How bad is Region H Deer population?

K

krkrueger

Hey Everyone,

I'm thinking of hunting Region H again this year. I was last out the fall of 2009. I know the last couple of winter have been real tough on the muleys. I wondering how bad it really is? Should I wait a couple of more years before coming out?

Thanks,
Kyle

I would look elsewhere to hunt, I have lived in G and H my entire life and I have never seen the herds so bad its sickening. Upper g and H are not as in bad of shape as lower g and southwest wyoming. I have been looking at deer in lower G and southwest wyo atleast 4 days a week since Nov and the best buck I have seen is 170. Almost all the bucks left are 2 3 and small 4 points and there is very few of them. There is absolutely no bucks left over 3 or 4 years old. There is places where all the deer died last year, I am not kidding there is no deer left at all in some place. In my opinoin and from what have seen and learned from the Wyoming game and fish Dep is that they dont care and will not do a damn thing to counter act the devestating winter. It doesnt matter if you wait 10 years to hunt wyoming again it will not be what it was before the harsh winter last year, and our deer herds weren't even close to good before.

I spent 11 days hunting moose in Unit 10 in 2011. I started about a week after the deer opener. I was mostly in Cliff Creek, on the Greyback Ridge and the Upper Hoback. I thought that the deer numbers were down. Between myself, my hunting partner and my son we saw very few bucks. I saw nothing worthy of a second look. In past years, we have taken and seen some very nice bucks. We saw very little in the secret out of the way little pockets and basins we have discovered over the years. I saw nothing wrong with the habitat. I have deer hunted this area on and off for the last 10 years. I have noticed more and more hunters in the area every year and not just for the opener. There are some hunters who hold out for a mature buck but most seem to kill the first 18"-24" 4x4 that shows. Although the habitat is great and the genetics super, I think H will continue to slide.

G&F doesn't seem to be too concerned about the situation.At least not enough to maybe shorten some seasons or some such action at the threat of losing revenue.Bottom line.Never do anything different.Never think outside the box.I agree with SSakitas that the herds are in very bad shape,and have been heading that way for awhile.IMO,if Wy doesn't take some type of action soon,the herds will have a very hard time rebounding.But then,I'm no biologist.

I can echo SSakitas statement, as I drive the winter range between Evanston and Kemmerer to work. Last year there were literally thousands deer at the beginning of the winter. This year there are maybe 500 deer. I have only seen one buck in the 175 class.

Well, it's started to look like I may have to wait a couple years. I love the area, almost want to make the trip just for the scenery. But I'm also a believer in letting the herd recover.

Thanks everyone.

Kyle

I agree with all. Ive been all over that country this year and havent seen much. Yesterday i saw more coyotes then i did buck deer. When the hell does that ever happen? Wyomings deer herd is done for, and like everyone else says its only going to get worse. And the finger goes to the Wyoming Game and Fish, I hope they are proud of thier amazing accomplishments. Way to go boys, i knew i could always count on you fellas to protect our deer herd!!

You guys are funny, the deer are down and the Game and fish can't make changes because of politics and a certain amount of hunters like the overcounter tag system, so were screwed on that front. But right now the deer are scattered because of the super mild conditions, thats why it seems so bad, it is bad, but not quite that bad.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-03-12 AT 03:44PM (MST)[p]Thats about the same thing I was told about Region D arround the Shirley Mountains.

We'll I'm doing my part, I keep asking them to reduce non rezi tags to three, but they won't listen to me either. Damn...

LAST EDITED ON Jan-03-12 AT 06:07PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-03-12 AT 05:40?PM (MST)

piper you are funny. You cant tell me that the reason I am not seeing any deer is because of the mild winter. Yeah it doesnt help but what you dont realize is that I have lived in this country my entire life I know every single place where deer winter some places nobody else knows about. I know where deer go and how they behave in heavy winters and I know where the deer go and how they behave in mild winters. I have spent more time following and watching deer in southwestern wyoming and western wyoming than you could possably imagine. And I am here to tell you its as bad as we think even worse in my opinion. There is just no deer left and its not because of a mild winter that I am not seeing any.

That's too bad. I think it's really too bad. I really wish you were wrong SSakitas but I'm afraid you absolutely correct.

I don't know if its as bad on the north end as the south, but maybe you guys are right. Im not seeing nearly as many deer now as I was during the rut,so I assumed they are just scattered because of the mild weather. I go to the early season meetings and complain about the buck hunting pressure and the amount of nonres tags every year, they just laugh and say there will be a seat for me next year. It would be nice to have more support,

Region D has good numbers of deer but very low numbers of mature bucks. The G&F are supposedly turning parts of D into limited quota units soon.

its kind of true in the greys river country, way too many hard hunting nonresidents. I also complain about the unlimited resident tags, should have mentioned that also.

It's interesting reading all of this. I don't get on here much but I do like to from time to time. I think it's both residents and non-residents both that pound the country. I myself enjoy the country for what it is but can only dream of what caliber of deer it would produce if managed properly. I have spent a 1 to 3 weeks in those mountains every year for the past several falls. The genetic capabilities of those animals are phenomenal. I have seen some true giants up there and have been in on some amazing harvests. I counted 47 different bucks in 7 days this year. I don't think any of them could have been over 3 ?. The largest was a 170 class buck that needed another year of growing. It could have been the heat and the more mature bucks were just timbered up, or it could have been the harsh winters, or it could have been I was in the wrong places at the wrong time?who knows. In my opinion, if the wyo g&f would pull their heads out of the sand and make it a limited area, and maybe look at some other states successful management techniques, it would only be a matter of time before it was world class mule deer hunting again. As a resident, I personally would give up hunting every year if I had a chance to draw once every few years or even longer. But unfortunately there are too many residents that would rather just buy a tag and go blast the first buck they saw with milk on its lips. It also falls on non-residents when they take a buck just to settle toward the end of the hunt. If it's not something you'd shoot the first day, then why shoot it the last? I hunt other states and know what it feels like to spend a large amount of money to go, and it's not a good feeling coming home empty handed. It's too bad it's not as simple as a vote?. Very limited tags and a chance at a once in a lifetime buck, or endless tags just to produce revenue until the herds are decimated?. Hmmmmm. Either way? there's always going to be someone unhappy. Anyone have any ideas on how to attack this from a political standpoint and make something happen? And to answer your question Kyle, there are still some good deer up there, but it's a fraction of what it should be due to all the different factors involved. I highly doubt it will ever be what any of us want it to be ever again unless the g&f do something to mitigate things. Good luck.

A few years ago I passed a petition around asking to have the G and F make the western side of the state a draw, cut tags way back and a few other things, I didn't draw it up, one of the outfitters in the greys area did, about 9 in 10 people signed it. I go to the meetings and talk about the sad management, mention Colorados quality, tell them about the current high tec weaponry, ect. I do it every year, even went to Jacksons season setting meeting where a commissioner listens, others do the same and it doesn't do any good. Talk to Gary Fralick, come to the meetings and speak up, comment on paper every time you can, it can't hurt, and who knows, in 50 years or so maybe things will change?

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom