horseback hunt vs. backpack hunt? differences?

flyingbrass

What should you take or not take on a horseback hunt vs. backpack hunt?
Do you really need boots that are as stiff for a horseback hunt as a backpack hunt?
What else?
flyingbrass
cold dead hands
NRA Life Member

Horses are like trucks they only take you so far and then it up to your feet to do the rest. So yes I wear the same boots riding as I do hiking in to a hunting spot.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Make sure you hunting boots fit your stirrups. I use oversize blaze orange stirrups that fit my hunting boots better. Easy to change out stirrups.

Phantom Hunter

Phantom has an important point. If you need to kick out of your stirrups when the wreck starts then you want to get your feet out.

Just my opinion and just my experience, but when horseback hunting, take one extra cartridge.

Eel

That bullet is for you after the horse almost kills ya. LOL

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

I use horses year round and hunt with them a bunch too. When hunting I wear hiking/hunting boots. My stirrups are smooth wood on the inside and they are wide. I have some Lowa tibets which are great boots but they make my ankles hurt while riding because of the stiffness and the angle at which my foot is at while riding. You may need to loosen your laces a bunch, while riding, if you use a similar agressive mtn boot.

Useing a horse is so nice to get to the top. After that. It's like haveing your kid with you.

Noisy.
Haft to feed them.
And just one more thing to worry about.

But to get you where you want to go. +100,000,000

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

The key to hunting successfully with horses is to make sure you bring along a partner that just loves looking after the horses. That way you can leave him back at camp while you go hunting. ;)

Good advice on horse hunts.

Best advice is to have a wrangler, so you don't have to do ANYTHING but ride. Otherwise, Eel is right.

Mostly, horses are like women. When they are doing what you need, they are right handy, when they get contrary (and they will) .....well you know!

Horses/Mules,
The only way to go! If you aren't a horseman or don't have at least one in your party you will be better off hunting without ponies. Also, make sure you have on your person the items you will need to survive in the event you and your pony get separated or in the event of a wreck in which you get injured, e.i. water, fire kit, knife. Also do not wear anything that can hurt you when you hit the dirt, cause sooner or later you will. If you are going to wear a knife on your belt make it a folder, leave your fixed blades in your bags. Also do not wear your rifle across your back...think about it. If you are a bow hunter, insure your arrows are carried in a manner in which they can not injure you or your animal. If you are planning on using the ponies to pack out meat or gear make sure you learn how to properly use your pack equipment. Someone else can pick it up from hear cause this is just the beginning of a long list of do's and don'ts.

Norkal

INVEST IN LEAD FOR THE TIMES AHEAD!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom