Freezer Life for Meat

LTrain210

Growing up we never had a problem eating all the big game meat we would bring home over the course of a year. In the young family I have now I'm really the only one who likes the wild game meat, so it's taking longer to finish it. How long do you guys keep your meat in the freezer before it goes bad, or you invite all the homeless over for a cookout? Do some species keep longer then others? I have pronghorn, mule deer, and elk. I've also thought about taking everything that's a year old and just making jerky out of it. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Not real sure myself. I've had meat in the freezer for about a year and it seems to eat ok. I'll eat just about anything also..

I've had some elk steaks that were 3 years in freezer and double wrapped and nothing wrong with the meat.

Brian

Ditto what Brian said. If you find a bit of freezer burn, it can be trimmed out. People will pay high dollar for pack meals with freeze dried meat in it, but many shirk at a bit of freezer burn.

It also depends if you have a frost free freezer. If you do the meat will not last very long due to the defrost cycle.

Double wrapped, saran wrap and freezer paper over that will go over a year to 2 very easy. Vacuum packed will last also up to 2 years, maybe more. If you are getting to the end cycle of roasts, make them into sausage and you might get the rest of the family helping you to eat it.

RELH

This is like asking how many years a set of tires will last. ;-)

It will all depend on how well the meat is wrapped. If it's just single wrapped in some butcher paper, 6 to 12 months is probably the limit. If it's vacuum packed with a FoodSaver type thingie so all of the air is removed, it will last for a few years. And then there are several scenarios in between the two. -TONY

this is for vac pack meat..two years deer, elk, antelope..
1 yrs all fish... unless canned!
as long as the meat is not freezer burned and has that weird ice on the inside (mean the package lost vacuum..)its going to taste great!
I only eat what I can and share what I don't eat....every year I find some thing left to give away to the guys at work who enjoy venison but don't hunt and they always say it was the best!
I vacuum everything and even will check on all items to see which will need to be eaten first..venison meat is a premium investment..
rm

Thanks for all the advice! My buddy has a vacum packaging machine so I'll be sure to vacum my harvest this year. I know that sounds optimistic but with an Oryx, Elk, and Mule Deer hunt I should be able to bring at least a few steaks home.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom