Hole in the horn

Forester

Saw the buck with the hole in the horn posted by Uttaxi1 in Wall Candy and it made me think of this picture. I’ve seen a few other old racks with the same shot but never pulled it off personally. You would think that the antler would just explode rather than push a hole clear through but it looks pretty damn cool. Anybody else have any pictures or stories of this happening?
IMG_9313.jpeg

IMG_9315.jpeg

I Don't Have A Pic But Me & My Brother Were Shooting At A Buck From Different Locations & One Of Us Hit Him In The Scull Plate that Made For A Nice Adjustable Spread!:D

2008 I sent a arrow into a velvet bucks horns arrow broke into 3 pieces as it rattle through the forks ( guess where I was looking when I released?) Luckily got another chance and killed him the 2nd day haha. Can see the cut line from the broadhead in the velvet on the mount.

A few years back I had a sheep running away from me after my first shot. A follow up shot probably wasn’t necessary. He was running straight away and I put it on the back of his head. Well he turned to look back and well, the bullet is still in the horn. 7mm 180 grain

IMG_0868.jpeg

About 7 years ago I took a whitetail hunter moose hunting. Called this bull into about 15 yard and he shot the tip off the one side. You can see the damaged point on the bulls left antler. Luckily I was able to put it down. Would have been pretty upsetting to see that bull get away.

IMG_1659.jpeg

Mule deer are for sure more prone for their antler being shot off. That or breaking off on a big fall.

A few years back I had a sheep running away from me after my first shot. A follow up shot probably wasn’t necessary. He was running straight away and I put it on the back of his head. Well he turned to look back and well, the bullet is still in the horn. 7mm 180 grain

View attachment 138699

About 7 years ago I took a whitetail hunter moose hunting. Called this bull into about 15 yard and he shot the tip off the one side. You can see the damaged point on the bulls left antler. Luckily I was able to put it down. Would have been pretty upsetting to see that bull get away.

View attachment 138700

Mule deer are for sure more prone for their antler being shot off. That or breaking off on a big fall.
Great stories and memories. Your buddy looks to be fairly out of shape in that picture, lucky for him you were able to stop that bull or he might have been going for a rodeo ride!

2008 I sent an arrow into a velvet bucks horns arrow broke into 3 pieces as it rattle through the forks ( guess where I was looking when I released?) Luckily got another chance and killed him the 2nd day haha. Can see the cut line from the broadhead in the velvet on the mount.
Where are the pictures of the mount?

This from years ago & not "hole in horn", but I'm on the left, my Dad with his buck in the middle. The day before, I shot the tip of the buck's antler off. Amazingly, I found the tip while looking for blood sign, and kept the piece I'd found- fit the antler upon examination, minus a few chips! :eek: ;)

thirtytwo.jpg

You haven’t lived til you shot a buck in the horn.
I agree! I think most of us have had this happen to us at some point in our many years of hunting. Back in 2015 I hit this buck on the first shot. I followed up with a second shot as he was running off and shot one of the tines off. (Those muleys bounce a lot when running over sage and rough terrain!!)

1709560078000.png

My dad hit a buck in the main beam near the brow tine with his 30-30 many years ago. A big bullet hole and took out about half the main beam but never broke the antler off. I will have to find the rack and get a picture of it.

I was visiting the taxidermist one day when a guy brought in this buck to be mounted. He swore he didn't do the shooting at the antlers. Whoever did must have been a good shot.

img183.jpg
img184.jpg

Found a bull with a bullet hole through it. Was definitely a small caliber like a 22-250 that whizzed through it.

2nd one is right at the base of the elk antler. Seems like the bullet barely scraped the base and shattered put some bone on the other side. Not sure what else could cause a groove like that.

Screenshot_20240304_184244_Gallery.jpg
20240304_184407.jpg

View attachment 138699

View attachment 138700

That's cool to see the bullet still in the horn of the sheep!

Can't see it in the pic but one of the bases of this stud blacktail he killed a couple years ago has a hole from during velvet that looks like a .17 hmr.
Screenshot_20240305_082807_Photos~2.jpg

I shot this bull on the Fishlake a couple years ago. 28 Nosler at 150 Yards. I put 3 in the boiler room and he was still standing. As I pulled the trigger on shot 4, he dropped this head and this happened. Clean through. Still cant believe it didn't break. It was a bad first impression with the Nosler to be honest.

ELK 2.jpg

ELK 1.jpg

You guys live in bama?
Not sure if you're speaking to the .17hmr bullet hole or the camo wifebeater...

September in B zones makes clothing choices interesting. Dress for poison oak coverage below the armpits and anything goes to stay cool on a long hot walk above the armpits.

As for the .17hmr. It seems to be the bow of choice to a lot of backwoods b zone residents...

Yup, happened in 75 or so. My buddy and I were sneaking up on some late season bucks. His only shot was a head shot with a .30/30.

Boom, down went the buck. He went to cut the bucks throat and I was in the middle of saying 'you ought to poke his eye....(with a stick) '. Only the buck was just KO'd, not dead.

The buck jumped up and ran off. I'm guessing that antler whack was just enough to put him out for a short time.

Back when the Henry Mtns was still a general hunt I was there with a friend of mine. I saw a decent 3x3 moving toward a little saddle, so I ran ahead for a better look. I shot him on the run at about 100 yards, hitting him a little far back. My buddy had caught up to me and said, "I'll help you out." He proceeded to shoot one of the antlers off. I was preparing for my next shot and noticed the missing antler, so I hesitated to shoot again. The buck was feeling sick due to my first shot and had stopped. My buddy then sent another round through both front shoulders, putting him down. We had a discussion about who should tag it. I told him I was shooting at a buck with a lot of good meat and a nice set of antlers. After his help it no longer had nice antlers and a fair amount less meat. Well he absolutely refused to tag it. He said it was my buck and he was only "helping" me shoot it. After this experience and a few other very dissatisfying small game hunts with this guy I quit hunting with him altogether. Should have learned my lesson on that day!

Not sure if you're speaking to the .17hmr bullet hole or the camo wifebeater...

September in B zones makes clothing choices interesting. Dress for poison oak coverage below the armpits and anything goes to stay cool on a long hot walk above the armpits.

As for the .17hmr. It seems to be the bow of choice to a lot of backwoods b zone residents...
#wifebeatersarecool

I shot this bull on the Fishlake a couple years ago. 28 Nosler at 150 Yards. I put 3 in the boiler room and he was still standing. As I pulled the trigger on shot 4, he dropped this head and this happened. Clean through. Still cant believe it didn't break. It was a bad first impression with the Nosler to be honest.

View attachment 138874

View attachment 138875
Nice bull!!!
At only150 yards I can't believe that bullet didn't go completely through the antler.

Found a bull with a bullet hole through it. Was definitely a small caliber like a 22-250 that whizzed through it.

2nd one is right at the base of the elk antler. Seems like the bullet barely scraped the base and shattered put some bone on the other side. Not sure what else could cause a groove like that.

View attachment 138809View attachment 138810
You be surprised how small a hole a .270 etc looks like in an antler. Almost always look like .22 cal.

I didn’t know you were a shed hunter. Let’s see your HUSH hat.

You be surprised how small a hole a .270 etc looks like in an antler. Almost always look like .22 cal.

I didn’t know you were a shed hunter. Let’s see your HUSH hat.

Lol. No hush hat. I shed hunt more than anything else. I just dont post pics anymore of shed hunting.

Nice bull!!!
At only150 yards I can't believe that bullet didn't go completely through the antler.
Thanks! I think it is an illusion. It went clean through. It looks in the photo that it is lodged in there, but its just something in the background.

Saw the buck with the hole in the horn posted by Uttaxi1 in Wall Candy and it made me think of this picture. I’ve seen a few other old racks with the same shot but never pulled it off personally. You would think that the antler would just explode rather than push a hole clear through but it looks pretty damn cool. Anybody else have any pictures or stories of this happening? View attachment 138687

View attachment 138688

Saw the buck with the hole in the horn posted by Uttaxi1 in Wall Candy and it made me think of this picture. I’ve seen a few other old racks with the same shot but never pulled it off personally. You would think that the antler would just explode rather than push a hole clear through but it looks pretty damn cool. Anybody else have any pictures or stories of this happening? View attachment 138687

View attachment 138688

Yup, happened in 75 or so. My buddy and I were sneaking up on some late season bucks. His only shot was a head shot with a .30/30.

Boom, down went the buck. He went to cut the bucks throat and I was in the middle of saying 'you ought to poke his eye....(with a stick) '. Only the buck was just KO'd, not dead.

The buck jumped up and ran off. I'm guessing that antler whack was just enough to put him out for a short time.
I once shot a bedded buck from about 40 yds right in the forehead, he never got out of his bed, I walked up and was getting my knife and tag out but that thing would not stop kicking, after about 5 minutes I realized he was still breathing, then I noticed the bullet had just cut a notch in the hide on top of his skull. I put a finisher on him then, but that was the day I learned a .300 wsm bullet can glance off a mule deers forehead

View attachment 138688
My dad had a book by Jim Bond what is the greatest trophy something like that

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom