Gaitors

muzz

Long Time Member
Anyone have gaitors that don't collect snow clumps on the strap under your foot when walking?
My gaitors are great but piss me off when the strap that goes around your boot bottom collects snow clumps when im walking.

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

Muzz,
I have just always taken the boot strap and tucked it up into the gaiter, toward the rear. Then I just use the lace clip to hold the gaiter down while in the snow. Works great for me. BTW I love the KUIU, Outdoor Research and Cabelas Ultimate Gaiters. Hope this helps

muzz
Get some selfleveling urethane wipe it on the strap let dry and your good to go. Protects the strap from abrasions also.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-04-14 AT 08:07PM (MST)[p]I just bought a pair of Cabelas gaiters before Christmas and have been wearing them a lot this winter up here in southern MI where we are now in the record books as the second most snow on record here. The replaceable, adjustable rubber strap on these has not had any buildup of ice or snow at all and the gaiters themselves brush right off and are still dry when I come in even though I've been in snow over my knees many times. For only $40+ they have already paid for themselves because they also really keep my lower legs warm in the really cold winter we're also having.

I've used OR, Outdoor Research Crocodiles, for many years in many applications including hunting and back country skiing. They are well designed and wear tough.

I love the gaiters from Kenetrek but I have no use for their boots. I just wear the black ones. They last me about 3 years before it is time to replace them.

I've had the Cabellas Gore-tex hunting gaiters for at least 10 years and they work great. Never leaked or had any snow issues.

Kuiu is the best ive ever used!

hornkiller.jpg

I won't buy the gaiters with strings or just plain nylon straps underneath the boot just for that reason. Buy the ones with the plastic looking straps and the snow build up problem is solved.

I really like the Rivers West gaiters I have. I am on my second set. They wrap around your boot nice and tight making it possible to cross small streams with out water getting into/over your boots.

Bill

I'd wear gaiters, but their darn tails, keep tripping me. Actually, in nasty wet/snowy weather, I love Arctic Mucs. Warm, Dry, no need for gators, and now frozen laces. And yes, they provide support, and are comfortable. But I'm 62 years old, and don't know anything!

Gaiters with the flat nylon straps are better than the low cost ones with woven or braided cord. Spray them with silicone waterproofing, and you wont have an issue with snow clumping. Even WD-40 works pretty good in a pinch!

I find most gaiters are a little noisier than I like, and tend to just wear wool pants and whatever boot is required for the terrain. Like bucklover, I'm 63 and still figuring it all out. :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom