hounds or not

alwayzbhuntin

Okay, my buddy that shot the lion on monday has a great idea(wink wink) he apparently now wants to see what is involved in getting into hounds to hunt with. He is hooked now, and being the friend I am, I said I would ask our panel of experts here to see really what a person would be getting into if someone wanted to start doing that, money wise, training dogs, and all the other fun stuff that goes with it. I personally have no knowledge to offer so I will defer to you hound experts and let him read the responses for himself. Thanks !!

Let's see if I can get this all down:

Beer......................$15
Started dogs...........$2,000
More beer.................$25
Tracking collars.......$1,000
More beer.................$35
Hunting truck............$300
Even more beer............$55
Shock collars............$400
Beer and whiskey..........$75
Divorce attorney.........$120/hr
Whiskey..................$135

And that just in the first week!! It starts getting expensive after that...help me out boys, what did I leave out?

Kevin,
I noticed you left out bail money. Is that something you try to factor in at the beginning or do you just play that part by ear? I would think that with the divorce lawyer on the list nobody is going to come down and get you out of the pokey, so you may just want to have a little extra cash on hand or else plan on spending the night with Houndawg in the big house.

Rut

Well Kevin,

I don't see kennels, dog shots, wormer, annual vet bills, emergency vet bills or truck boxes on your list. And if you are going with a $300 truck you better plan on a fortune in repairs, used junk tires, and gasoline. And if you are going to get a new fancy truck then you better plan on a fortune in repairs, used junk tires, and gasoline. It's rough on equipment. And don't forget the intangibles like becoming a social outcast, becoming the family member that no one talks to and someone they don't even allow up on the mule deer forum :( . And then there's all those nights spent sitting in your truck freezing your ass off waiting for lost dogs to return.

Of course you will also have a wish list a mile long that will likely never be satisfied. Four wheelers, snow mobiles, a decent truck, a wife that understands you, etc.

Tell your buddy to take the money and run like a sonuvabitch. Friends don't let friend become hound guys. :)

You forgot the thousands of pounds of dog sh$t that grows like a cancer on the floor of the kennels. I load my dogs in the box, shovel out the kennels, go huntin for the day, and when I get home the place is full of the stuff before the dogs are out of the box. I don't get it.
feed is not cheap. my bill is about 20$ a week for three or four dogs, if you feed good stuff.

alwayzbhuntin:

THESE GUY'S WILL GET IT COVERED FOR YA:

NOT ONE GUY CAN REMEMBER IT ALL BUT TAKE CLOSE NOTES,BETWEEN THEM THEY WILL GET THE IMPORTANT STUFF COVERED!!!

DON'T FORGET ABOUT ALL THOSE LOWLIFE FRIENDS YOU DON'T THINK YOU HAVE!!!THEY'RE NOT ASKING MUCH,BIG TOM'S ARE EVERYWHERE,ALL THEY'RE GONNA WANT IS ONE THAT IS IN THE 15"-16" CLASS,IT SHOULDN'T BE THAT HARD FOR A GREENHORN!!!

AS FOR DOG'S,THESE HOUND GUY'S ONLY SELL THE FINNEST YOUNG ONES,THEY TAKE NO CHANCE OF A YOUNG DOG SHOWING THE VETERANS UP!!!

ONE OTHER TIP,NO I'M NOT GONNA TRY AND GIVE EM ALL TO YA,SOME WILL COME WITH EXPERIENCE,THIS IS ONE OF THEM YOU SHOULD REMEMBER THE MOST:DON'T WORRY ABOUT YOU'RE GIRLFRIEND AND YOU'RE WIFE WHILE YOU'RE OUT ALL NIGHT TRYING TO RECOVER THEM TRASHY BA$TURDS,THESE OTHER HOUNDSMEN WILL TAKE GOOD CARE OF THE WOMEN PROBLEMS FOR YOU!!!

LET US KNOW WHEN YOU AND YOU'RE BUDDY GET STARTED AND WE'LL HELP YOU TAKE CARE OF THINGS!!!

bobcat

2 Questions for you

1. Have you seen pictures of any of these dog running scrounges?
2. Did you notice how chingered up looking they are?

They didn't look like that until after they bought dogs. Nuff said!
Bret M.

No one mentioned some of the most important items.

Frontal lobotomy-- $2500

Illegal supplier of Zoloft-- $2000

Castration to remove unnecessary equipment to alleviate the pain of riding a mule day after day after day. $3500

shrink bills--- $2000

supply of depends underpants because you can't get through the gloves, chaps, pants,and long underwear before you soil pants, or it's just to damn cold to get off and it's warm for a little while anyway. cost--$500

God help the man. Mulehound

P.S. whats his address?

Oh, And how could I forget, a copy of Ed's book "From Riches To Rags; A Houndoggers Cry For Help"........$35
A box of kleenex for the tears.....$5

LAST EDITED ON Feb-22-03 AT 10:53AM (MST)[p]Make sure he plans on a couple years of hunting before he actually catches something... kinda like me... :)

Its a heck of alot cheaper and less painful to pay a guide to get it out of your system... and if it doesnt' get it out of his system then the hounds WILL !!!

God Bless him...

Steve Lithgow
http://www.waycoolkennels.com

Jeez, Waycool, if he has the luck you did with bears he will be catching them before he gets dogs !! I have never seen anyone go from never having even been on a bear with hounds hunt to treeing them on their own so fast!!!
This running coyotes with the hounds is a lot of fun and it helps pay the bills BUT I can hardly wait till I can start listening for tree beeps again !!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom