Future Wyoming deer tags rumor

ELKLOVER

I hardly ever post on here although I do enjoy reading the info here and I'm not one for rumors, but I just got a text from a friend who was visiting with a guy in the WY Game and Fish and he said this is the last year for general deer tags state wide. Everything will be a draw next year. I'm assuming he's speaking about resident hunter tags. Anyone else hear anything of this yet?

that'll go over well....

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

I'll believe that when I see it! I do know the G&F website stated they are starting meetings to discuss license fee increases to be instituted as early as 2013 if they can get concensus and pass it through the Legislature. I just hope for a change it's a decent increase for residents and very minimal for NRs. I doubt that either because it seems as though there is a lot of griping in regards to poor management by lots of folks and they are probably the same ones who don't even want a couple dollar increase in any of their licenses.

ELKLOVER,

I think the WY G&F guy might have been talking specifically about a particular region rather than the entire state. It is highly unlikely that Wyoming would go to a statewide draw next year as it has not been discussed at all.

TOPGUN is correct that the WY G&F is seeking a cost of living license fee increase as according to the G&F fish, they will be broke by July 2015. In fact, WY G&F is seeking to increase their annual funding by $8-10 million just to stay on top of things. If they follow past license fee increases, they will be looking for a 20% increase across the board. They have contracted with an independent group to explore alternative funding options available.

Tell them to be carefull about sticking all their fee increase on NRs. I know a lot of NR's are already on the fence about WY these days. A 20% increase and a lot of guys will bail. Hopefully they can see how well that went over for IDFG a few years ago. IDFG has lost 10 of millions since they raised their fees.

Dax

There is no such thing as a sure thing in trophy mule deer hunting.

SMOKESTICK---That's exactly what I figured might be the case and that he's thinking about down in Regions G and/or H. I would have to agree with Daxter that if the G&F comes up with another fee increase of 20% as you mentioned they do most of the time when they raise fees! I'll keep going regardless of what they raise them to becuase I don't have that many years left to do that type of hunting and I have to do it while the getting is good. However, many just aren't able to do that and have to give up certain things. I'll give up eating before I do hunting, LOL! I think if they raise fees across the board by 20% for NRs and don't at least go with a higher percentage for residents, that they will be slitting their throat after seeing the rebellion by NRs after Idaho did that recently. It's too bad Wyoming law doesn't allow them to put a permanent cost of living increase or small percentage increase in every year and be done with it so everyone knows upfront what costs will be.

Daxter It's going to harder to walk away from Wy because of the bonus pts invested. Id had none so people just left. Trust me I dont want to see it raised again as a NR.

I haven't heard the rumors about G/H going Limited Quota and I've attended several meetings and visited with several GF employees. I believe the only part of Wyoming that is now general that will go limited quota in 2013 is the Platte Valley (Region D) in SE Wyoming. As part of their Platte Valley Mule Deer Initiative, LQ only will be tested for 3 years starting in 2013.

As far as raising fees, I believe Montana is still sitting on 900 LQ elk/deer non-res combos @ $900 a pop. Not sure the money they're going to lose with decreased license sales will be absorbed by those who bought the higher-priced licenses. I think it's a wash for MFWP. Definitely money lost by the tourism industry through 1000 less folks using Montana hotels, gas, restaurants........

Idaho is still feeling some of the effects of their fee increases a few years ago.

Most states are now required to fund all the Non-game programs in their respective states. I'm okay with that, just wish the hikers, bikers, birders, x-crountry skiers, etc. would cough up some funds to fund the non-game programs.

ihuntelk,

I believe you nailed. I think the G&F guy was discussing region D as it will be going to a quota draw. Regions G&H will not be going into the quota next year as it was not discussed this year. The G&F Department would be faced with a lot of trouble should they take that kind of action without first talking with the public and it is not how they fly.

It was pointed out at the last WY G&F Commission meeting that the last two license fee increases for fishermen has significantly reduced the overall number of licenses sold. Problem is, as some have already stated, people that have invested in preference points will likely not want to walk away from them; however, I still believe something else needs to be done besides simply continued license fee increases.

I think the WY G&F will price a lot of people out of hunters out. I have max points for elk, after I draw a LE tag I'm through with LE. Deer general region tags in most cases are as good as LE deer tags. Why pay 40 dollars a year for deer points. It takes 1-2 points to draw most region tags.

If you figure the price of bonus points plus the tag and and factor in hunt quality, I think the F&G will loose money. Everything else cost more money. Just need to have a good product to sell that is worth the money.

They do need to regulate Resident tag numbers in region G and H.

Where are guys going to hunt if Wyoming, Idaho and Montana continue to alienate NRs with their high fees and crappy draw odds? mtmuley

Where are guys going to hunt if Wyoming, Idaho and Montana continue to alienate NRs with their high fees and crappy draw odds?

Well, I, for one will have to stop applying for more than one state if fees go up much more. Just don't have the $$ available to continue the upward spiral. I know when I use my points in Colorado I will not even try the LE units anymore. Not worth the dollars and most likely won't live long enough to draw. I have points invested in Wy. for antelope and will use them hopefully next year. I won't continue to apply and buy points if fees go up 20% +. I know several other guys who are in the same boat as myself, we just don't make enough to keep paying higher and higher NR fees.

>Where are guys going to hunt
>if Wyoming, Idaho and Montana
>continue to alienate NRs with
>their high fees and crappy
>draw odds?
>
> Well, I, for one will
>have to stop applying for
>more than one state if
>fees go up much more.
> Just don't have the
>$$ available to continue the
>upward spiral. I know
>when I use my points
>in Colorado I will not
>even try the LE units
>anymore. Not worth the
>dollars and most likely won't
>live long enough to draw.
> I have points invested
>in Wy. for antelope and
>will use them hopefully next
>year. I won't continue
>to apply and buy points
>if fees go up 20%
>+. I know several
>other guys who are in
>the same boat as myself,
>we just don't make enough
>to keep paying higher and
>higher NR fees.

I think they look at the number of people who pay for the special every year and think if they will do that they wont mind another $100 bucks or so. They are probably right, you can see with the number of applicants increasing nearly every year that the price is not an obstacle....

So if it does go up 20% for non-ressy's

2013 non-ressy fees would look something like this then.....

Elk $720.00/$1320.00

Deer $396.00/$684.00

Antelope $348.00/$636.00

Moose $1,704.00

Sheep $2,724.00

Mountain Goat $2,604.00

I am not sure if the 20% would also be reflected in the 'Points' cost.

Robb

"Where are guys going to hunt if Wyoming, Idaho and Montana continue to alienate NRs with their high fees and crappy draw odds?"

I read this and think about Buzz on another thread talking about how he has made sure there are just as many opportunities for the next generation to go hunting as he had. Just another example of how government has lost touch with the public. Very sad indeed. The wilderness is changing and very few governments are changing with it. Take my word its our children that will suffer.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-03-12 AT 10:11AM (MST)[p]WHOA...those numbers are just a TOUCH off. I don't like 20% but it won't look anything like that!

Regardless of what is decided on, according to the G&F at the live stream meeting on the net last night, the increases won't go into effect until the 2014 season due to the length of time it takes to get the final numbers and then get it passed through the Legislature. That will not happen until next years session.

>Pleasedear...sure glad you aren't my accountant...you
>need to recalculate..

well Longun....you certainly do need an accountant. Please deer's numbers are 20% higher than current prices....

regular first then special is how he lists each specie

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Aug-04-12 AT 03:45PM (MST)[p]Actually they are a little off, but not that much. Rounded down to the nearest dollar they would be, including the nonrefundable application fee:

Elk---$709/$1285
Deer--$391/$679
Antelope---$343/$631

Add in the Conservation Stamp that would go up from $12.50 to $15 and you have a goat costing $358 and a deer costing $406, so the combo that many people like to do would be $749 and probably out of quite a few hunter's budgets.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-04-12 AT 03:43PM (MST)[p]It sure is, so instead of arguing why not read exactly what the figures represent and if you don't believe them, get out your calculator and do the math:
regular elk is now $591 x 1.2= $709.20
" deer $326 x 1.2= $391.20
" goat $286 x 1.2= $343.20

Do the special price yourself and get a little math practice!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-04-12 AT 06:04PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-04-12 AT 04:35?PM (MST)

"Pleasedear...sure glad you aren't my accountant...you need to recalculate.."

So sorry Longgun----seeing as you are a Wyo--ressy....WTF does it matter ~~~~~

Maybe a $5'er here and there...

Robb

Okay---thanks for the PM's waiting for me this morning.

The break is for 20% new

Cheapie Fee/Pricey Fee..non-ressy

NOT

20% new--

ressy fee/non-ressy fee..

Robb

Robb---I think at least one member reading this thread needs to take a reading comprehension course and maybe a math class too, LOL!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom