Good rangefinder???

forkhunter

I have always hunted (rifle) without a rangefinder, but would like to finally enter the modern era and get one. Any suggestions on what types/brands are best suited for rifle hunting?

Thanks.

don't enter the modern era of huntin. especially with a range finder. Huntin, Hmmm, making a shot that requires a range finder too me is not huntin! just my .02 cents..

I realize that "gadgets" can take us further and futher away from really "hunting", but the same things can be said about a telescopic sight or binoculars.

My advice is to get one of the small, fit in your shirt pocket models. Otherwise, they are too bulky to carry in a daypack, etc. so you end up not taking them. Here is a link to the one I have and really like: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...nder&noImage=0&returnPage=search-results1.jsp

If all your hunting is out of a blind, then a larger model would be ok. However, I bought a larger model first, then took up muzzleloading and archery, and had to buy the smaller model.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

LAST EDITED ON Feb-06-06 AT 07:55AM (MST)[p]I just went through this myself.

Here is what I decided. Taking into account cost, function with a rifle, and quality, go with the Leica 900. The Japanese brands and Bushnell do not work far enough out for rifle use. Maybe the Bushnell 1200, or whatever it is does, but now you are getting close enough to the Leica price to justify the extra cost for the German brand. Looking through the Nikon was like looking into a manhole. It is way too dark and the glass is cheap in comparison to Leica.

Leupold has the new rangefinder/ ballistic kind. I do not know what they cost or anything, but they may be worth a look.

I have not played with my Leica much but I can tell you I have ranged a horse at 512 yards, a portable outhouse at 630 something, and a metal building at 1215 yards. It seems to live up to it's claims and I would call this rangefinder "good." They are sold for a minimum price of $499. Anything more is a rip-off.

Also, don't be fooled by the yardage claims. For deer sized game you can divide the claim by two to get the actual yardage they are good for. Nikon 400 = 200 yards. Leica 900 = 450 yards.

Go with the Leica man! I've owned a couple of the lower end stuff and there really is no comparison. If you settle for one that is less expensive you'll notice a big difference in the middle of the day. I'm not a range finder expert by any means but the Leica has a very fast lazer. Even in bright conditions with not so refelective surfaces it will still read way out there where the cheaper, slower lazers will not.

Be patient and keep your eyes open. You can find a like new used Leica 900 for $300 here and there if you are willing to wait for it.

Good luck,

NvrEnuf

For rifle go with the Leica 900. I went with the Nikon 400 (good quality for price), but I'm going after animals with my muzzleloader and bow. When I'm with my kids, they won't be shooting beyond 200 yards.

Smokepole

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom