Flashlights

B

bucklover

"Surefire fury flashlight"

To make a long story short, my hunting buddy and I ended up having to hike into a steep pine covered canyon to take care of a bull he shot, just before dark. We had moved it down where we could quarter it out, and lay it out to cool, until the next morning when we could come up the bottom with a deer cart. Anyway, by the time we were finished, there was no moon, and we were so deep into the canyon we could barely see any stars. I'm telling you, without light I COULD NOT see my hand in front of my face. We both had several lights, but when he punched the Surefire to high beam, it was amazing. This thing is 500 lumins, and it lit up the whole mountain like it was daylight. It's about as small as most small hand helds, although it is a little heavier. It costs close to $150.00. but that light is the one thing I'm planning on getting as a Christmas gift. Anyone have any good/bad things to say about this light, or have any other suggestions on light with multiple lumin settings?

I love Surefire flashlights. I have an LX2 Lumamax LED that puts out 200 lumens, it's a few years old but it's the best flashlight I've ever owned. I wouldn't hesitate on buying any of the Surefire LED lights. Yes they are expensive but they put out more light than anything else in a very small package. If you decide to buy it, the cheapest I've seen it at is just over a $100 at amazon.

500 lumens!?! That's incredible.

Speaking of adjustable output lights, I just bought a Fenix HL30 headlamp. Reason is that I wanted extra battery capacity (2 AAs) and went to one battery for all my stuff: AA. Used to have AA, AAA and 123As for headlamps, gps, camera, etc.. I give up some flashlight performance but makes life simpler and AAs are cheap.

HL30 runs off of 2 AAs and has adjustable output, from 4 to 200 lumens (4 settings). 140 hours at 4 lumens but under 2 hours at 200 lumens, not too long.

I hike in and out in the dark a lot. 4 lumens is enough for places where you know where you are but the 200 lumens is amazing. The "color" of the light is right also, less blue and more true daytime like light.

Surefire products are much higher quality and I'd buy a Surefire 2 AA headlamp if they made one.

500 lumen is a lot of light. Might I suggest that 500 is over kill for hunting. Spotlighting maybe not, but 500 is too much light. You might find 200 lumen adequate and less money.
I have hunted with a Zebra light ($60)for a couple years now and it provides all the light I need (up to 200 lumen). I don't see any reason to tell everything on the mountain that you are your way in.

The light has two settings. I didn't plan on walking in anywhere with the bright light broadcasting my presence. On rare occasion, a bright light is really nice to have available. If I'm spending $60 or $80, I'm going to go ahead and spend $120. to get the best. I've played that game with binoculars, because I couldn't afford the best. This game I can afford to play. Otherwise, I will always wish I had. Good enough is okay, until you're next to someone who has what you really wanted.

While I agree that 500 lumens is a lot of light, the low setting of 15 lumens is plenty of light to just find your way around, plus it will last a very long time on one set of batteries. I find the higher setting to be useful for all kinds of things which are mostly after the kill or in camp. The most important one is tracking blood at night. If for some reason you don't want to track the next day because of potential rain at night, the higher light output allows you to see stuff that you otherwise would not be able to with a light that puts out less light. The other important one for me is when I need the higher output just briefly enough to see a good distance away. I can quickly push the button and the world lights up and I can either continue in the right path or make any adjustment I need to. Then all of the things that the higher light is wanted around camp and you have a winner.

The other side to this is were not talking about a huge light that takes up a ton of space, these things fit in the palm of your hand. If you can get a light that does the little things that are needed from any flashlight and then also do the things that used to require 4 D cell batteries in a large housing but now all in a package the size of a small candy bar, why not have it to be able to use it?

LAST EDITED ON Nov-26-12 AT 08:22PM (MST)[p]Dack77, If I could have said it as well as you, you would have taken the words right out of my mouth. Thanks! +1

I know that this thread is a little old but I just found it. Wanted to voice my experiences in case anyone else is still looking for lights.

I agree 100% with Tank on the Zebra Light products. This hunting season I ran into the issue of batteries (brand new batteries) going out, shuffling through various battery types and walking out almost 3 miles with one light between 3 people. Not fun. I was so disgusted that I researched a lot and found Zebra Light. I bought a flashlight and spotlight each for my wife and I. Plan to get one of each for my father and brother too. No more AA, AAA, 3 Volt, CR 123, etc. It makes sense to have one type and the ability to interchange. I bought the SC52 flashlight (280 lumen, 0.9 hrs at 280 lumen and 3 months+ at 0.5 lumen) and the H502 headlamp (260 lumen, 0.9 hrs at 260 lumen and 3 months+ at 0.5 lumen). Now granted 0.5 lumen is very low light but each light has 11 settings that range from flood to strobe, with varying lumen settings. Lots of options to extend battery life. They are machined from aluminum and have an unbelievable warranty. They are built small and I have big hands, so we will see how that feels to me when I am using them in the woods next fall. They also have lots of different models and options. Not trying to sell them, I just am trying to let others know about a very quality product that can't be found in a Cabela's.

Seems like the Fenix lights that mtAl discussed are right along the same lines of quality and performance. Looks like a great product.

I have used Surefire lights the past 8 years and they have performed fine. No complaints other than burning through batteries very fast and taking odd battery types. That is why I switched. I think that too often we get narrow-sighted on what's popular at Cabela's without seeing the other much better quality products that are available out there.

Just my opinion guys. Take it for what it's worth. Not saying Surefire or any other brand is bad. We each know our own needs and hunting style better than anyone else. Best of luck to you all!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-06-13 AT 01:20PM (MST)[p]Couple of points.

Surefire sells its own CR123 lithium batteries, can be had online in 20 packs for around $22.

Lithium's are superior in cold weather and are lighter than alkaline batteries.

I much prefer lights for outdoor use that have a setting or provide around 80-150 lumens for hours of use.. I find the low output of 10-15 lumens is useless.

I own several Surefire lights, the recently discontinued G2 LED or 6P led were ideal at 80-100 lumens for hours of light.

I am really liking my Klarus XT2C as it has three light levels. There are many multi level lights out there now, Fenix,Klarus,Olight,Jetbeam ect.

Another option (and highest quality/reliability) is to put in a led module in the older Surefire lights (6p,G2). Malkoff devices makes top quality drop in modules for the older 2 cell 123 Surefire lights where you can pick your brightness and run time. The P61 low output module runs with two 123 cells at 100 lumens for 5 hours at full brightness before it tapers off.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom