Goat help needed!

P

patience

Some buddies and I are planning a 4 day backpacking trip into a lake this Sept. to do some fishing and we thought it would be nice to have some meat while camping.

Packing it in is too much weight so we came up with the idea of buying a goat to pack in our food. We also decided to eat the goat, he is the meat.

My question is: how big of a goat should we get to pack our food and feed four of us without having to waste any meat? We will eat goat meat with breakfast, lunch, and dinner if possible.

Any help is appreciated.

lmao.....billys are the best eating. The bigger the balls..the sweeter the meat. Have fun. Of course, a nanny could serve a third purpose.

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

GEEZUS!

Take/Buy a Horse & stay an extra week!

For GAWDS Sakes Guys,We Got Kids on this Site,Some of them are 65 years Old!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

LAST EDITED ON May-23-11 AT 05:26AM (MST)[p]>lmao.....billys are the best eating. The
>bigger the balls..the sweeter the
>meat. Have fun. Of course,
>a nanny could serve a
>third purpose.
>
>
>JB
>
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Oh what, like the billy/nanny ever made a difference to you JB? :)

wow ! that reminds me of a guy i work with that pics up a old lab or pointer variety of dog at the pound for bird season and then takes the poor dog back when the season is over. frickin cruel !

You cannot KNOW how bad I want to expound on THIS post!

Why don't you ask what you REALLY want to know about goats?

"whackin' a surly bartender ain't much of a crime"

I think it's funny that on a hunting forum some of you find it cruel or wrong to slaughter an animal for food.

If anyone has any real advice I'd be grateful and willing to trade info for deer in SW Idaho units 32, 39, or 43.

The best goats for packing are wethers (neutered males). The best breads are La Manchas, Alpines, Sable-Saanans and a few crosses of these. Goat meat on the other hand tastes awful! You's be better off packing in a couple good steaks and eating them the first night. Not to mention are you going to buy a saddle, panniers etc for the one trip then pack those out with you? Also goats just bought off a farm aren't going to just pack well with you. They need the right temperament and need to be in hiking shape. If they are not in the right shape they won't make it very far. I had a pack goat that was lucky to make it off the mountain once because he was so miserable. He would just lay down and wouldn't go anywhere. Most goats are quite personable and fun to have around. He was probably the only one I considered killing on the mountain and if I liked goat meat I probably would have. But what I am saying is there is a lot more to it than just buying some goat, throwing some food on it hiking it 10+ miles into the back country then eating it. When I pack I always am willing to carry an extra few pounds so I can eat better on the mountain.

Good info, thank you. We were planning on making a pack frame and burning it when we got there, pack the food sacks out.

they get lots of attention but also hold lots of deer that never get seen. I don't often see other hunters where I hunt.

I've done a lot of backpacking in my time. I think for the expense and trouble I would just pack a couple pounds of jerkey. JMO. If you pack right, you can go in for a week and keep your pack under 40 lbs.

I have no problem killing and eating a goat, if that's what you want to do. You'll have to buy one, train it, feed it, transport it to the trailhead, etc.

Eel

Best try eating one at your house first you might find out the taste about like they smell. LOL

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

How bout takin a JOISEY?

You could have Milk for your cereal while you were there!

I'd hate to see anybody Inconvenienced!

For GAWDS Sakes Guys,We Got Kids on this Site,Some of them are 65 years Old!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

If you could pack a 12 pack of Bud Light on one Paul Crawford would probably own a herd of them.Take lots of pictures,can't wait to see them and here the story...

i dont know why you wouldn't want the goat for packing a deer out?

and goat meat is truley one of the most disgusting thing i've ever eat. if i was you i would try it first.

Might not have been cooked right. I remember going to buried goat parties when I was stationed in California in the 70s. Good stuff if the coals are allowed to do their thing.

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

If i remember correctly, the pronghorn antelope is a member of the goat family and they tast delicious. just remember to eat that meat right away or get it cold anyway you can.

Nope; my shop super was a BBQ freak. Once a month or so he would have us over to his place for a feast. Usually a goat or pig or both had been buried on top of some coals a couple days before.

Lotsa beer and food.

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

I guess my question would be, are you actually planning to butcher and immediately eat the goat?

You might be OK with the heart and liver, but if you don't plan to hang the thing in some COOL air, for a few days, you would be better off boiling up some sage rats or marmots.

I have cooked goat in the ground and it was OK, but it had been aged in a walkin for several days.....and we had a LOT of beer!

The term "camp meat" is highly overated!.....unless you are a starving caveman.

Use the goat to pack in some burger and steaks.

Turn it loose when you are done and it will probably follow home, which ever of you kissed it last.

"whackin' a surly bartender ain't much of a crime"

patience, you just have to sort out the BS from the good stuff here.

Your plan is just amuzing to me. I dislike backpacking. I know lots of guys love it. I never have. I have used horses, considered llamas, but they all come with a lot of excess baggage.

I have joked in the past that if I ever did backpack again I would buy a bunch of cheeap gear (actually all mine is already cheap gear) pack in, set up camp and hunt. Then when it was time to pack out I would pile up all my gear and burn it right there so I didnt have to pack it out. :) Taking a goat to pack in your stuff and then killing and eating the goat and burning the saddle just takes my joke up a notch. :) :) :)

If it works for you, more power to you. I think you have gotten at least one response filled with very good advice. Just laugh at the rest of us and use the good.

patience
maybe you could eat some fish?? LOL
Good luck, Lots of people in the world eat goat.
You should get some recipes and try it out.
I was in Sudan, the cook brought out some soup, I seen a eye ball in my bowl and the cook ask me if I knew what kind of soup it was. I said goat head soup, he laughed and said thats what they call it. The whole head simmered into soup! tounge, eyes, brain, lips, It was edible thats all I'll say!

Cannon

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom