Havalon Knife Question

IdahoSmitty

I have read a bunch on these knives either from MM or from the havalon website. It seems as though this knife is well liked and I have been considering purchasing the orange handled knife. I wanted to run a few things by you guys before I purchased or made a mistake.

1. is this the only knife you pack in your pack?

2. Does this knife work well for boneing meat?

3. What blades do you guys prefer? (I watched an eastmans show and mike said he like a certain blade because it was a blunt tip and wouldn't be as easy to puncture the hyde)

Any other feedback on this knife will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance...Smitty

I carry two knives in my pack. I carry a small Knives of Alaska knife to make the main cuts through the hide and then I use the Havalon from there on. I use it to skin and flesh and cape but don't use it for taking the meat off the bone but I could.

The blades are thin kinda like a scalpel but just longer. If you are making a cut that requires a lot of pressure, use a different knife. After the cuts through the thick hide are done, this knife will do the rest. My buddy and I switched knives in the middle of skinning/de-boning an elk last year, and I could not believe how much easier this knife was to use for the intricate cuts.

I use my other knife approx. 10% and this knife approx. 90%

}}-SLIVER-->

I use the blade on my multi-tool for misc. cutting in camp, etc. For breaking the animal down I use the nothing but the Havalon w/#60 blades. For caping I will put on the #22 blade.

Get the blue one...its some sort of plastic and waaaaaay lighter than the metal ones....JMO but your carrying it.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

It is the only knife that I cary. Last year I did a moose 2 elk and a couple of deer with them. Once you get used to it you will not have any problems with them. The moose was the first animal I did with one and it was the only knife that I took to AK on that hunt.
Jay

LAST EDITED ON Sep-03-10 AT 04:12PM (MST)[p]I used a havelon last year on a dall sheep hunt and really didn't like the blade I had on mine for skinning the cape or boning meat....too easy to put holes through the cape. Also, when I tried to poke through the "Y" on the skull I ended up snapping a blade and came mighty close to putting the knife through my hand! I broke a 2nd blade when trying to cut through a rear leg at the joint. I twisted the leg and when the knife hit bone the blade snapped!

I would likely recommend a different blade than the pointed 1 for skinning or your taxidermist may be upset with how many holes are in the cape. I was in a hurry and likely would have gotten used to it if I used it much.

I would also recommend bringing several blades because they are very thin and snap super easy. They are by far the sharpest knife I have ever used and are more like a scalpel. If you dull one, just put in a new blade! I would also bring along a tube of superglue in case you cut yourself and need to superglue yourself back together.,THEY ARE THAT SHARP!

I actually found a knife I really like in Alaska that has a similar thin blade with a rounded point but tends to bend rather than being so stiff and brittle. I really like this other one better for skinning and it is super easy to sharpen. I bought several of them for around $10 each. They are thicker blades than the havelons and I have yet to break a blade.

In regard to boning....the blades I've seen on the Havelons are too short. Obviously they work but aren't the best. I usually like a long blade for cutting thick pieces of meat rather than hacking away at large, thick pieces with a short blade. It's hard to beat a thin bladed fishing fillet knife for boning out game. They are easy to sharpen and have a long blade for thick slices of meat. I usually don't pack a fillet knife into the backcountry but when I cut up meat close to the truck or at home they work great. If I have to head back to the truck and need to make a 2nd load I will often bring along a fillet knife to speed things up and make things a little easier.

At only 2oz this is an excellent second knife. I use this for cutting through all of the hide, and again on the most fatty parts as these are the two things that most easily dulls the blade. These are also very good for caping. Otherwise use a good skinning knife that is a little bit longer to make everything go quicker, as the Havalon blades are a little slower to use because 1) being so sharp you need to pay very close attention when wacking away and 2) the blades are just short. I have a few other knives I like that all have a slightly curved blade about 4-5" long.

I hear of people that said they could do multiple elk with one knife without sharpening. I can't possibly imagine this with all that LONG hair and fat. With non-Havalon knives I usually run my Jetboil to have hot water for the fat and then sharpen at least 3 times per elk. With the Havalon, I use about two of the blunt tipped blades plus one other knife for the fatty parts of skinning on the back and for deboning or cutting leg quarters off the carcas for horse packing.

Let me add my two cents...

I definitely carry another knife for standard knife chores, but almost exclusively use the Havalon for all skinning, gutting, and caping. The Orange Piranta Zytel is my choice. I like both the sharp tip blade and the blunt tip blade for different reasons.

The sharp tip has a longer cutting surface, which I find works better for skinning. It is way more flimsy, though, and I have broken a ton of blades. I have learned now to let the blade do the work...

The blunk tip is stronger, but due to the angle, it is harder to utilize the entire blade. Therefore, it seems to dull quicker than the sharp blade.

I carry extra blades of each in the holster you can get for it.

At the Outdoorsmans, you can choose the knife you want (that comes with 12 extra blades), and then order more blades in packs of 12 or 100. I suggest getting the knife with 12 sharp tip blades, and then order an extra pack of 12 blunt tip blades. Be sure to get the holster, too. It is very handy to keep the knife and extra blades all together.

-----
Trent Swanson
Western Hunter Magazine
www.westernhuntermagazine.net
Outdoorsmans
www.outdoorsmans.com
Wilderness Athlete
www.wildernessathlete.com

Just did an antelope w/my havelin and broke another blade in the caping process. They are SUPER fragile and snap VERY easy so be careful and watch your fingers! I ended up scrapping my Havelin and grabbing a different knife because I get so tired of snapping blades!

Field butchered 4 elk that our party laid down on one hill side. Unfortunatly, I was left to do the quartering while my brother and nephew went for the pack animals. I did all 4 with a havalon. I broke blades on each elk, mostly doing bone work, but you can have a new blade on in seconds and your back to work. I also find my self carring a filet knife more often for boning chores. I love these little havalons! I reccomend the orange handled one so you don't lose it.

Just to let you guys know, I purchased the orange handled Piranta knife from www.ridgelineoutdoors.com, (Travis) he was great to deal with and had the lowest price I could find. I am very happy with the knife and the service. Thank you guys, for all your input. Smitty

I've only used mine on an antelope and a deer so far.
Broke one blade on the deer cutting the hide on the neck.
I take a few extra blades, 60, 22 and 22XT and put it with the knife and then give it all a few wraps of duct tape. Keeps everything together and some extra tape can come in handy around camp or if you cut yourself.

Nothing beats a 4.5 inch fillet knife for boning or cutting up meat. I carry two knives, a small fillet knife and a leatherman wave. I use the leatherman to gut and cut any skin. The fillet knife is used for skinning and boning meat.

I just used the Havalon Piranta to bone out a deer and I thought it worked perfect. I did not break any blades. I did find it helpful to have a stiffer knife available. I am very happy with the knife....just my 2 cents!

>I just used the Havalon Piranta
>to bone out a deer
>and I thought it worked
>perfect. I did not
>break any blades. I
>did find it helpful to
>have a stiffer knife available.
> I am very happy
>with the knife....just my 2
>cents!

So what did you end up killing this last week? Saw your other buck, great buck BTW.

Travis
www.RidgelineOutdoors.com
Blacks-Creek Pack Dealer
Havalon Knife Dealer

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom