Gunnison area winter kill?

adamwipp07

Ive heard from some people that this winter has been ruff on the elk and deer population in the gunnison area? Wondering if there is any truth to this, and if I should be worried about hunting there this year?How has the rest of colorados winter been?

I saw a season snowfall report that I think showed a 15% above average total so far.

Snowpack in the high country is above average, but the wintering grounds lower didn't get as much snow. Deer and elk should come through the winter fine.

IMO while this may not (fingers crossed) be as bad as the 07-08 winter it has been still a very hard winter for the gunnison basin animals. We had a ton of snow early and some area's around crested butte spent most of the winter above 135% - 140% of normal snowpack.. Some of the wintering grounds have not seen the snow of 07 - 08 while others have been hit hard with snow.

Just to put it into perspective from 2000 - 2007 the gunnison units were 2nd in colorado for mule deer book entries and since the winter of 2007 there have been 0 book entries for the gunnison basin. They just have not recovered to the same level of pre 2007.. Fair to say that this winter will not help the deer pop any...

I live in the area and love to hunt these units but I am going to look a bit further to the east this year at a 0 point unit and wait for the gunnison units to rebound.

I would hear what waygoner is say n on winter kill. It will take 10 years for the gunny basin deer to come back IMO from 07/08 winter. This winter isnt even close to that winter.Still some nice bucks around just not alot of them.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom