth your SFW organizing efforts in your own state where your input might be appreciated.

we are told that Austin entered his info on a site , to an easy post poll, and on the site he actually voted against 2072 but whom ever had his info and made a frudulent post in his name.

he is now stating this message was not from him, he did this as quick as he found out- he tried to relocate the quick link but the server had removed it!

Most people who know him, believe he is against 2072

So these scumm who want this legislation are pushing criminal , fraudualte acts to accomplish their goal .

kinda like some on here who support it. twist facts and try to mislead , misinform everyone.

billy boy go back and kiss up to peavy another way , your comments are not wanted or needed here in Az.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom