How many bullets?

NVBighorn

Long Time Member
OK, this is a serious question. How many bullets do you take on a hunt where you are 200 miles from home and no where near a store and will be gone for as long as two weeks????

Here's the deal. I am taking a friend on a hunt in a couple weeks. It's a primo tag, basically once in a lifetime. But here's the catch. This hunter has never hunted with a rifle before. She has killed several deer and antelope with a bow and has hunted all her life. She can glass as well as almost any guy I know, she knows how to stalk and is in good shape. She is borrowing a rifle from me and we have been making weekly trips to the range to shoot. She shoots remarkably well. Possibly better than I do. She handles the gun like it's becoming second nature and has exhibited no flinch even when I tested her. She consistently puts all her shots into the kill zone at any range we have tried so far.

But!!! Here's the catch. If ANYTHING goes wrong I am going to feel like crap and like I'm responsible. With the shortage of powder and reloading components I have been concerned I might not end up with enough loaded ammo after all the practice and zeroing in. I have sort of solved that issue and have what should be enough of the final hunting components.

So tell me... how many bullets? Most likely the hunt could end with one shot fired. But then again I have been in situations where bad things happen and it takes a lot more. Scope gets knocked off, animal is wounded, buck fever... lots of things can go wrong. I'm just a worrisome old Basco and this is my current concern.

Sh!t happens. A person can fall down and need to sight in. On a hunt like that I take 50 maybe more. I take at least 50 Muzzleloader rounds every where I go. You might want to shoot a coyote, or sight in or what ever. I don't scrimp on shells. Ron

For obvious reasons I agree with the above post. However, what if rifle gets dropped (can happen) or a chip shot gets missed and you no longer have confidence in the rifle.
I always carry a collapsed cardboard box with a target taped to it for that reason when I go a long distance to a hunt. Put a rock in it and you have an instant target.
Then you go to shoot it and you need to make adjustments. Can happen.

I think a better idea, is to take a spare rifle and ammo. Most of us have them.
That way if you lose confidence in a rifle you have a back up.

Box of ammo for each should be adequate.

I think you should take cartridges not bullets.;)

Most women do shoot better then men, not sure why but all the gals I have guided on hunts have been one shot and done...but just for in case, 40 should be more than enough.

Happy Huntin,

NMBIGHORN

You'd Best Post a Pic of Her so We can give you an Honest Answer!

I wanna see who you're loaning your Gun to?

She does all this Huntin & She doesn't have Her own Big Game Rifle?

If She Misses that World Record Ram?

It's gonna be Your Fault!

Not only Would I take Extra Bullets!

I'd take a Spare Gun with Extra Bullets for it!

As mentioned above,SShit does & will Happen!

Does Ms NVB know how much time you're spending with this Chick?

I used to know of places worth Hiking in to for Elk & Deer!
Thanks to Illegal Bastards & the USFS not enforcing Rules you can Zing in to them Places on Wheelers now & not see a Damn thing!
But by GAWD it don't take long for them U-Tards to get there with all the Unethical BS and the New Technology!

1 in the pocket, 3 in the magazine, 10 in the pouch (belt) extra box in the trailer/truck =34

About fifty rounds. I like enough to fill my magazine, my belt mounted ammo pouch, and one round in each front pocket with the best part of a box or so of the same stuff to spare. I can live with the other box being different loads, for noise makers or if things really hit the fan.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

3 boxes at least, you just can't find 30-378 in a small town store or Basspro or Cabelas or anywhere.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

LOL!! Gator if you go through 1 box with that cannon it won't matter how many more you have. You will be so beat up that you would need 8+

Yes, cartridges. And each one should have a bullet. Of a certain caliber.

There will be a backup rifle in camp. It isn't my first choice for her but it will be there.

Bess, did you miss the part where I said she has always bowhunted?

I'm with the guys who say 40 to 50. Thanks for the responses. Just needed a reality check.

Ya!

I read it!

Loan Her your Bow & an Extra 50 Arrows!

You miss the Part where I asked to see a Picture of Her?

Thanks to Illegal Bastards & the USFS not enforcing Rules you can Zing in to them Places on Wheelers now & not see a Damn thing!
But by GAWD it don't take long for them U-Tards to get there with all the Unethical BS and the New Technology!

call me....I'll deliver if she runs out.......uh...does she have barbed wire on her arm???

When you go swimming in the ocean, it is very cold, and it makes my willy small

deersmall.jpg

That Ain't a field Tip!

Zigger, we won't be anywhere near Beatty. Not sure you could find us.

Bess, close your eyes and picture this...

"reality check."

How big are her boobs? Everything relates to that question.

Slick

"The Road goes on forever & the Party never Ends"

I bring at least 30 rounds. You never know what may come up.

How about that boob pic?

Too many tags= unhappy wife

I usually take about 40 rounds, even on wilderness hunts that I get flown into.

If going to Africa I would take more, probably 60 to 80.

Really? ,........No wonder it is so noisy in the woods.

One box should be plenty.

You can re-sight any scoped rifle with 5 rounds. If you miss another 5 rounds, you should take up golf!

"If you get upset or offended by ANY website forum
post.....especially mine, you need serious
intervention!"

Well that depends on the size of saddle she is riding on - 15 inches or 16 inches?

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

Is that pic photoshopped? His head looks 30% bigger than it should in comparison to his body. Whoever that is, they must be pretty unintelligent.

Too many tags= unhappy wife

As you can tell!

I'm Handicapped when it comes to Pictures!

That Buck woulda looked way Bigger If I had been standing at least 20 feet behind Him!

The Whole F'N Picture is Flat Ass UN-ETHICAL!!

Tongue Hangin out!

Bloody Tongue at that!

Full Camo & No Orange on,the Warden didn't even like that part!

And no Posse!

And a PISSCUTTER/DINK Buck anyway!

I think he makes you look... well... short. ;-)

Here's a double boob shot. Or is it triple? Or quadruple? I lose count. I think your tongue is hanging out in this one too.

8767b9jif4.jpg

I Thought this thread was about how many Bullets?

JUDAS!

Now You've got me in a Bind with My Girlfriend!

Thanks NVB!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom