How much snow?

searcher

How much snow has south / south-central Wyoming received this winter? Is it shaping up to be a tough winter on the wildlife? I sure hope not. The muleys definitely need a good break.

So far, it's been a very easy winter. Only a couple of storms, with about 6 inches to a foot of snow on the winter ranges. It's getting down around 0 degrees at night around Evanston. The deer hanging around town still look as fat as butterballs.

G&F is predicting higher than average winter mortality in many areas-regardless of snow.This is due to the intense drought conditions we had last year.Of course,heavy snow will make it worse.Subzero temps the last few nights won't help,either.However,the temps are predicted to rise as this week progresses,and the long term forecast for the remainder of winter is for less than normal snows and above average temps.

Bear in mind that these predictions are not for the entire state-they are localized.

Deer in units 101 and 102 could be affected worse than high country deer due to their desert environment,which endured the worst range conditions in over 100 years.

Town deer have better eats,so it stands to reason their chances of survival would be much better than other deer.

What I find interesting is that some will come on here and give the "end of the world" deer speach because the snow fall...then out of the next sentence they come back on and inform the MM world that, even though they reported a million feet of snow, the deer will be killed yet again by a drought driven winter.

I wish their minds would be made up one way or another.

I don't know what your point is,but your post doesn't make much sense,Travis.I was merely pointing out what Wyoming Game and Fish is predicting.It wasn't a speach...it was more of a speech.

Thank you nontypical and bucklover for your comments. This thread has turned into the reason why I don't post much on MM any more. I was asking a legit question about the winter conditions and someone has to fire off a senseless cyber attack from the safety of his keyboard. I grew tire of dealing with spoiled children a long time ago. Thanks again for the constructive comments.

Searcher

Pretty mild here in the SE corner and even in the Upper North Platte. We are at 20-30% of normal for snow in the Laramie Range and 70-90% in the Snowies (last I checked). But that can change quickly.

One thing I saw was that October was our only month above normal for precip in 2012. Then November was very warm and mild. Even through mid December, things were really temperate. There was green grass - newly generated from the fall moisture - until December. I even saw some bitterbrush that put out new leaves in November. And the deer and elk I saw actually gained considerable condition in November and until mid December. That's a blessing.

I was out in some winter country looking for a cow elk and lion tracks last weekend and I followed tracks from 15-20 elk. They came to a 20 foot square of winterfat (four-winged saltbush) and literally ate those plants clear to the ground. I've never seen that before; they actually pawed the dirt for big areas around each plant and sent dirt out like a buffalo bull in the rut. They even ate the woody stems.

Anyway, things look OK so far but we're just getting started. My thoughts are that we're way better off than I thought we'd be right now. Good luck Tim and sorry these posts all turn in to something for the ethics police and into controversy where none should exist.

Here is an article from last month.
http://k2radio.com/wyo-snowpack-down-slightly-on-average/
The article indicates the Snake River drainage is in the Northeastern area. It is actually in the Northwestern part of the state.

I think the Wyoming range overall is similar to the Snake River drainage. Through November it was mild with little moisture. December made up for it. I still keep hearing that the rest of the winter will be warmer and drier. I think the southeastern part of the state has and will continue to suffer the effects of drought the worse. I don't know what the winter range around Pinedale, Kemmerer and Evanston are like right now on the Western and Southwestern side.

Thanks for all the comments. Hopefully WY gets some decent moisture this spring. I would like to make at least one more trip to my honey hole.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom