Fly Over w/ Plane

muleyman

Very Active Member
We bro-inlaw and I just got back from the Wallowa's outside Joseph. I was forturate enought to take a nice whitetail buck first day...I dont have an archery elk tag but my bro-inlaw does...I drew a first season bull tag for Imnaha and going with the ranch owner.

I had permission to hunt on a ranch and the ranch owner told us the day we arrived he "flew" the area the day before and found lots of elk in this certain drainage.

The first morning he took us to the bottom of the drainage and said "the elk are up there". I kind of felt guilty but my bro was excited. We started at 4300 feet and ended up around 7600.
We ended up seeing around 40 head and 3 nice bulls. One bull was bugling and some cows were talking! We cow called and the bulls responded...kind of wierd cause its so early.

Anyways we ended up getting within 40 yrds with the wind in our face. I could have arrowed a bull and my bro never had a shot...

My questions is do any of you ever done this with a plane??? What to you think of it??? I've never done this and dont think its too ethical but thats me...

muleyman

I dont have any issues with what you did its not like you asked the land owner to fly it for you. Its no different if a friend was driving around the unit that you were hunting and happened to locate a herd and told you where they were at. Now if you were sitting in camp waiting for the piliot to get back to tell you where the animals are at at that very point in time it would be different

isn't there some kinds waiting (time) period before going in after them, 24 hours or ?...

These stories really amaze me, and folks wonder why it's so hard to gain permission to hunt on private property anymore. Please someone tell me I'm off my rocker, but if someone gave you permission to hunt on their private land, and took the time to scout or fly it so you could be more successful would you question their ethics. Most landowners know the laws inside and out and likewise with their property. I just don't understand if you harvested a nice buck, and you and your brother had a great time elk hunting, suddenly when it's over you question the way it was provided, WOW. I know for one thing that would be the last time you would hunt on my property. Just my two cents.

the "private land" only holds deer. also the "fly over" was for his family that was archery hunting this week...he was nice enough to take us to the area he saw the animals. I wasnt elk hunting and the land owner didnt even know my brother in-law had an elk tag until we got there!

I guess Im old school when it comes to stuff like this...And yes its my God given right to question someones ethics redside, I dont care if its my own dad I'm questioning...

muleyman

LOL....hey muleyman' you ever need help opening the gate let me know, be happy to help.....LOL

no laws were broken and good for you on have a conscience!

Manny ~

Where you huntin this year? Back to Murds Creek??? I was up there a couple weeks ago and seen some dandy's! Lots of muleys and a few elk...

Taker easy

muleyman

>Manny ~
>
>Where you huntin this year? Back
>to Murds Creek??? I was
>up there a couple weeks
>ago and seen some dandy's!
>Lots of muleys and a
>few elk...
>
>Taker easy
>
>muleyman

yah, looking for a nice bull, but no luck yet, not sure if i should go back this week or wait till next...?

REDSIDE: "Most landowners know the laws inside and out and likewise with their property." ???? Apparently the landowners here in Harney County are the exception to this rule. I have done a fair amount of private land hunting around here and I almost always have to walk the landowner through the proper procedures/laws. It's not that they don't care, just a bit more worried about the falling price of beef and hay? and I'm not surprised they don't take time to learn the hunting law. Many don't hunt, and even more don't care.

Back
Top Bottom