FUTURE QUALITY OF LE UNITS???

Majority of the hunters want that quality of a hunt, thats why the are putting in for those tags, if they wanted the opportunity hunt then they would put in for the less successful tags, or less quality tags, but they are not, they are choosing to wait, I know the system, and play the odds, like I said my kids will only wait a few years, because I know the odds to draw san juan suck, so we will hunt else where. If you want to wait that is totally up to those that are wanting to wait. There is tags you can draw with zero to 5 points.

So, if we want to look at some #'s here, I dug up a few. This is to show that we can add more archery tags in ALL OF SEPTEMBER and put the rifle hunt end of October or 1st of November. These #'s come from a Wyoming unit that has an Archery hunt in Sept 1-30 and a rifle hunt that goes last week of October to the 1st week of Nov. Look at the success rate %. Archery is mid 20 at 25% and Rifle is 57%.

Out of 295 rifle tags, 143 killed a branched antler bull, 7 killed spikes, 13 cows and 7 calves. This is a trophy unit in Wyoming and its success was 57%

Out of 159 archery elk tags, 40 killed bulls, and this does not include all the cow tags. That is a seperate line. But this one is 25%

Maybe if Utah switched its hunts somewhat like this, and not even change the # of tags the 1st year, monitor the success rates, and goes from there. This is a huge change from utahs 85-95 or even 100% kill rates on rifle rut hunts hunts. If that was the case, we could add 30% to 40% more tags if our success rates went down from lets say 90% down to 50%.

Archery success will not go up alot. I would dare say it will stay single digit increase in success rates if they hunted the whole month of Sept.

My thoughts and ideas.

Heres a question? What will happen to these hunters once they draw there tags? Will they then flood the LE deer units with applications and we will be crying the blues that the deer pool is to big and it takes 30 yrs to draw a LE deer tag?

LAST EDITED ON Oct-03-18 AT 02:13PM (MST)[p]You know that there are hunters who care about the animals when they want to decrease their odds of success.
It's what I like to see.
I agree that there could and should be s better balance of tag numbers, hunting dates, etc.
I don't archery hunt but I believe this conversation is in the rhelm of where the DWR says ?it could do better?

I also think this conversation could also be carried over to our general season units in terms of quantity.
The mule deer bucks in my GS took a pounding during the muzzleloader this last week!
I'm seeing not just a loss in quality, but quantity too.

"Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak. So
we must and we will."
Theadore Roosevelt

>Bessy-
>
>Set the emotion aside for a
>minute and engage in a
>rational discussion. You have
>been applying for 20+ years
>and waiting patiently for a
>quality LE elk hunt.
>We get it. I
>hope you draw a tag
>in the near future, kill
>a monster, and have the
>hunt of a lifetime.
>
>Not stop thinking about yourself and
>think about our children and
>grandchildren. I have a
>7 year old son who
>is crazy about hunting.
>Let's say that he starts
>applying for a LE elk
>hunt five years from now
>when he is 12, how
>long will it take him
>to draw a tag?
>Will he ever get a
>chance to hunt? Is
>our current system sustainable moving
>forward?
>
>I am not looking to screw
>the rifle hunters or those
>who have been applying for
>two decades for a specific
>tag. However, we simply
>have to start considering changes
>to our broken system, and
>I believe that one obvious
>place to start is to
>move the rifle hunt out
>of the peak of the
>rut. Will that one
>change solve all of our
>problems. No, but it
>is a start and we
>need to consider other changes
>that will have the overall
>impact of lowering success rates
>and moving more sportsmen through
>the system.
>
>Since you are against increasing tags
>or changing the season dates,
>what changes would you support
>that would give more sportsmen
>a chance at a LE
>elk hunt?
>
>-Hawkeye-
>
>My Favorite Expo Tag Quotes:
>
>"It is fair to ask how
>much comes in with the
>five dollar application fees and
>how much went onto the
>ground.? Don Peay of
>SFW during 3/31/2005 Wildlife Board
>Meeting.
>
>"There will be a full accounting
>of how the applications fees
>are spent.? Don Peay
>of SFW - 9/26/2006 -
>Monstermuleys.com

Pay More Attention Hawkeye!

I Said & Plead before the Point System was ever Put in Place it Wasn't a Fair System & would eventually Fail!

But Nobody Listened to the Ole cat!

I Said:

What's gonna Happen down the Road in 20 to 30 Years?

Well Here We F'N Are!

I Said it would never be Fair for Young Hunters/Kids/Grandkids!

But Here We Are!

I'm gonna Tell You One More F'N Time!

You Listening?

The SmokePolers Hit The Rut better than the Rifle & Archery Hunters this year!

WTF You gonna Say Next?

Something like:

BY GAWD We better move that F'N SmokePole Hunt out of the Rut!

I Ain't Thinking about Myself!

I Could Care F'N Less if I Ever Take another Big Game Animal!

Evi-F'N-dentally you Haven't been in the Woods this Fall Much or You'd know the Rifle Hunters didn't get the Peak of the F'N Rut!

I Just come off the Mountain Tonight & Seen 200+ Elk/Several Small Herds/All Still Ruttin!

The General Rifle Hunters are gonna get in on the Tail end of the Rut!

Maybe You Can BAWL about them 'DAMN GENERAL' Elk Hunters!

Maybe get that Hunt Moved as Well!

JUDAS!

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

>Looks like Elkass wants his cake,
>pie and ice cream too.
> It looks by his
>comment that he should be
>the only person on the
>unit when he draws.
>He should only have to
>hunt 1 day (morning if
>he can get out of
>bed after a long night
>of beers). Sounds like
>he wants to whistle once
>on his hoochie momma and
>have elk run to him
>next to the pick up
>so he can shoot it
>with his $5000 rifle with
>his $2500 scope on it
>that is sighted out to
>1 mile, to shoot him
>at 27 yards.
>
>Heaven forbid you have to hunt.
>

That's Perty Funny!:D

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

Everyone has valid points

Archery hunt needs to start at the 1 of September and go till the 20 of September every year and they could double the tags on all the units

Then the muzzy hunt starts right after that and only have it go for a week and they can almost double the tags on this also

Then the rifle hunt starts they don't need the rut they have way to much technology and it shows most units are 100% success rate and by moving it into October that will drop success rate so then they can get rid of the late season rifle tags and move them to the October hunt and still add more tags

This will be a lot less pressure on the animals

This will help with the points creep a ton

BUT THIS WILL ONLY WORK IF THEY GET RID OF THE SPIKE HUNT

Wow. After all these years it's the same people on here whining about how bad it is. Really? You really want to limit the tags some more so we can stay home? It already takes 20 years to draw. Yes we had 400 bulls a few years ago but who was killing the majority of them? The trophy/guide business that's who. Technology and money are the culprits just like steroids in baseball. Nevada finally did something about the trail camera problem and other states hopefully will follow but it's doubtful. All you hear is cut the tags, cut the tags!!! I have news for you all. That is not the answer!!!! I will say it again. Make it a hunt again and put limits on what can be used to harvest the animals. The real problem is ur 350 second bow, scoped muzzleloader, 1000 yard rifle, ATV that goes anywhere, trail cameras, drones, Swarovski binos and scopes, planes, 25 helpers, etc. All this crap has made success rates go through the roof! Make it a hunt again. Give me a recurve, sidelock smokepole with ball and patch, a 30/30 or 30/06 with 4 power scope and I'll out hunt all of ya.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom