High Elevation Deer hunts?

southslope82

I am a non resident to colorado with a few deer points. I am just extending my research to find what units are High Country Style hunts . I am looking into like a Early Season Muzz hunt or rifle hunt. I would like something above timber line and even around 11000,-12000 ft.- If ya know what I am talking about! I am in great shape I do alot of hiking/back packing I also have horses. What units would you recommend I look into? I am not looking to draw this year even I would be fine waiting a few more years. - I have just read way to many awesome high country deer hunts in magazine subscriptions. Its gave me the itch and I have decided thats how I want to spend my Colorado points. thanks

The Buffalo Peaks near South Park (I believe south of Fairplay) used to produce big bucks back in the 1980's.

There's no prettier place to hunt than the high alpine country in Colo. These are considered "quality" hunts due to low deer tags issued. Unfortunately if you are hunting any OTC elk unit in Colo this means there will likely be a lot of hikers, grouse hunters, and unlimited number of elk hunters. You may want to check and see what other seasons overlap!

You will likely need to cover lots and lots of country to find the few pockets of deer that exist above treeline. We all know how difficult it can be to hike and breathe at 9,000 to 14,000' elevation so you better be in the best shape of your life...and also be equipped to handle the elements! There are some great bucks available, you just have to cover lots of country and find the few that are there.

From what I have found so far is that the majority of these High Alpine type hunts are pretty easy to draw infact some of them look like they could very well be a year after year thing. Would you consider any of these units trophy areas?
What would be your top 5 high elevation/ above timber line type units? Sorry I make it sound like I want a freebee I just don't want to beat around the bush. thanks

Just look in the application booklet for the units that offer September wilderness or above timberline rifle deer hunts. Those are the units that have high elevation deer hunting opportunities. The draw odds for those early hunts will tell you which ones people presume to be the best.

I think just about any area (any unit for that matter) above timberline will have nice animals. Some just have more than others and/or less hunters. Anytime you are in rough country like that you have a chance to find isolated pockets with decent bucks/bulls. I would find one wilderness area and just focus on it from now until your hunt. If you can't scout then get your topos out and match them to Google Earth. Good luck! Those are the best hunts for sure!

Some of the better early rifle hunts take 5,6,7 years to draw (right now). Many of these same areas can be drawn with a muzzy or a bow almost every year. These areas aren't likely considered trophy areas per se, but many of these units can produce some great 180-190+ bucks. I'd suggest you do some research on COs website (harvest data, etc.), get on Google Earth and come back with some specific questions about certain areas and more people will likely help you out. Good luck.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom