G3 Goodale Hunt 2014

Bohuntg

LAST EDITED ON Oct-11-14 AT 10:36AM (MST)[p]I still have to pinch myself and open up the nightstand drawer and look at my G3 tag, I still can't believe I drew it. Not coming from a hunting family I'm so thankful that I had to desire to start bow hunting years ago, now I get to see my son enjoying hunting. My son drew X7B and I have been investing my time there but it's time to start refocusing on my 2014 G3 hunt. Thankfully with my available vacation time left I am able to secure the two days before the season opener and the entire season for the hunt. My first thought is camping around the town of independence (i'm open to other places)because it looks like it is in the middle of the zone. I am thinking about bringing a trailer but I can't decide if I'm going to drive north up to Reno and then head south all there or do I drive down to Bakersfield and come up from the south. I have drove this a few times but never pulling a trailer, any any suggestions? I am a little familiar with the high country in that area because I have done some backpacking in that region but I just ordered some more topo maps that will cover the entire area. After I get the Topo Maps I will probably spend many nights pouring over them to try to figure out some of the areas I should target. Everything I do is pretty much DIY since I started hunting on my own back in the early 80's but now 30 years later I finally get the chance to take my first decent buck and the best part is I get to do with my son. Can't wait to get down there and get the meet fellow hunters, until then I will keep journaling my progress and any suggestions you have would be appreciated thanks .

I would also post on the California forum,and if you can get in touch with a M.M. member with the handle of High Country Hays,that would be the guy to go to. He pretty much knows that unit,and has hunted it many times with family and friends. Good Luck...

I drew that tag last year. I understand the excitement you are having.
I'll PM you with some information that may be helpful with your
research.

It has been a long time coming to get this opportunity. It is very exciting for both me an my son. Thanks for the reply any support.

I drew this hunt in 2009. Busted a 26" 4x4 high on the mountain above Division Creek. That year, there was 2 weather events that closed 395 north of Bishop for a few days during the hunt. I don't think that has happened since, but I would keep the Bakersfield route as an option, just in case.

Good job on your 4x4. How long did it take you to hike up the mountain, I am assuming you did this before it got light. I think I am going to play it safe from the response I have been receiving, I am leaning towards heading south through Bakersfield and to Tehachapi then north to Independence.

Bohuntg

Sorry, been hunting Utah and Idaho. No luck. On the Sawmill Pass trailhead, it usually takes about an hour to get up to the top of the bowl, below the Manzanita. I have gone up before light, and gone up at noon, and seen good bucks at both times. They feed and bed in there, on both sides of the trail. Early morning is obviously best. I've noticed the majority of the bucks in this area water at the mouth of Sawmill Creek canyon, and bed and feed on Sawmill Mountain overlooking Division Creek. From Division Creek road, above the powerhouse and the trailhead, you will notice a break where the mountain gets steep. The better bucks I have seen are up in the steep slides above that break. Even seen a Bighorn sheep up there. If you can get above that break, and sidehill real carefully, you may see some good bucks.

When I had the tag, we pulled the trailer to Aberdeen. They may have space. The owner's name is Marty. Cant find the number. Expect a lot of traffic on the available dirt roads.
The hunting mostly will be at the following areas:
Onion Valley- very good area. Most hunters hunt here. I've seen a lot of good bucks both above and below of the mine road.
North Oak Creek- I've only seen average bucks in there, but you never know until you try.
Division Creek/Sawmill Creek- very good area. You need to gain elevation to find the good ones. The mine road further up Division Creek road may have something, but I haven't seen much up that way.
Shinglemill Bench- usually someone will take a very nice buck up there. It is a big climb. Very steep. Ive seen nice bucks watering at Taboose creek and going up early.
There are hills and lava flows just to the south of Taboose creek that have historically held deer, but I think you need big weather on the mountains to get the good ones down.
This is a mid to late rut hunt, so they fight a lot and break horns a lot. By the end of this season, most of the survivors will be broken and beat. The earlier, the better. Good luck.

Sorry about your Utah trip. I've been looking over some maps and had some hunch is about a couple areas and you keyed on on a couple things that I have not heard yet but had inkling to try. That is interesting about you see a lot of broken horns late in the season, probably need to keep this under consideration now. Appreciate your comments and feedback, thanks.

Bohuntg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom