Hart Mtn long ago

mdbrown

Long Time Member
i got to thinking about the 2 hunts i went on there around 1979. i was a pup back then . there were deer everywhere. huge bucks just about anywhere you would look. at least huge bucks for a 17 year old blacktail hunter.those are great memories that i have of those 2 hunts . i dream of going back and hunting it some day but it sounds like i would be disapointed. anyone else got any Hart Mtn stories from long ago?

I never got to hunt it, but my Grandpa did for 30 years. He took 15 bucks out on Hart with a bow, two of which qualified for P&Y. When they first opened it for archery hunting, he said 1600 people signed in at the refuge. They hunted all week long and only saw one other hunter. There first day there they counted 54 bucks FROM CAMP. This was his largest killed in 1980, it scored 186 7/8ths.

img006-1.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jul-08-11 AT 01:51PM (MST)[p]Not just Hart Mountain back in late 60's early 70's I would often see 60 or more deer a day in Murders creek and the family never shot any thing less than a 4 point. Wow have things changed.

Blacktail hunting in the NW coast range if we did not see 20 deer a day it was a bad day.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.

Same story for the Trout Creeks; late 70's and even into the early 80's. It's been a long time....

Ras

Back
Top Bottom