Grizz or Brownie?

J

jt00082

I've been having a few bears hit my bait and this bear is stumping me and a few of my buddies. Do you guys think it is a grizz or a brownie?

3315bear1.jpg

3119bear2.jpg

470bear3.jpg

Definitely a black bear, and looks to be a nice one at that.

Not only can you tell by the hump, but their faces look different too.

Here?s a grizz as it looks from the side.

21-2.jpg

Have a good one. BB

I'd pass - if based only on those three photos- reason being that the dog face in pic three says he's a grizz. The only shot of the "no hump" is pic #1, and if he's young, it won't be really prominant. Pic #1 doesn't put his rump much higher than his front shoulders. I'd say maybe....maybe not. I wouldn't find out the hard way.

Guys- don't blast me with the "you're wrong" comments - just sayin that based on ONLY those three photos I wouldn't kill it.... But I sure would be out in stand lookin for him to put them all together in a live-judging episode.

edpre

Grizzly and Browns are the same species. I would say - yes it is. Not a black bear. I agree with the dog face, and also on pic one, it looks like there is a shoulder hump there, though its not very prominant. A black bear would be more round on the face and back.

Marcial

Really nice large black bear. Those that think it's a grizzly need to take the Wyoming bear ID test. No doubt they'd fail.

My gut tells me that is a black bear. However, for those of you that are so sure it is a blackie, please describe which picture demonstrates the key traits.

A grizly would have:

1) A Hump? The first picture kind of shows a hump to me. At a minimum it has large raised front shoulders. The other pictures, the shoulders are not visible.

2) Small rounded ears. Those ears don't look too long, and are kind of rounded.

3) Concave face. These pictures definitely show a concave face, not a straight or raised one.

4) I cannot see its feet to check for the large claws.

So, if I was taking the Montana bear test, I would have to withhold judgement until I got a different view. If I was hunting...I would shoot it!

Big Blackie. Nice looking Bear, I would guess it's a older Boar.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Run up to it and smack it real hard, than climb up a tree. If it follows you up the tree it's a black bear, if it stay's on the ground trying to shake you out of the tree it's a grizz.

I'm no bear expert but I would say black bear.

Last year, I was guiding a grizzly hunter and we looked at 13 different grizzlies on his hunt, none of them looked anything like this bear. For those of you that think this is a grizzly, make sure you hire a guide before going grizzly hunting!

Colorado Lion Hunt:

Mineshaft Lion Hunt:
http://trophyroom.com/video/lls8ViwJcT

It's a color phase black bear, grizzlys and brownies are the same bear, grizzlys live inland, browns by the coast

When I first opened this thread, I was confused for a minute, as the OP asked if it was a grizzly or brown bear, but the pictures were of a Black Bear. I was like, huh? And as others have said, a brown bear is a grizzly and a grizzly a brown bear, just called by a different name based on location.

That's a nice black bear. I think I know what I'm talking about since I've seen quite a few of all species, and am sitting here typing this in my game room, which has a couple brown bears, a mountain grizzly and black bear all in it, all within 30' of me as I type this. The guys who think that's a grizzly need to take a bear identification class.

First of all, are you hunting a state and area that has Grizzly bears?
Second of all, there is no doubt or guessing involved, that is a very nice black bear.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom