general deer draw mechanics

need4x4

Read page 20 of the "2009 Utah Big Game Guidebook."

My question is on the drawing, will the fill all the choices of the highest point group before looking at any of the choices in the lower point groups?

Seems that if your not going to loose your points now with your second and subsequent choices, then they should look at all first choices before looking at the second choice of the highest point group.

I called the utah dwr, and they guy said that they will look at all the point groups choices before going to the next point group. I didn't think that was exactly fair. But it doesn't need to be fair.

If anyone knows if I can see an expanded explaination or if you can confirm the info. they told me, I would appreciate it.

50% of the tags go to the highest point people, and the other 50% go into the random draw...so you could pull a tag with 0 points if your lucky.

Need- I agree with you. They should look at all 1st choices, then go on to the second choices.

Say a guy has 3 points. He could put the preference point code as choice #1, then draw whatever deer tag he wants AND still get a point. He could do this forever if the system does not change.

Or, if a guy has 2 points and does not draw Southern then he could draw Central as a 2nd choice and get a point. While the guy with 1 point for Central can not draw as his first choice.

Utah sure makes it harder than it should be.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com
-------------------------

I should have been specific. I am asking about the draw for general deer.

Is that true for general deer. The person on the phone made no mention of that.

I thought that was true of the once-in-a-lifetime and the limited entry permits. had not heard of that on the general draws.

Please elaborate or confirm.

Thank you.

Packout-

You are making my point exactly. This is my exact question.

It is possible the person I talked with at the Utah DWR, did not understand the full scope of my question. So, I e-mailed them today and will await what they say when they respond.

My first response was to nochawk above.

what i said applies to the OIL and LE draws..

for the general draws I believe it is by the random number you generate when you apply, the lowest numbers get the tags.

But I see your point, some people put the northern unit as choice 4 or 5 and draw it and still get a point...but on the other hand, I have 4 PP for deer and still can not draw the southern unit.I only put 1 choice in...

Wyoming screwed up and did their drawing this way in 2007. A bunch of people with one point drew H (and other units) as a second choice and therefore got a preference point and got to go hunting and there was a lot of people with 0 points that put H down as a first choice and didnt get a tag (they got screwed). Fortunately they fixed this in 2008.

I would laugh if Utah did the drawing like this in 2009 as yes anybody with a general deer point could put the preference point down as a first choice and draw the region of their choice as a second choice and keep their preference points and do it again next year however I would bet if they are dumb enough to do this in 2009 they would not repeat it in 2010 so it would be a one year windfall for these people.

They have to look at everybody's first choices before giving out tags to second choice applicants and the preference points should only apply to the applicants first choice. After the first choices are all drawn or not drawn the remaining choices of the remaining applicants in the pool need to be considered equally.

I agree. Does anyone know a person in DWR that I could ask this specific question?

As I mention, I called and was given an answer, but was not sure the person understood what I was asking.

I think if you put point as your first choice, you can't put a subsequent choice, but I will get that clairified.

I don't know for sure how this is going to work out this year. It seems in years past when I was using the online application proccess once I selected preferance point only or bouns point only all other selections where grayed out I could not select anyother opption to draw out on. I hope that the DWR has the same proccess in play with the Genreal season deer tags also.

400bull

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom