High Country Mountain Range

katorade

I've been working up the idea of starting to put in for a High Country above 10,000ft Archery hunt. I've been looking at mountain ranges but always seem to find a road leading to the top or most the way. What's a mtn. range in Colorado that I will be able to get 2 to 8 miles away fromt the nearest road.

Thanks

Deer?

Sangre de Cristo, Holy cross wilderness, maroon bells wilderness,

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Same as above....and Eagles Nest unit 36

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I am doing the same...if you don't mind which one historically has the best genetic? Not asking for honey holes just helpful info.Thanks

LAST EDITED ON Nov-21-11 AT 05:53AM (MST)[p]They all have the potential of producing 190 class deer. The central mountains of Colorado were hit by some bad weather several years ago that knocked the numbers down considerably in Holy Cross and Eagles Nest. There are never big numbers of bucks on timberline hunts anywhere. Out of 10 basins you explore, you may only find bucks in 2-3. Lots of shoe leather and glassing.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

When we hunted we found that the high country only holds bucks in a few basins but when you find a bachelor herd then you are set. However....the hiking that you will need to do to get to the animals is absolutely off the charts. It will take everything you have...and more to get to the bucks...and then you will wonder if you want to go back ever again.....and then you will :)

But, our hunting party has started to hunt other hunts because the deer numbers are down so far that you will swear they are extinct...it is that bad.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

When I would take August - September fishing trips to Crestone Lakes, we would always see good bucks.

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom