Game Camera Locks

desperatehills

Very Active Member
Does anyone have a good source for buying game camera cable locks? I have 14 cameras now and knock on wood I have yet to have one stolen. But its only a matter of time so I would like to buy a bunch of cable locks but I want them all keyed the same. I can only buy two alike at a time on ebay. What do you guys do? Some day I will build some boxes but for now I just want some cables.

I don't have nearly as many cameras as you do, but I buy some plastic coated 3/16 steel cable and a swedge kit, Swedge the cable to the camera on one end a loop on the other. MasterLocks work for me. If I want to hide them some, I spray-paint the cable to blend in.

Scent from the paint hasn't been an issue. Had elk bedded right under my camera less than 24 hours after I painted a cable.

My camera has a pre made hole to run a cable through to lock the camera to the tree. I drilled out the hole larger so I could use those pre made bicycle locks that have the lock on one end and the quick connect on the other. Works great and less than $15.00 at your local hardware. Cables are coated and If the tree is large in diameter I just connect 2 cables together. ?

))))------->

LAST EDITED ON Oct-20-15 AT 06:36PM (MST)[p]Master lock Python cable locks. I've seen 8 packs available. I picked up a 4 pack a few years back. All keyed the same. Great product.6 ft long.

I ebay searched python locks on ebay and found them as cheap as $10.97 each or $161 for eight. I guess I need to decide if it is worth paying twice as much to have them keyed the same. If it saves one camera they will pay for themselves

Why not use a lock box? I have never had a camera taken. But I have had them ripped off the trees by bears. Elk seem to like to chew on the plastic. I have had a cow elk chew threw a strap and drop a camera while it was videoing her. With a lock box they are protected. From all kinds of wild life. ;-)

The lock boxes are a good idea. I intend to build some when I finish building my shop. The ones you can buy are $30 plus each so that's why I am leaning towards the cables for now.

I had 3 of my cameras abused by wildlife this year. One was stolen by a squirrel, he chewed through the strap and drug it twenty yards down the hill and stuffed it under a log. I have 2000 pictures to prove it. Another one was licked by a range cow. It was all covered in white foam and the strap was missing. I haven't quite figured that one out yet.

I use metal boxes with a cable lock. Thought I was totally secure until this year some jackass pried open the box from the bottom. At least he left the camera. Just stole the SD card. So now I have a metal box with a cable lock around the tree and a Master lock on the bottom!

"You can fly a helicopter to the top of Everest and say you've been there. The problem with that is you were an a$$hole when you started and you're still an a$$hole when you get back.
Its the climb that makes you a different person". - Yvon Chouinard

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom