? Gen Deer 2nd 3rd 4th Choice Draws

ForkWest

Very Active Member
There?s not a lot, but a few rifle and more muzz/archery general tags that can be picked up as 2nd, 3rd or 4th choices. Is there anywhere where you can see the odds breakdown by 1st, 2nd, etc choice? I guess what I really want to know, is if I put in for Unit X rifle as my first choice and don't draw, what are my odds of drawing unit Y muzzy as my second choice?

I've looked through the stats on the DWR site, but it's not readily obvious to me. Any one know?

That will depend on how many preference points you have. You'll be competing with those with the same number of points as you have. Choice order doesn't really matter.

No, I don't think that's correct. I belive PP are only considered for 1st choice.

My understanding is that everyone's first choice is considerd first. Obviously those with the most PP points take the tags, then so on.

Once everyone's 1st choice is considered, those that have not drawn then have their 2nd, 3rd, 4th choices considred. Also 2nd,3rd 4th choices do not burn PPs.

For instance, in '13 I applied for Unit X rifle that had 70% odd for those with 0 points, I didn't draw that tag, but I did draw my 2nd choice and I still earned a PP.

What I can't find in the odds tables is how many people are drawing as 2nd and 3rd choices in some of the easy to draw units/hunts.

Last year I didn't even draw my 5th choice which was Archery.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

>No, I don't think that's correct.
>I belive PP are only
>considered for 1st choice.
>
>My understanding is that everyone's first
>choice is considerd first. Obviously
>those with the most PP
>points take the tags, then
>so on.
>
>Once everyone's 1st choice is considered,
>those that have not drawn
>then have their 2nd, 3rd,
>4th choices considred. Also 2nd,3rd
>4th choices do not burn
>PPs.
>
>For instance, in '13 I applied
>for Unit X rifle that
>had 70% odd for those
>with 0 points, I didn't
>draw that tag, but I
>did draw my 2nd choice
>and I still earned a
>PP.
>
>What I can't find in the
>odds tables is how many
>people are drawing as 2nd
>and 3rd choices in some
>of the easy to draw
>units/hunts.

The process you've described is the way the LE and OIL draws are done, not the general draws.

In the general draws (buck deer and antlerless) they go completely through the choices of each preference point group starting with the group with the highest points before going down to the next group. They consider all first choices, then all second choices, then all third, etc. Once all choices in that group have been evaluated, they move to the next group. But you only lose your preference if you draw your 1st choice.

EFA is correct. Your odds for any of your hunts depends on how many PP you have and if the people with more points than you want to hunt your preferred units.

EFA is correct about not losing your points if you draw 2nd or later choice, but only for the general deer. If you draw your 5th choice on antlerless, you lose your points.

Learned that lesson a few years ago.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-15-15 AT 01:01PM (MST)[p]>EFA is correct about not losing
>your points if you draw
>2nd or later choice, but
>only for the general deer.
> If you draw your
>5th choice on antlerless, you
>lose your points.
>
>Learned that lesson a few years
>ago.

Opps! My bad! :-(

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom