High Demand Tag and Drawing Perseverance

wymoosehunter

LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-12 AT 11:45AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-12 AT 11:41?AM (MST)

Drawing a great tag comes with a lot of luck, but it also necessitates a plan, and perseverance. I read and commented on this topic in the past on MM, but thought it would be good for others to post their thoughts and strategies for drawing so that those who are just getting started don't quit applying out of frustration.
High demand tags are very limited, just the nature of the beast. The fairest way for all to have a shot at getting one of these tags is by drawing. The best draw method can be debated all day long, but at least there is a mechanism that gives everyone a shot at a tag as long as they play the game. The alternative would be a strictly market-based system-the guy with the most money, who wants the tag the most, shells out the highest bid for the tag and it is his/hers. For a public resource, this is not really an option.
So we are left with drawings in all states. If you have sheep, goat, moose, giant bull, giant buck, oryx, ibex, or whatever fever,individually or all the strains of this disease, you have to apply and to do so you have to have a plan. The plan includes what you want to apply for, how you are going to pay for your affliction, and strategies to maximize your odds of obtaining your goal(s).
I have been hunting for 34 years, grew up in Montana and applied for sheep, goat, moose, and cow elk there every year until I had to move. Literally bounced all over the world, lived on the east and west coast, but never gave up on hunting the west and applying. Then I said screw it, and moved back to the west. I say this because that was part of my hunting plan. You have to have a plan.
Everyone has a life that is unique to them, but if you want a great tag, you have to make sacrifices and persevere.

Cut to the chase, state(s), time frame of applying, success:

State; Yrs Applied; Species; Drew
MT; Since 1977; Moose, Goat, Sheep; Moose 2006
ID; Since 1996; Sheep; Never
UT; Since 2002; Sheep; Never
AZ; Since 1998; Sheep; Never
CA; 1996-1998; Tule elk, sheep; Never
CO; Since 1996; Sheep, Goat, Moose; Goat 2005
NM; Since 2001; Sheep, Oryx, Ibex; Oryx 2009
WY; Since 2001; Sheep, Goat, Moose; Never
OR; 2003-2006; Sheep; Sheep 2006
WA; Raffle Only; Sheep, Moose, Goat; Never
NV; Since 2002; All; Never
AK; 85-89/02-08; Dall; Tok Tag 2008

I did the math, and that is 131 years of applications, I have drawn 5 high demand tags, resulting in 1 tag for every 26 years of applying. Not great odds, but I feel that I have been blessed. It costs me about $2500 to apply every year and to buy several raffle tags. That is the cost of my affliction and I make sure that I can afford it by having a side business that the profits are dedicated solely to hunting.

Thankfully, I made the sacrifice and moved back to a state (Wyoming) with general elk tags, because in my whole life, hunting every year except 3 (living over-seas-that includes SoCal), I have drawn exactly 3 elk tags (none in the last 15 years), drawn 2 good deer tags (only shot two deer since 1992), drew 2 good antelope tags.
But I get to hunt every year for elk (general) and I get to hunt with my wife and son for either general/low demand draw deer, elk, and antelope.
Life is good, apply.
Good luck in the draws,
WyMo

I agree, a plan is in order. Esp if you want to hunt. Weather its a small plan or a large scale plan. Depends on the person and there personal goals. As many others on a site like this hunting is one of my mine prioritys in life. I moved to Montana years ago for many a reason but a big factor I could hunt every year for deer and elk with liberal hunting season. I put in for countless applications across the west in hopes of drawing a good tag, and do here and there. Weather I draw or not alteast Ive get to hunt Montana every year. Ive built up over the years my "hunting fund". It took a while to build up where I can apply all over but I saw it nessisary in my mind in order to keep in the game. I only use it for hunting purposes such as draws. As some others that pry have done so, I even made a trip to AZ this year to complete the AZ hunter safety to help with my plan adding a bonus point to my name for years to come.
Good luck everyone on the draws.

My plan centers around elk mainly but deer and antelope because most of the cost, in most states, is the license. Sheep in Oregon, NV and WY because the cost is reasonable after buying the license in the first 2. Moose in WY and UT, same reason.

But for me I identify trophy hunts and fun hunts because I like to hunt every year.

Colorado elk is usually an every other year thing. I hunt a unit I can draw with 1 PP. Just get a tag, kill a bull and eat elk that summer. Colorado deer I build PPs until I can draw what I feel is a good chance at a once in a lifetime buck. To me, mule deer doesn't excite me as much as elk, so i'm good with doing it less often.

Wyoming: Elk, I drew this year with max PPs. Going to try to do my best to take my best bull ever. Everything else gets PP'd this year except WY deer/antelope. My WY deer and antelope plan is a fun, family combo, meat type hunt every 2-4 years. Since I have a gap between archery elk and rifle elk, I'm glad we have the PPs to draw and hunt.

Nevada: I know Nevada pretty well since I spend lots of time there. I stay far away from the Hntin Fool/Eastman's picks to improve draw odds and apply for everything. Except for some average mule deer hunts, everything Nevada offers is quality. I never can plan on Nevada because of their draw system, so a Nevada tag is a surprise. But I apply for everything I'm eligible to apply for. This is probably where my sheep tag will come from since I don't have to hunt the top units and apply mostly on draw odds.

Utah: For me, Utah is all about elk, and hopefully a moose tag for the wife some day. BUT with the change in NR rules, I feel I have to apply for everything because the cost is minimal.

Oregon: I don't even like discussing this state since their hunts are mainly mediocre and their price increases. BUT I'm in with 34 PPs and so is my wife and son. But I aply for everything.

Idaho/New Mexico: With no PPs they only get my money when I don't see a guarantee in another state. Nothing against either state. I'll just say Wyoming started getting my money EVERY year once they went to a NR PP system

California: With great antelope and elk, I apply everyone, every year. But it hasn't happened yet.

I would recommend to someone just starting out to have a plan which states/species you want to trophy hunt in. And just stay the course for 10-20 years. BUT in the meantime, find some hunts you can do regularly and do those. IMO a tag I can draw every 2-4 years is regular. You can plan those and become very effective by hunting them regularly.

Thats a great point. Trophy hunt vers a fun hunt. Theres some draws I put in for that I realize I may never draw but want to get a chance to hunt a great unit. Other draws I put in for where I have a good chance at drawing to fill my fix for hunting, even if its a medicore area. Some of those hunts are the most fun, less pressure on a person to find a quality animal so they can go out an enjoy the hunt to the fullest. Kinda off topic since the author talking about hig demand tags, but I also believe in getting out and hunting. Be profiecent and the art of hunting the selected game and when you do draw a quality tag you have lots of hunting knowledge built up from lots of previous expierience to better your odds during the quality hunt. All part of the plan.

Archery tackle will cut your success rate by 1/2 to 2/3, but your drawing odds across the west will double or triple.

That is one way to get afield more. Lots of people are onto this and the population of bowhunters has really exploded in the last 10-15 years. I'm one of them though, so I can't complain too loudly.

I'm relatively new to the drawing process. Elk is my priority and deer and antelope are close 2nd,3rd.

I'm not looking for trophy units, just to be hunting out of state for the experience. So I'm targeting mid-teer units that require 4-10PP.

This year I should draw my Antelope tag for WY. I'll be able to hunt a few states within the next couple of seasons. I primarily bow hunt, but will gladely take my rifle if I can draw a tag.

"Quitting is not an option!"

I make sure that elk are always in the mix and since I am blessed to live in a state with general elk tags, I know that no matter what, I will be hunting every year. I used to focus on just me, and now with my son being hunting age (state imposed, he was ready three years ago), I focus on him and my wife having fun hunts, commensurate with their skills/abilities. We hunt deer, antelope, and put in for good, but not exceptionally hard units to draw and we get to hunt antelope almost every year, deer in decent units about every three years (and general for my son every year. This year we all had a great year in the draws, and I did not even buy an elk tag so that we could concentrate on the wife and kid.
However, that doesn't stop me from applying for trophy units/tags. I do mix best odds/best quality into the equation. I am not willing to lay out my whole plan, but I created a matrix that has allowed me to generally predict that I will draw a trophy tag about every 4 years. I don't always know what it will be, but it seems to be working. If you have to limit your applications because of budget, I recommend the following as must apply for states. Apply in as many as possible, in the order listed (best odds). Then I have the maybe states, where I apply if funding allows. Then there are the the wow, I just found a few bucks and can apply in a mediocre state, and lastly, the no friggin way state(s).

Must apply for:
Montana-least expensive, decent odds (generally 1%, but be optimistic)
Colorado-expensive, but you should draw in your lifetime-hopefully they will move into the 21st century and do trophy applications via internet.
New Mexico-does not include deer, antelope, and elk-the new law killed any chance of that.
Wyoming-expensive points and the wolves have decimated herds, especially moose, but good chance of drawing.
Idaho-straight odds, sort of, best odds of them all, but you buy a license just to apply.
Nevada-buy a license to apply, but the fairest ponszi scheme as it pertains to preference points.

Maybe states:
Oregon-have to buy a license to apply and really only worth applying if you want a sheep. Straight draw odds.
Arizona-don't let anyone fool you, the odds suck, you have to buy a license to apply, and you will never draw a 12 deer tag unless you are already max points-hate their preference system. I want a desert BH, or I would not apply in AZ. Once you spend the bucks, you might as well build points for other species if you think you may want to hunt them in the future.

Only if you have left over application money:
Utah-they screwed NR's with changing the game in the middle with you can now apply for all-all that means is they will suck your money out of your wallet. This is the worst state for cost, odds, and trophy quality. They do have good elk and deer units, but I am focusing on sheep, moose, goats. I do apply in Utah for sheep, goat, deer and elk, but I know that I will probably never draw.

No way in hell states:
Washington-really no chance, buy WA lottery tickets and you have a better chance. Great youth program though, so I apply my son for trophy tags.
Califonia-unless you are a resident. NR's are restricted to one animal per species, per year, and their point system sucks. Bottom line, unless you are max preference (something like 20 points now), you will never draw and you will be donating more money to a welfare state.

I buy raffle tickets for various sheep tags. You never know.

Good luck in the draws.
WyMo

Wyomo, you're right about California for a non-resident. However, the only time I nearly drew a desert sheep tag, I was the #1 alternate for the Marble/Clipper Mtns. You guessed it, one of the three tag holders was a non-resident from Colorado. He was the only non-resident who could draw in California, and he got a desert sheep tag that would have gone to me otherwise. Oh well... Hope he killed a nice ram.

We pretty much covered draw strategy for states/species. I also vary my weapon choices. My 2 best tags ever were muzzy and archery respectively. Both hunts I was into quality bulls every day. Those hunts were in "08" and "09." If i had held out for rifle tags, I'd still be building PPs in both of those states. Instead, I've already drawn another archery bull tag in the "08" state, in a lesser unit.

My hunting will consist of the follwoing the next few years:

Archery elk in Colorado every other year.

Combo antelope/deer hunt in WY with family every 2-4 years.

Quality unit applications for all species in Nevada, Utah and Oregon. When one hits, the above hunts are put on hold for another year if they conflict with the unexpected draw.

Colorado mule deer every 5-7 years, whenever I catch the point creep for the unit I want.

Applying my wife for everything in Utah, Nevada and Oregon and buying her Wyoming moose, elk deer and antelope PPs every year should result in a couple of quality hunts in the next 10 years also.

Good luck everyone in this year's ponzie scheme.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom