google earth

31incher

Hey guys... I was just wondering if you guys use google earth for scouting. Not just looking for big foot and the abinomal snowman. Im talking about elevation change and distance from point a to point b. Im trying to do it from a mobile phone and as far as I can tell its not possible. Can you do it from a computer or not? Maybe somebody knows and can help thanks!

Yes. I've found some nice little high country basins courtesy of Google Earth. You still want to hike in and glass and see the country first hand, but Google Earth can help narrow down and save some miles.

Yes, I use Google Earth extensively. I have not tried it on my phone, but on a computer it is possible to find out distances and it will tell you elevation wherever you place the cursor.

I used it for my ML hunt in NV and it simply helped with distances from one point to another. Didn't really help with elevations for me. I studied a certain area pretty well on GEarth but when I actually hiked it, it was nothing that I expected. I will study googlearth in a different light on my next hunt in NV 192. I'll realize that things are not as they seem on GEand elevations are different than I have assessed then . Its nice to know where canyons and draws are but its very difficult to know that the elevation difference is in certain elevations.

M'Balz Es Hari

I have GPS Maps from Trimble, thru Cabela's.

I bought an iPad simply for this program. It is WAY better than GE.......and it is free!.......look it up on your computer.

I don't know if it has a phone app or not, I wanted the "big picture".

"Being an idiot is NOT an art form. Give it up!"

I use it to look for potential springs, and look at terrain in general. Major trails can be seen pretty easily in open country.

I like to lay the map out giving it a "from the ground" view...if it looks steep at all on Google Earth...it's gonna be twice as bad in real life.

Best of Luck,
Jeff
http://www.elkmtngear.com

To determine distance and elevation change I really like Hillmap.com. Works best on a computer or IPad. You have a split screen that you can change layouts to compare satellite views with several different topo and forest maps, including mytopo. You can build paths on one map and it will show up on the other so you can be a little more accurate in determining distance and elevation gain. The paths can also be saved and sent to others by e-mail if needed. It will also tell you how steep some of the hills you may or may not want to climb or drop into.

Absolutely. Good for finding water sources as well, whether its for an early season archery tag or a high country pack in hunt where you need to have water.

Thanks for the recommendation Nick, will have to check that out on the Ipad.

I use an app called topo maps on the iphone
and then import them in to google earth
Then export way points to the phone from GE
Works seamless.
I have never paid more than .99 for any app
But 7.99 is the best money you will spend.

On my computer I use the CO DOW GMU mapping software it seems a little more clear when you zoom in and shows public/private, GMU boundaries, and you can use it in all states but not the GMU boundaries.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom