How much more horn growth

BPKHunter

Very Active Member
I was in the high country and looked over ~15 bucks this weekend in S Central Idaho. Saw some decent bucks, nothing huge at all. Curious on how much more length they might add from here? I did see a lot of 3x4 type genetics unfortunately and either good fronts and weak backs, etc. Would be 1 or two decent bucks if we could get 3-4 more inches of tine length.

Thoughts?

PS Also saw a decent amount of elk and starting to see a fair number of calves and even one set of spotted twins. Hopefully it will be a better year in terms of critter production.

I saw a nice buck Sat. wider than his ears with good brow tines, at about 3 in or so. His tops were still growing and his rack was just at the splits front and back, both sides...he's gonna be a nice shooter when he's complete.

>mule deer grow and average of
>1/2" a day for 150
>days or there abouts

I really depends on when they shed off their antlers in the spring. Older bucks might be getting close to being done and young bucks still a month or more. If the ends of the antlers were pointy they are more than likely almost done. If there is still a ball at the end the still have growing to do. Feel free to correct if I am wrong

Remember that racks in velvet look about 20% bigger than without all the fuzzy stuff. So I have always thought that about this time of year it about =s out.

"We have met the enemy, and they is us!" Pogo

All of the bucks I seen yesterday were balled up at points. my guess is another 1-2" of lenghth??

LAST EDITED ON Jul-07-13 AT 10:08PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-07-13 AT 10:04?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Jul-07-13 AT 10:01?PM (MST)

Here is a pic of a buck on July 15th.

He was a great buck, I didn't shoot him he was my #2. He still grew about 2-3 more inches, per tine, by August 20th when I took the second pic of him without velvet. He had shed it the day before. Hope this helps.

52152011_unit_41-42_july15th_016.jpg

Well for some Dang reason the second pic won't show. But I can tell you that he grew about 2-3 inches per tine. That G3 on his left side split into a nice 3 inch extra. So from that date til the 20th of August that is about what you can expect. I have found that to be pretty true throughout mule deer country

Good luck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom