Henry Mountains Bison Tag!

S

seth_osu

I drew a late season Hunters Choice Bison tag for the Henry's. This will be a bowhunt only. Anyone bowhunted for buffalo there or know someone who has? All tips and advice much appreciated.

are you going to do it archery, or is it an archery only tag? (didn't know there was such a thing.)any way sent you a pm.

I had a friend that tried the same thing. He came home empty and frustrated. You seen the terrain they live in down there? Best of luck to you, should provide plenty of challenge.

Dax

seth_osu,

I hope you get one with your bow. Having said this, I would take a rifle just in case. I hunted there on the early hunt last fall. I could of got a shot, one time at a bull (with a bow). However, they start to scatter once the lead starts to fly; especially on the late hunt.

I would hate to see you lose out on the opportunity to take a once in a lifetime trophy. That is rough, cold miserable country at times. Take the rifle, you will be glad you did.

My friend had the tag in 2007. He had a cow tag and they were really scattered, in small groups, and in rugged terrain. He said that he didn't see many animals, and the ones he found were in some really nasty country. Looking back he is disappointed, especially knowing that he will never be able to hunt bison in Utah again. If you are a dyed in the wool bowhunter go for it, but I might second the bring your rifle just in case comment. Best of luck whatever you do.

By the way, how do you know you drew already? Expo tag? Or just feeling lucky?

Dax

i wouldnt dink around with a bow too long, and you would be crazy not to bring a rifle, unless using a OIL tag for butt wipe doesnt bother you!

Never hunted down there, but have heard plenty of frustrated rifle hunters on this forum. The late hunt seems to be really tough. Can't imagine just taken a bow, but if you will have no regrets not getting a buff then go for it.

I would give it a go with the bow for a few days, then get it done with the rifle if the opportunity hasn't presented itself with the bow. You can always go kill a buff with on a bow on a ranch or Indian res, but this may be the only chance to kill a free ranging buff you get in your life. All up to you though, best of luck to you.

Dax

Also, I found the email my friend sent me regarding his buff hunt, have a read

"The buffalo hunt was kind of a joke this year. I was extremely close to turning in my tag a couple days before the hunt. They gave out a ton of tags, so the hunt was'nt very much fun. I could've shot buffalo on two different occasions. The second day I started hiking after a herd of 8, and after about 1 1/2 hours we were about half way there. At that point I knew I could've went up and shot one, but I probably never would have got it all out so I decided not to do it. Pretty much the same thing happened on the fourth day. I started looking around at some easier country and there were people everywhere. I got a little disgusted in the whole thing. I left knowing that I could've shot one and didn't go back because 20 more people were going to be starting their hunt. All of the buffalo had been hunted for 2 months before I even got a chance. It's not the kind of conditions you want for a once-in-a-lifetime tag."

LAST EDITED ON Feb-27-09 AT 11:54AM (MST)[p]My uncle killed a dandy a few years back with his bow, I can't remember what year. I will call him and see if he will email you. Congrats on the tag. Chad

I hunted buffalo in 2007. My uncle and I both had hunters choice tags. We got my uncle's a buffalo on the 5th day and mine on the 6th day. I took my bow and rifle. I ended up sneaking through the cedars and got within 40 yards but dropped it with the rifle. After 6 days of hunting and not very many buffalo I did not want to take a chance. It is possible to get one with a bow but I would plan on taking the whole hunt and a rifle for backup. There is some nasty country and a wounded buffalo can travel in some bad stuff. I have hunted the Henry's numerous times with people with tags so if you need any direction let me know.

I love the way this thread is going! Thanks fellas. I did draw this tag at the hunt expo for those of you who were wondering. I think they saw my apartment address and thought it would be funny for me to try to stuff a Buff in my 750 sq ft apt. Ha Ha! For me it is bow or nothing. No offense to the rifle hunters. Just my only chance to take a take a true fair-chase Buff with my bow. I'm planning on heading to the Henry's in the next month or two just to get a feel for the area and maybe catch some buffalo down low in their late season ground. I saw they gave out over 160 tags last year and the pop. is currently around 500 animals. With the transplants to the BC I hope the tag #'s will be down this year. Don't have a clue where to start but if you guys could drop me some PM's i'd appreciate it.
HAPPY HUNTING!

There is a story in the new Eastmans' Bowhunting Journal about a guy that drew the Utah Sportsman buffalo tag and killed a nice buffalo with his bow on the Henrys.

Congrats on the tag and good luck on your hunt!

Horniac

I admire your resolve sticking with the bow. I primarly bow hunt and know a lot of purist bowhunters. They would rather go home empty than kill one with a gun. I'm not there personally but totally respect someone that is.

Stick with it osu - it's your hunt do it on your terms! There is nothing more impressive than killing a tough animal in a tough situation with a bow. With that said, if you hunt hard, give it your all and still come home with your tag intact there is no shame in that because that is the nature of the commitment to bow only. I have hunted with my bow excusively for six (6) years and have more unfilled tags than filled, but I wouldn't trade my experiences on any of those hunts for anything. For me it is all about the challenge, and with that challenge certainly comes failure, but when there is success there is nothing sweeter. Good luck with your hunt and relish your time during the pursuit knowing not many get the opportunity to do what your doing!

Read the Eastman's article. I certainly won't have the whole mountain to myself as in the story but will give it my all anyways. Great article though.

That will be a tough undertaking, especially if it is a later hunt, but it can be done. There are a few areas where you can always locate the animals and if you become familiar with these areas, and spend the time in them, I think you can get the opportunity.
I planned on trying my buff with a bow when I drew my tag, but then blew out my back and had surgery right before my hunt. After I killed my animal with a rifle, I was wishing I had taken my bow because I caught a herd up in a box canyon and they would have had to walk within 15 of me to get out of the canyon to water. Of course that was hindsight, but that particular instance would have been fairly easy.. You never know...good luck with your hunt!

I didnt know the drawing results were out. Congrats...How did you find out you drew already?

I drew that tag last year and yes there were people everywhere. It is a hard hunt I shoot mine the first day. On top of mount Ellen above the tree line it took us three hours to hike to them and they were still 300 yards away when I shoot. I didn't see many animals down there so I went after the first ones I saw. there were 22 in the herd I got the biggest one in the herd. Good luck on your hunt hope to see you down there my brother is one under max on points so we could be hunting to. If I knew how to post a pic on here I would. I could e-mail you one if you would like me to

I will be going with a friend again this year. Been on 6 different hunts. Seen one shot with a bow it went 7 miles and 7 arrows in the chest. The last hunt can be tough weather pending they close a lot of the roads late or they did in the past. My son drew the last hunt we hunted 11 days before we seen any buff. Snow 3 ' up top and a foot in the valleys. Just be prepared! Can be a walk in the park or your guess. In any event will be a hunt of a lifetime. Rutnbuck

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom