How’s the closure going?

Thats too bad. I would have thought the antlers were translated had I not seen a few on the ground with my own eyes before the opener.

I hiked 11 miles today. 5 in elk country where I saw at least 12-20 bulls from the pavement. Figured I’d find a couple elk sheds there, but nothing . Old boot tracks in the dried mud everywhere. More elk sign than I’ve ever seen. Hiked the other 6 miles in deer country and found 4 dink deer sheds that are bleached but this year’s. May 1st is ridiculous and unrealistic for the opener. Nobody waited for May 1. I’m sure the cheaters had a great time in March and April.

My son-in-law was out today in the area that he normally finds a good supply of brown gold.
Looks like none of the deer and elk actually shed their antlers this year. Has us scratching our heads.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::mad:

Zeke
Yep, mysteriously the antlers always seem to vanish before May 1. Must be those hungry porcupines and field mice eating them all cause the forest is pretty void of them when it’s legal to pick them up

I consider myself a smart shed hunter. Especially after hearing what my boy went through last night and today to not find anything lol!

Last edited:
It honestly doesn’t even sound a bit fun. Why, unless you are doing it for a business would you want to be any part of that cluster f0ck?

I used to shed hunt quite a bit, for fun. But that was pre flat brims. With the douche bag index as high as it is now just go fishing or bear hunting or something

You know it could be you guys just suck at shed hunting
There is that… haha ? I do alright when I get to go on a friends private ranch in March, but public in May I just tend to strike out… which has led me to pick up a fishing rod or Turkey hunt when I can, if I find any it’s usually incidentally from scouting or Turkey hunting, don’t go looking just for them anymore… although it was always a secondary bonus for me. I’d either be coyote hunting, Turkey hunting, or scouting and it was a bonus to find one. I wasn’t out there trying to make a living.

Last edited:
It honestly doesn’t even sound a bit fun. Why, unless you are doing it for a business would you want to be any part of that cluster f0ck?

I used to shed hunt quite a bit, for fun. But that was pre flat brims. With the douche bag index as high as it is now just go fishing or bear hunting or something
I’ve been doing it for 20 years, never antler hunted for money. Theres just something about glassing or walking up on a shed especially when it’s huge or a set. It definitely has gotten worse with the flat brimmer douches though. The internet hasn’t helped either. I still think it’s fun but would rather have an even playing field.
Nowadays I hike to stay in shape for the fall hunts or life in general, finding something is a bonus

I’d EcHo those sentiments there was obviously some premature “Anne Frank” stashing on a few WMAs, those who “found” some usually had the mother lode haul. More GD dead heads coming to the pavement than a Jerry Garcia 5k fund raiser.
Yea, my son saw two dudes kick the antlers off a deadhead elk and then go down to another and try the same. At that point, they pulled the head off and carried it out. My boy said there were quite a few dead heads being hauled off the mountain….assuming without dwr consent.

Not sure I understand this thought process?so they waited until it was legal to pick up a shed but broke the law hauling off deadheads….

My son called them in but never saw an officer up there.

He said the bottom of every draw stunk of rotting animals.

Yea, my son saw two dudes kick the antlers off a deadhead elk and then go down to another and try the same. At that point, they pulled the head off and carried it out. My boy said there were quite a few dead heads being hauled off the mountain….assuming without dwr consent.

Not sure I understand this thought process?so they waited until it was legal to pick up a shed but broke the law hauling off deadheads….

My son called them in but never saw an officer up there.

He said the bottom of every draw stunk of rotting animals.
I seen 8 different dead heads come to the trucks. I listened to the warden give a verbal no no to a guy who was doing a photo shoot with a rag horn in the bed of his truck, but no written warning or citation. Would’ve been a good year to pack the Hush endorsed harbor freight cordless sawzall if they’re not enforcing it.

I seen 8 different dead heads come to the trucks. I listened to the warden give a verbal no no to a guy who was doing a photo shoot with a rag horn in the bed of his truck, but no written warning or citation. Would’ve been a good year to pack the Hush endorsed harbor freight cordless sawzall if they’re not enforcing it.
Did you see the app the dwr has for reporting deadheads?

Again, this is just fantastic! Guys calling for even more regulations, outlawing of selling something you find laying on the ground and closing of public land to everyone for months and months out of the year!!

Just great idea all around folks . I got one, shed check stations where a tax is enforced by the pound for each shed you find. You guys gotta love the idea of getting the IRS involved here wouldn’t you?

Don't need any of those hysterics. Add sheds to the Lacey Act. Ends the market for sheds. The explosion of Chesser want to bes stop looking for horns. Leaves it for the guys that actually like to do it which is a much smaller number, lessening stress on animals.

If you truly like to shed hunt for exercise and collections, ending the market doesn't affect you at all.

History shows us, when there's a market on wildlife parts, the wildlife loses every time. This is no exception

Ya let's add more legislation, laws, fees and bureaucracy to our hobbies, limit more of our freedoms. That sounds like a good idea. Most of you boobs don't even shed hunt so why do you ***** so much about guys that do??? You don't do it so nobody should be able to? What a way to live a miserable life.

Hey wiif!

Give hossy a Break!

He Lost His Favorite Website & He Can't Sneak Swans Out of Farmington Bay anymore,This All in One Week!

And Of Course He's Pissed About Other Things As Well!

Ya let's add more legislation, laws, fees and bureaucracy to our hobbies, limit more of our freedoms. That sounds like a good idea. Most of you boobs don't even shed hunt so why do you ***** so much about guys that do??? You don't do it so nobody should be able to? What a way to live a miserable life.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom