How do you ship elk antlers?

ClarkW

I am trying to figure out how to ship elk antlers. I contacted FedEx and UPS with the question and they don't understand the odd shaped potential of them and just say throw them in a box. I can't find a box wide enough and tall enough. Has anyone had experince how to and the bets carrier to do this? Thanks.

I shipped a full shoulder mount. I went to a local furniture store and found a box of the proper size. Furniture boxes are usually a very heavy cardboard. I lined it with eggcrate foam. I then reinforced it with 1x4 cross bracing as needed to hold the mount, screwed them together and packed it with crumpled newspaper. Garden hose protected the antler tips and prevented any punctures. I had to use a motor freight carrier because of the size. mtmuley

+1 mtmuley, if its just shed antlers find a big fridge box and cut out what you need to make a box that will work.
Or just take a road trip

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

I've never done this, nor even really thought about it. Loved your answer (mtmuley). Well thought out!

Within the shadows, go quietly.

I used to ship elk antlers all the time on Ebay, but not anymore. USPS won't ship them if they are over the linear inch amount they allow. If you set up a UPS account, you can ship them, but haven't had much luck getting accurate quotes. DHL is cheap, but unreliable.
Like was said, protect the tips, make your own box, bubble wrap and ship.
After everything was said and done, just wasn't worth the time and effort to sell on Ebay anymore.

Water pipe wrap as it is already split down one side and just cut to size the tips and wrap with black tape.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom