Henry's Mtn Bison Tag

Murdoc34

Well, I'm off to a good start this year. I drew the Henry's Cow Bison tag. My dates are Dec 15-22. I've been doing as much research as possible and even seen a few Henry Bison videos on you tube. From what I've read, seems like a very tough hunt, for some, maybe even a bit of a negative experience. I want to make the most out of this OIL tag. I'm open to any advice or suggestions that anyone has.

I'm planning on spending as much time as possible in the area before hand, but also recognize with it being the last season, any pre season scouting is probably going to be out the window.

Here's a few questions I do have though:

1) How hard is it to determine sex?
2) Is there typically snow during the month of December?
3) Do these animals typically winter at low elevations?
4) Are there any migratory patterns that anyone knows of?
5) At this time of year, do the bulls and cows stick together or do they break off?
6) Are the calves typically weaned from the cows in December?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to educate myself as much as possible. Thanks in advance for any advice.

My wife had this tag last year. Do a search and you will find my report. This can be a very tough hunt. We were extremely fortunate. You should expect snow - last year there was significant snow, making much of the unit off limits without snow machines. The calves will still be withthe cows. Determining sex isn't too difficult with a clear view, but you will arely get a clear view for very long. Young bulls are definitley with the herds. Old bulls maybe yes, maybe no. They winter only as low as they need to. They have been hunted all fall, and aren't down next to the roads just because it is December. They understand hunting pressure.

Good luck. Learn the roads, plan to hunt hard, and adapt to the conditions.

Bill

Thanks for the reply. Seems like you guys lucked out. Hopefully I'll have similar luck. Either way, it's going to be a great hunt.

Brady

Hi Brady
Nice talking to you last night. Guess what the bison hunt has been called off as of today!! Turns out all the bison have Rigamortas!!

Rutnbuck

I drew the early cow tag(first of Oct.) I've never been on the Henrys and can't wait to do some scouting. Hope to see some big bucks too. I hope it's as hard as they say it is. I'm up for a good challenge.

Peak,

I had the same tag and season as you, last year!!
I am jealous, that is one AMAZING hunt.

It was better than my LE Utah elk hunt!

Wood,

Cool! I hope it is as fun as I think it It's going to be. Can't wait to see what the 338RUM can do. Great time of year too. I figured a buff is a buff. I just want to hunt. Thanks for the post.

Thanks for the call Rutnbuck. I'm interested in talking with you more.

Congrats on the tag Peakfreak, I can't wait for the hunt. This was my first year putting in for bison and I luckily drew. I've never been on the Henry's either, but from the sounds of it, its an incredible place. I'd like to talk to you after your hunt and see how it went. From what I read, the last hunt sounds extremely difficult. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Brady

Hey Woody. Guess I will be going down for a Either Sex hunt this year Rimrock drew the early tag. So if your ever down Ogden shoot me a call I will intercept ya so I can grab them maps.
I am thinking there is a lot of tags this year I hear they want to reduce the heard.
Can't wait to get on the Henerys again. Yee Ha.
Rut

Rut,

I am sorry, totally my fault. I appreciate you reminding me. Will you PM your address and I will mail them to you. Thanks

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom